A dark day

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. Look up project Astoria. MS tried this to some degree of success in 2015. They killed it in early 2016. Wish I had my screenshots of android apps running on my HTC M8.

Unfortunately it had a major issue in that it potentially infringed on developer revenue and was killed.

https://venturebeat.com/2016/02/25/...-tool-for-porting-android-apps-to-windows-10/

Sent from mTalk on my 950xl

Had they kept it, I wouldnt have left. I wonder how BlackBerry got away with it back when they still had a dedicated OS?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
That's your porogative and I can respect that. Can't say my experienced with Samsung at all resembles yours, going by what you've described, and won't ever say they are perfect cuz nothing ever is. But they have excelled for my type of usage and actually exceeded my expectations which is good for me.

If things had turned out differently with Windows Phone I can pretty much garantee I'd still be here guns ablazing, but sadly that wasn't to be. Now having a taste, for some time, of the other side, pretty hard to take WM seriously especially considering its present state.

Personally, I can adapt to any platform with the higher end be my comfort zone. See the good and bad in them all with Android working for me at the moment.

I admit that Samsung usually makes well-featured and attractive phones. The S7 marked the first Samsung phone that offered a fantastic design, build quality, and feature set for a long while. Wireless charging, a headphone jack, microSD, water resistance... should be perfect right? But despite the fact that all the features I want are present, I just don't enjoy the user experience. Now I'd love to get my hands on a V30. Other than the questionable LG launcher that is a dream phone.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Had they kept it, I wouldnt have left. I wonder how BlackBerry got away with it back when they still had a dedicated OS?

Blackberry got away with it because they had already given up on their own store. They were in worst shape than Windows phones by a considerable margin. It was a viable option for them. Not so much for a company that is (was?) trying to bolster their store with native apps.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I admit that Samsung usually makes well-featured and attractive phones. The S7 marked the first Samsung phone that offered a fantastic design, build quality, and feature set for a long while. Wireless charging, a headphone jack, microSD, water resistance... should be perfect right? But despite the fact that all the features I want are present, I just don't enjoy the user experience. Now I'd love to get my hands on a V30. Other than the questionable LG launcher that is a dream phone.

Never perfect cuz nothing is, but I get your drift. Android's OS does vary depending on device/manufacture with not all being created equal.

Yeah I was eyeing up the V30 too, curious to see how that lens with the f/1.6 aperture performs. I'm always up for a better camera.

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I only switched to Android because my Icon bricked itself. I got the S8+ and I like the feature set of the phone. There are some things my WM devices did out of the box that I find hard to believe I can't get the S8 to do (mainly playing nice with Audi 3G MMI) but I will chill in Android land with occasional complaints and will keep hoping Microsoft dreams something up to get me (and a large portion of people) back (on to) the WM platform. The user experience was far easier IMO than Android, maybe this will change when O drops, but I doubt it.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Never perfect cuz nothing is, but I get your drift. Android's OS does vary depending on device/manufacture with not all being created equal.

Yeah I was eyeing up the V30 too, curious to see how that lens with the f/1.6 aperture performs. I'm always up for a better camera.
I had a V10 loved it until it went into the famous LG bootloop right after the warranty period. I won't buy another LG phone. They knew it was an issue yet didn't help me out.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I had a V10 loved it until it went into the famous LG bootloop right after the warranty period. I won't buy another LG phone. They knew it was an issue yet didn't help me out.

Does happen - My first Microsoft Store purchase ended up being a fiasco when our L650 "arrived" with a fatal flaw. Took month getting it sorted then ended buying from a 3rd party seller since MSFT couldn't deliver, I was strung along with nothing but broken promises and was like pulling hens teeth to get my money back - So as you can see "You win some and you lose some" occasionally.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Does happen - My first Microsoft Store purchase ended up being a fiasco when our L650 "arrived" with a fatal flaw. Took month getting it sorted then ended buying from a 3rd party seller since MSFT couldn't deliver, I was strung along with nothing but broken promises and was like pulling hens teeth to get my money back - So as you can see "You win some and you lose some" occasionally.
Well it's even worse when a company knows it has an OS issue on a device and won't stand by it and yet still sells it. Criminal in my mind.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

From what I've seen, the V30 does absolutely fantastic in low light with that camera, and the wide angle lens is by far the best it's ever been. I've heard the V30 is up there with the best for stills and easily the best video camera on a smartphone you can buy. I've got a list depending on how much I decide to spend. I'll wait for the Pixel XL 2 to come out and see where that stands, but right now my list looks like this:
LG V30
OnePlus 5
Moto X4
Moto G5 Plus

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
From what I've seen, the V30 does absolutely fantastic in low light with that camera, and the wide angle lens is by far the best it's ever been. I've heard the V30 is up there with the best for stills and easily the best video camera on a smartphone you can buy. I've got a list depending on how much I decide to spend. I'll wait for the Pixel XL 2 to come out and see where that stands, but right now my list looks like this:
LG V30
OnePlus 5
Moto X4
Moto G5 Plus

V30 could be my calling then if it matches the hype I've been reading. If the G6 hadn't been launched w/last years specs I'd probably be sporting one now but haven't quite written it off yet, its price is becoming more enticing with each new device launch as of late LOL. Still have my old LG G4 which turned out to be one of my better devices, and still holds it own in my opinion. Thankfully ours hasn't succumbed to the notorious boot-loop issues many have reported.

If the Pixel 2/XL negates expandable storage abilities, again, it definitely won't be on my list for consideration as that's one thing I'm pretty steadfast about.

Seeing the upward pricing trend with Apple, Note 8, and others, we might have to lower our standards. Not a fan of disposable devices which is what I feel they are moving towards. Forgo the metal and glass and give me a phone built like my L950 as we'd be perfectly fine with that, all my phones end up with a case any way. Metal and glass are just adding to the costs and making repairs near impossible and/or expensive, an IP67/68 rating isn't a must in my world either.

Not much on my list other than anticipating the arrival of the V30, which might turn out to be too big for my liking. But curious to see what Samsung does with the S9 and LG's G7, if anything at all. Obviously we'll be waiting for quite some time before we see those two emerge.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
V30 could be my calling then if it matches the hype I've been reading. If the G6 hadn't been launched w/last years specs I'd probably be sporting one now but haven't quite written it off yet, its price is becoming more enticing with each new device launch as of late LOL. Still have my old LG G4 which turned out to be one of my better devices, and still holds it own in my opinion. Thankfully ours hasn't succumbed to the notorious boot-loop issues many have reported.

If the Pixel 2/XL negates expandable storage abilities, again, it definitely won't be on my list for consideration as that's one thing I'm pretty steadfast about.

Seeing the upward pricing trend with Apple, Note 8, and others, we might have to lower our standards. Not a fan of disposable devices which is what I feel they are moving towards. Forgo the metal and glass and give me a phone built like my L950 as we'd be perfectly fine with that, all my phones end up with a case any way. Metal and glass are just adding to the costs and making repairs near impossible and/or expensive, an IP67/68 rating isn't a must in my world either.

Not much on my list other than anticipating the arrival of the V30, which might turn out to be too big for my liking. But curious to see what Samsung does with the S9 and LG's G7, if anything at all. Obviously we'll be waiting for quite some time before we see those two emerge.

The G6 is a good phone, and you can nab it unlocked for a good price now. And that's exactly why the V30 is so exciting for me. It fixes every. single. issue that anyone had with the G6 and looks like a much better all around device. More cohesive, beautiful design with far superior ergonomics. Better, more powerful hardware. A superior camera. An OLED display. Headphone jack. Reasonably placed finger print sensor. No regional oddities like only some models getting some features. All models get EVERYTHING like the audio DAC and the wireless charging. And all of this undercutting the Note 8 by two hundred dollars? I'll take it. Everything I've seen says this is the best LG we've ever seen. The best display, the best camera, the best performance. And it has decent (if not extraordinary) battery life. Oh, and it's waterproof and has expandable storage. I've haven't been able to get excited by an LG since the G4, and even then I felt that was a pretty mediocre year for phones overall. The V30, if there are no random faults or problems, is at the top of my list. The Pixel XL 2 looks like it's not going to have wireless charging, expandable storage, dual cameras, and it's going to cost far more. The only thing it'll have going is awesome software support.

Sorry about the long, really messy response. Didn't really think about my answer before spewing it out haha.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree electronics are not perfect. But an OS issue that renders a phone bricked and they keep selling it it beyond reasonable. These things are so darn expensive and we should get better support.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Did everyone see Bill Gates on Fox News Sunday? He is sporting an Android phone with MS software. I think that should tell everyone about MS's mobile future.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If I ever went back to Android (I had a Note 4 and I didn't like the notification system mess, lack of OS updates and ton of Samsung bloatware) I may go for a Nokia Android phone (the irony). Purely because they provide as close to stock and vanilla Android as you can get. That's the same as replicating Windows phone and its app gap, so I'll be fine.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
If I ever went back to Android (I had a Note 4 and I didn't like the notification system mess, lack of OS updates and ton of Samsung bloatware) I may go for a Nokia Android phone (the irony). Purely because they provide as close to stock and vanilla Android as you can get. That's the same as replicating Windows phone and its app gap, so I'll be fine.
I hear what you're saying. I think the closest to "pure" Android are the pixels. They get all the updates the quickist. I kind of don't like the "pure" Android statement that is prevelent today. The good thing about Android is the fact that its so programmable that it can be whatever you want it to be. So the very fact manufacturers are releasing different launchers and things is really the purest of Android don't you think? I'm with you on the bloatware, It's terrible.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I hear what you're saying. I think the closest to "pure" Android are the pixels. They get all the updates the quickist. I kind of don't like the "pure" Android statement that is prevelent today. The good thing about Android is the fact that its so programmable that it can be whatever you want it to be. So the very fact manufacturers are releasing different launchers and things is really the purest of Android don't you think? I'm with you on the bloatware, It's terrible.

I am not a fan of Google or its services though, so I wouldn't get a Pixel, even though they are good phones. I quite like the Xiaomi brand though. One thing I don't like about Android, that iOS has in its favour, is the deep fragmentation. There is no standard for how the UI looks or works or when phones get software updates and so on.

Sure, Android is quite with the sheer level of depth that it can be customised, but I would just prefer a phone that works and does what I need it to do as is. Perhaps that is why I am still with Windows phone.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I am not a fan of Google or its services though, so I wouldn't get a Pixel, even though they are good phones. I quite like the Xiaomi brand though. One thing I don't like about Android, that iOS has in its favour, is the deep fragmentation. There is no standard for how the UI looks or works or when phones get software updates and so on.

Sure, Android is quite with the sheer level of depth that it can be customised, but I would just prefer a phone that works and does what I need it to do as is. Perhaps that is why I am still with Windows phone.
I understand for sure, maybe an iPhone in your future? I don't say that to troll just to suggest that maybe that would work best for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077