Does iPhone X grab you?

Richard Devine

Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
apple-iphone-x.JPG

So, the worst kept secret is official and Apple just announced the iPhone X (pronounced 10 because of course.) Sure, that display is incredibly impressive, but is the rest of the phone really that revolutionary?

Face ID looks a lot like Windows Hello doesn't it? How about that wireless charging your old Lumia 920 didn't have?!

Jesting aside there are some impressive looking features on it, but is it really the benchmark for the next 10 years as Apple claims?

And would you move to one from your Windows phone if you're still using one? Is it the one you've been waiting for?!

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Looks kewl and all but don't think it's for me. I'm always impressed w/Apple's delivery/presentation over the actual products themselves, strange I know. Only saw tidbits of the event so can't comment fully and will wait until someone does a review, curious to see how it does under real world usage.

In the end I'll probably will stick w/Android occasionally firing up one of my Windows Phone's for nostalgic purposes LOL. But think my wife might like the new iPhone X.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I love the portrait lighting for the selfie camera and it has some cool things but not for me. I'm scared for the battery life on that.
2 hours more than the iPhone 7 has is not encouraging at all to me.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure, we're getting to a point where we don't have a lot of options. While this looks interesting, it's still the same boring OS when you break it down.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Am I seriously the only one noticing this phone is just a mere-MEH. phone? SOme of its ''new'' features have already been on Past Lumia phones.

Wireless charging was introduced on what? Lumia 800? 900?
What about the card stack style of apps? It's not just part of Lumia, but also WebOS,
then going back to facial/eye recognition, that's been on past lumias.
none of these impressed me because theyve been on my phone since 5-6 years ago.
damn microsoft for not patenting this.

I feel like apple actually just caught up. same with samsung.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Am I seriously the only one noticing this phone is just a mere-MEH. phone? SOme of its ''new'' features have already been on Past Lumia phones.

What about the card stack style of apps? It's not just part of Lumia, but also WebOS,

You mean Apple copied stuff? No way

Twitter: @PhotographyET

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I like the fact that they just didn't go for an edge to edge screen in name only but ditched virtual buttons as well and added new gestures to control the phone. Surprised no one has mentioned how similar is it to Nokia's cancelled Meego. And I bet you this will be the next hot new thing android OEM's copy for their models next year. Not to mention the cool things they are doing with the camera, its a far cry from anything Microsoft is likely to come up with anytime soon.

Its irrelevant that they are late with some features, more important is that those features will work practically flawlessly. Compared to the so called software giant Microsoft who just managed to add a GATT server to their phones but still cant get Bluetooth in general to work without failing mid song. So I personally think its an expensive but good step forward, and after all aren't people always complaining that smartphones have stagnated? Plus they chose Qi wireless so that ensures more places to charge my phones which is a win for me so yay!

May 15, 2017
Visit site
at least in the past, iphones for their faults(and this is coming from an admitted anti-apple guy) still looked kinda cool. the new iphone x just looks ugly. 1. imo, because of the long shape of phones, vertical dual camera placement on phones - if not done right - takes away from the sleekness. iphone x's placement does not look neat at all.. 2. front display also looks sloppy due the permanently black area (the part with the front camera and sensors)breaking up the screen - same issue i had with the essential x. 3 for all the claims about being bezel-less, it doesn't look it. in fact it looks like a bumper case is permanently attached around the edges.

add into the fact that alot on the "first on apple" list i read on another site are things that we've seen before but just things apple claims to do "better", color me not impressed.

i just had a thought about how it used to be, a long time ago, that apple used to set trends and brands in asia followed their lead. now its the other way around.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site

Guess it all depends what side of the fence you're on whether it's "MEH" or "Supercalifragilisticexpialidociou", right?

I never look at it as "who brought it first" yet on a personal note, I do feel "they did bring it!".

My main concern is how pricing with many of these manufactures is starting to hit the stratosphere. Of sorts it relates to your comment about their innovations not being all that new, new to the iPhone but not in general terms of technology. So top tier iPhone X w/256GB here in Canada will fetch approx $1700 plus which is insane. Thankfully I'm not on the iPhone bandwagon but like I say, others are following suite.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Just from reading briefly the A11 chip is something to be recognized. They have to have an impressive group engineering their SoC/OS...
The stuff around it Sapphire glass and what not are just the icing on top...It will still sell even if it costs over 1k. Even if the OS uses a couple more gestures than the last, or if it has cool tricks to unlock it now. It is fashionably appropriate for some, and heck...it's Apple. Since it is one of a kind it will get noticed, even if it does everything that has been done or is being done already, all because it is an iPhone. I would not shell out the cash that this is worth for something I need to use to call/text/email and use my calendar for. Unless I suppose I was a die hard apple user. There are some other things under the hood Apple might not be totally opening up on about it. Does anyone know if AR/MR/VR or IoT is at all in the plans with this device?

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't do anything for me. There are Android phones that are a lot more interesting (to me) and for a lot less money. I read about some of them and wish they were running Windows 10.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Way too much money for tech that has been mainstream for years on other devices.
Face ID is something new.
As far as everything working flawlessly, I am not too sure after the issues my iPhone 7 has had. Had it replaced once. Going tomorrow to get an appointment to get this one replaced as well.

I am going to take my $$ elsewhere.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Way too much money for tech that has been mainstream for years on other devices.
Face ID is something new.
As far as everything working flawlessly, I am not too sure after the issues my iPhone 7 has had. Had it replaced once. Going tomorrow to get an appointment to get this one replaced as well.

I am going to take my $$ elsewhere.

I thought some older Samsung's and the Note 7 debuted with Facial Recognition? Either way I would not count facial recognition as new...yet for Apple it is, maybe that is what you mean.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Well, I hope the bezel whiners are happy. To each their own. I'd rather have a 16:9 display with some healthy bezel like the Lumia 1520, instead of this display with round corners that Apple is showing off.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
What's with the thin bezels? People will probably cover up the phone in the biggest thickest ugliest case they can find!! LOL

... !

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't really do anything for me. Like others have said, there really isn't anything new or ground breaking, Apple is just doing things that others have already done, but will probably do them better, or will at least get more recognition for doing them.

I will wait until the spring to see about an updated SE. If that doesn't happen I would consider looking at the X (a used one, not paying $999). As of right now though, thank you Apple for saving me some money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99