Does iPhone X grab you?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I can afford it, but I simply refuse to throw my money away. I won't judge anybody who buys one because it's none of my business and I just don't care to be perfectly honest. But since the thread is about an opinion, I'll gladly opine. It's no different than spending extra bread for a custom color (PT Barnum lives).

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
There are far too many posts for me to bother reading through all of them (Jesus guys, it's been a day), but here are my thoughts:
The iPhone X is one ugly phone. I'm sorry, that's just my opinion. As much as I think the iPhone 8 and 8+ are incredibly boring (essentially the same design four years running but with a glass back now... yaaaay -.-) they still look nicer than what the X is doing. From the front it looks ridiculous and everything I've seen about that notch screams ugly hardware. And from what I've seen the software really doesn't play nice with the notch either. Weird gaps, things overlapping and disappearing underneath it, etc. From every other angle it's just a below average phone. It's surprisingly ugly. I'm not an Apple fan but I respect that they always come out with clean, good looking phones. The X does not have a thousand dollar design. It's the kind of hardware design I expect to see come out of a knock off Chinese company.
Features wise, yeah, it's pretty cool. It has a really well-rounded set of features that makes it the best iPhone to date, and the first one that truly stands toe-to-toe with Android flagships on the spec front. But it's not worth anywhere close to $1,000. The LG V30 is a far more interesting phone with a goooorgeous design (seriously, the V30 in dark blue is a beaut) but is going to cost $250 less. And it's going to have a larger, higher resolution display without the stupid notch in a body that's more ergonomic, and is thinner, and lighter, and not much larger in any other dimension.

So, no, the iPhone X is not exciting for me. In fact, it's a very in-Apple product, in my opinion. It seems strangely unfinished. I will say though that the camera set up looks very, very promising, and that the software gestures to replace the home button seem innovative. Other than that, either buy an Android, stick to your Windows, or buy an iPhone 8/+.

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You said the take away in jest, why? I have wireless charging, windows hello and a QHD AMOLED screen now on my 950. Plus I have continuum (which works well in my use scenario), a replaceable battery and can add a ton of storage for a fraction of the Apple upcharge.

I have seen no real world reports on FaceID, so I'll reserve judgement on how well there's works. My 950 has trouble with it in bright sunlight, but otherwise hits it in a second or two.

Glass back and front... Okay, since 95% of owners will use a case, who cares.

Camera improvements... I should hope so being three generations away from my 950, but it still takes great shots... And has a shutter button.

Apps, apps, apps... Not an issue for me.

I'll save a fortune and pick up an Elite X3 if I just have to upgrade.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
the only thing "WOW" is the price. And that's the problem with crApple nowadays. Anything new is always impressive at first, until its out dated within months. We've had wireless charging even on our measly platform, tap to wake, face/eye unlock just to name a few of the features they just invented... or at least what the fanboys will claim.

sco0by1

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
See for me, I really do not want to jump ship mainly for one reason and one reason only...Cortana. I get why people are anti-WM, no apps or lack of anyway. But although there are a few i wish i did have, i have learned to live without them. I tried the Galaxy S7 and instantly regretted it. I have to have Cortana, best assistant EVER. Siri can't even touch her. The Iphone X looks amazing, can lie and say it doesn't, but until I see that phones Siri in action, I'm staying put. HP Elite X3 all the way.

Younes Mirzaie

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm not spending that crazy amount of money on a phone, ever! A few months ago I retired my Lumia 830 and bought an iPhone 6 for a very low price... I think that will do until Microsoft comes up with a new and promising Windows mobile platform. I wonder how people say 500$ for the most advanced gaming console (One X) is a lot but everyone goes crazy when a 1000$ iPhone with a fancy oled plus more of the same is announced.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
If I go to Apple, I dump all things MS - OneDrive I like. But if I change ecosystems - it goes too. Rather just have one deal with. yup, I would even by a Mac for a desktop. Mostly because MS cannot be trusted for the end user.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If I go to Apple, I dump all things MS - OneDrive I like. But if I change ecosystems - it goes too. Rather just have one deal with. yup, I would even by a Mac for a desktop. Mostly because MS cannot be trusted for the end user.

What about the Band 3?

jmreuter

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
But...but...nobody is going to mention the real killer feature? I mean, who else has the animated poo emoji? Now that is certainly worth $1000+.

Seriously, though, one has to wonder if they do stuff like that just as an inside joke on stupid customers.

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
And would you move to one from your Windows phone if you're still using one

They'll have to pry my 950 from my cold, dead clutch in order to put one of those things in my hands. My 950 is going strong and I've got another brand new one in the drawer ready to go. Hell, I'd rather get out one of my old Icons and go back to Verizon than get an iPhone. Am actually considering an HP X3, but the 950 just keeps doing everything I need, so they'll have to turn out the lights on me before I let it go.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the Iphone X grabs me. It a beast of a phone. The processor, the GPU, the Animate Emoji in REAL TIME feature, the dual camera stabilization, light mode when taking snapshots, VR gaming, wireless charging, waterproofing and more. How could you not be impressed with what this phone is bringing to the table? Granted we have only seen press release type stuff but with that A11 processor that can calculate 600 billion calculations in a second. its the hardware for the ages. If you are not impressed, nothing impresses you.

xpmymob

May 20, 2015
Visit site
No!!!! I will still use my Windows 10 Phone. I have a collection from the Lumia 640, 650, 950 and 1520. I dont see a reason to switch. I may even add the HP Elite X3 in the near future if the prices fall further as I still believe in Windows Phone and its future. I think that Microsoft do a clear makeover of their mobile business because most people are actually not even aware a Windows Mobile phone exists and the kind of features it offers. When I look at other friends showing off their features I simply tell them that see I had this feature a couple of years back! So I think Microsoft needs to get more mobile manufacturers on board and relaunch their products and do a proper customer end marketing to show off their features. Remember the Connect Challenge / Meet your Match / Smoked by Windows challenges? The issue with Microsoft is it develops a great product but does not communicate! Other mobile platforms even if they create a new emoticon release an ad! My point is however small or big a feature is it needs to be communicated to the end user and also inform them how secure their plaftorm is
View attachment 137387

So, the worst kept secret is official and Apple just announced the iPhone X (pronounced 10 because of course.) Sure, that display is incredibly impressive, but is the rest of the phone really that revolutionary?

Face ID looks a lot like Windows Hello doesn't it? How about that wireless charging your old Lumia 920 didn't have?!

Jesting aside there are some impressive looking features on it, but is it really the benchmark for the next 10 years as Apple claims?

And would you move to one from your Windows phone if you're still using one? Is it the one you've been waiting for?!

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, not for me. I'll stick with my Lumia 950 for another year or two to see if Microsoft bother to do anything in the mobile space.

If cshell and windows on arm doesn't catapult them into developing some sort of mobile device then it'll be time to move to android.

Apple does nothing for me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos