My vision of a Surface "Phone"

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
One that is supported by fully MS for more than a few years instead of abandoning it.

Agree. MS would make very bad fishermen. They put their lines in the water and if they don't get bites they fold thier rods up and go home. Need to change bait, maybe locations and continue fishing. Don't give up so fast.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

soulcancer

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
1. copy the S8 design but keep the buttons on one side.
2. put dual flashes on the front on either side of the phone and the fingerprint on the center.
3. SD card
4. headset Jack
5. BETTER INTERACTION AND SYNCING WITH THE PC.
6. Apps.

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
And my dream of the Surface Phone had come true.

Index - Tech - Rádupláztak az oroszok a mobilkijelzőre

Only it is still not the Surface phone. Already another nail in the coffin of whatever Microsoft is to come up with. I've loved to see something like this with the e-paper display serving as a glance screen and the e-reader mode of Edge in the surface phone. Something like this could replace my Lumia 950 for sure in the future if there is no Microsoft alternative by the time it fails on me and there is no other Lumia 950 left on the market.

Sorry, about the foreign language article! Windows Central has wasted enough time of mine by not placing anything on the forum page coming from their app that would let me sign-in or write a comment on the thread, and having me forced to figure out the only thing I can do is to attempt to quote someone to forward me to a login page, that I don't feel like researching on an English-language article already.

vacancy job

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
If running win10S for the new Surface phone will be wasted Windows on Arm effort.
My wish on surface phone must be high end and on par with the latest phone design.
Most importantly have a full windows when continuum, meaning it really can replace you pc, can install exe file.
There can be a cheaper win10S version, but full win10 is a must.
And sure dual sim, dual camera, finger print reader, iris scanner...etc.
So there can be some accessories like hp lapdock or like a bigger screen 12" 10" which can attach to the phone olin order to access full wondows.
When there only a phone then will be a CShell optimized for touch for a normal phone did.

Vivio vrvly

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
1. First, I could take even 1500€/$ price, if there was some sort of store for hw in my country, it isn't right now.
If device is to be supported for at least 3 years, even such price is right. Rather pricy great device, than cheap garbage.
2. If it won't be device like AR glasses(probably won't), I wish it is able to use AR a lot, be it work or fun. It definitely got great potential as social feature, well fast network would be needed.
3. Off grid AI to ensure safe running of apps is a must, probably not so needed for phone like device, but definitely important part of glasses, as you wont be able to walk or ride without being sure nothing will block your vision.
4. Next important thing is for it to have pen and detection of it when trying to write memo/note on off-screen,...
5. Triple cameras for each color(R,G,B) for big resolution and great low light, also depth sensing,..
6. Always on AI
7. gears like watch, band, 360 camera, AR mount on head for that device, smart shirts,pants,scales,everything..
8. 3D vector screen
9. Great battery whats important for a lot of computing power
10. Being able to be charged or to charge connected devices over few meters
11. Home devices(black,white tech), car, bicycle, skateboard and being able to control them
12. Being able to control everything using Cortana - from devices to payments and suggestions using AR.
I will just stop here, there is just no end to this imaginary surface.

Shahim Mohammed

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Well, this got me thinking, and this is what I came up with:
(Pardon the crappy renders, I did it in Powerpoint. Maybe somebody here could do a better render)

Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Picture3.jpg
Picture4.jpg

Features:
  • Foldable design (obviously)
  • Single High Quality camera on one side. To switch from normal to selfie mode, you just switch to the screen on the back.
  • Windows 10 on ARM. Behaves like a phone with switchable screens when folded. Becomes a full PC when opened
  • Automatically switch screens based on how you are holding the phone (Microsoft has a patent for this : Link)
  • Small kickstand when unfolded, to use in desktop mode

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
If running win10S for the new Surface phone will be wasted Windows on Arm effort.
My wish on surface phone must be high end and on par with the latest phone design.
Most importantly have a full windows when continuum, meaning it really can replace you pc, can install exe file.
There can be a cheaper win10S version, but full win10 is a must.
And sure dual sim, dual camera, finger print reader, iris scanner...etc.
So there can be some accessories like hp lapdock or like a bigger screen 12" 10" which can attach to the phone olin order to access full wondows.
When there only a phone then will be a CShell optimized for touch for a normal phone did.
Unless Centennial Bridge is to be enhanced in such a way that it will be able to run Win32 apps in a container on-the-fly somehow due to this.

Gregory Newman

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Since Developers do not like to port apps to Windows phones but do put new apps in the Windows PC 10 store. The "Surface" Smart phone must be able to run any apps including the new UWP apps and the win 32 Centennial converted desktop PC Programs that are in the Windows 10 PC store. this makes the Surface smart phone have thousands of apps and PC programs available for the owner to use when it comes to the market place. As new apps are added to the Windows 10 PC store the "Surface" Smart phone gets a new app. the Surface smart phones must have a 6 inch screen or be a 7/8 inch single or dual screen Mini tablet

MikeB0514

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
As much as I would love to remain in the windows ecosystem I don't know if a surface phone makes much sense anymore. I think MS lost as a mobile maker. I mean really, they've burned people over and over again who will trust them again other than a few dedicated souls? So I think the best thing MS can do is take their apps, and make them available across the platforms. Edge included, maps etc. That makes the most sense.

As far as interesting concepts, the most interesting concept was the foldable phone. Except Samsung is working on it too so it's not so unique.

Yes, after the last "reboot", Windows on Phone is dead. Microsoft's new approach seems to be focusing around cellular PCs running full Windows. I expect the Surface Mobile (not Phone) to be a PC foremost, with cellular capabilities (data, text, voice) and not a phone-sized device. Continuum 2.0 will provide the productivity needs of the desktop, a fold-able screen will help with portability - but don't expect anything smaller than 6-7". Only after critical mass of adoption of these next gen devices (along with 3rd-party UWA's), will MS consider phones again.

FlyLikeAnEagle

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
For me it should have an excellent stylus, so that it can be used similarly to the Surface Pro.
With all the great note taking features which have been added to OneNote, it would be very useful to have a small, pocketable device which can be used for note-taking.

Lepoete

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
-Foldable or clip-on keyboard, 6-7 inch.
-Windows on ARM (not Windows 10S or possibility to unlock to real WoA to run real non-store apps).
-Or one day if Intel gets there to have it on Intel based.

The most important part for me is to possibly replace a computer, so running real Win32 non-store apps when on Continuum mode is primordial. Anything less than that wouldn't be a "Surface" device but just another Lumia.

tk825

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Make a dummy laptop shell with an opening where the track pad is. Give the phone pogo pins like the surface/keyboard. The phone drops into the laptop she'll and becomes the trackpad like in continuum. Make it flush with laptop. Push a button to pop it back out.

Must have full windows 10s experience through continuum on dummy shell. True laptop replacement.

Keep up with other companies and minimal bezels.

Vivien R

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Even if the hardware is amazing lacking of apps is worthless....
I really loved my 930, but without apps was a pain. Sure, I can go to browser, but many sites still crappy used with touch, apps are still important. Now I'm on a Samsung G7 Edge, and while the start was rough, now things bit sunnier, because at least I have access the apps I used, or need when I travel.

From device side?
Pen input for sure! And its should be well recognized all over the screen like in good old Pocket Pc days...
Great Camera
Water proofing
Great Audio - like Dolby in 930 (not that crap what Samsung have)
Not more than 6"
No need for 4k screen resolution
Least 8h on screen time
No need for audio jack if its helps for water proofing
Support for 3rd party wearables

Gregory Newman

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Since Developers do not like to port apps to Windows phones but do put new apps in the Windows PC 10 store. The "Surface" Smart phone must be able to run any apps including the new UWP apps and the
win 32 Centennial converted desktop PC Programs that are in the Windows 10 PC store. this makes the
Surface smart phone have thousands of apps and PC programs available for the owner to use when it comes to the market place. As new apps are added to the Windows 10 PC store the "Surface" Smart
phone gets a new app. the Surface smart phones must have a 6 inch screen or be a 7/8 inch single or dual screen Mini tablet

Andreasjva

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
A few cool fun features might be...

A built-in projection keyboard

Laser projector/pointer where you can project text messages, etc. Maybe photos as well, but text would be great

Then the must haves...

A massive battery

Large ultra hi res screen

Dual camera's need to be the best of the best

Obviously a full OS

Obviously the fastest processor available

Lots of base ram

minimum 64gb

expansion sd card slot(s)

audio jack

usb lightening, or at least something as good or better. We're all over the old stuff

wireless charging

camera buttons

mini display port

kickstand

quality sound

waterproof up to several feet

hi durability

no edge glass

designed for a good durable case (not like the s7 edge)

And finally, a cappuccino maker...

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I think MS lost as a mobile maker.

As far as interesting concepts, the most interesting concept was the foldable phone. Except Samsung is working on it too so it's not so unique.

Thanks everyone for responding.

Definition of Mobile is going to change. As More power comes, single app running devices wont rule forever. Split screen on Android is kinda worthless right now. There is room for professionals to BYOD and not have to carry a laptop. This is the niche MS should target right now and the hope it becomes "COOL"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786