Does iPhone X grab you?

rinosaur

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes it grabs me. It's about all the things Apple and iOS devs will do with the AR Kit. Of course it has limited functionality now, but look 4-5 months from now. I switched off my 950 to a 6S/SE and rejoined modern society. WM is in the stone age in comparison. Yes Apple didn't invent this stuff, but as said before, who cares? It all about what they will do with the new technology (unlike MS, which comes out with decent ideas and just lets them rot).

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Not..
A..
Chance...
In...
Hell...

I gave my Lumia 950 to my son because he lost his 635.
I have a 950XL thats got a broken screen sitting in a drawer because I haven't been assed to fix it.

So I got a Galaxy S8+ through work, and I hate it... I hate Android. Its slow, and buggy as S***. Can't wait until a new windows device comes out that can fit in my pocket with telephony.

Jesus, on Android, sometimes I don't even have any apps open but messaging and the typing lags to hell. Having any game open in the background brings the whole system to a crawl.
The settings are a nightmare to navigate.
And their swipe keyboard is honestly the worst thing I've ever seen. I'll swipe "backing" and the result will be "backi g"... WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?! it happens on just about every 'ing' word too.
It often just gives me something that's not a word at all, like 'brimg' instead of 'bring'

Oh, but this is about iPhone X.
Nope. Too expensive for a phone that has features I've been using in my windows phones for 4+ yrs. Too static of a UI. Too Apple-fied... arrogant aholes that they are.

Drama much?

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
iPhone X is like a bad joke. If I would switch from my 950XL to some other phone, I would consider iPhone 7(7+), because there is simply almost as good as iPhone 8 or ugly X, or maybe galaxy S8(S8+), maybe even galaxy S7 edge.

I also think that this face recognition is a very bad idea, because it only works in ideal conditions. But if you have your phone in the car holder or on the office desk, it just doesn't work, because of the limitations of the technology. Tried this on my 950XL and on the galaxy S8+, both act the same.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Face recognition ?? Here's a joke that's kinda funny...

Gentle reminder to all married men!!!!

Never never buy iPhone X... coz your wife will be able to access your phone by just pointing your phone at your face while you are sleeping to unlock it.

However you won't be able to do that to her... coz she would have removed her makeup before she sleep!! 🤣🤣

... !

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the Iphone X grabs me. It a beast of a phone. The processor, the GPU, the Animate Emoji in REAL TIME feature, the dual camera stabilization, light mode when taking snapshots, VR gaming, wireless charging, waterproofing and more. How could you not be impressed with what this phone is bringing to the table? Granted we have only seen press release type stuff but with that A11 processor that can calculate 600 billion calculations in a second. its the hardware for the ages. If you are not impressed, nothing impresses you.

Absolutely bang on! I don't think I'll be getting the iPhone X this time around. Never say never though. I had a quick look on YouTube at a reporter playing with one and I couldn't not be impressed with the AR features using the TrueDepth front sensors. Even Snapchat masks looked amazing. The Animojis etc are just a taster of what that thing can do and developers will be clamouring all over it to get serious app usage out of it too. Of course the phone is over hyped and marketed to hell but you can't deny Apple make top quality products and have the best customer service bar none. A lot of people in here just seem jealous because they claim to be more than satisfied with their 2 yr old Lumia with hardly any apps and no new features for the the past 18 months. People need to stop being so narrow minded and embrace the fact we can choose from 2 the other platforms too and not stubbornly stick to one that doesn't even look after its own users anyway

Shalin Pather01

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
View attachment 137387

So, the worst kept secret is official and Apple just announced the iPhone X (pronounced 10 because of course.) Sure, that display is incredibly impressive, but is the rest of the phone really that revolutionary?

Face ID looks a lot like Windows Hello doesn't it? How about that wireless charging your old Lumia 920 didn't have?!

Jesting aside there are some impressive looking features on it, but is it really the benchmark for the next 10 years as Apple claims?

And would you move to one from your Windows phone if you're still using one? Is it the one you've been waiting for?!

No.iPhone X is just another s*itty gimmick from Crapple that just gets hailed as innovation. Nothing is innovation, just copied other companies innovations. If you leave Windows Phones for that s*it you're just another *****. You will take Windows 10 Mobile out of my cold, dead hands.

Nayden

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
Grab me for what? 3GB RAM, face recognition, no physical button at the front, storage, wireless charging, and last but not least the OS, oh forgot the main camera, and all features mentioned above for only $999. No, thanks.

madchadmi

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
my answer is no, because I already ditches it for the Samsung S7 edge. Apps was the only reason. I love Windows phone but oh sweet Jesus when will they get hue light apps, wemo switch apps, Sirius XM apps, life 360, Scottrade apps, etc. as long as apps are not made for Windows phone and former mainstream app makers drop their Windows phone apps, people have no choice. also my igrill app and my masteebuilt smoker app. I still use my Lumia 950xl as a browser... it is such a beautiful device.. too bad the apps aren't there.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Gentle reminder to all married men!!!! [...] your wife will be able to access your phone by just pointing your phone at your face while you are sleeping to unlock it.
If you find yourself waking up to your wife carefully trying push back your eyelids in order to unlock your phone, it's time for counseling..

Jan Lehotsky

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
I like the fact that they just didn't go for an edge to edge screen in name only but ditched virtual buttons as well and added new gestures to control the phone. Surprised no one has mentioned how similar is it to Nokia's cancelled Meego. And I bet you this will be the next hot new thing android OEM's copy for their models next year. Not to mention the cool things they are doing with the camera, its a far cry from anything Microsoft is likely to come up with anytime soon.

Its irrelevant that they are late with some features, more important is that those features will work practically flawlessly. Compared to the so called software giant Microsoft who just managed to add a GATT server to their phones but still cant get Bluetooth in general to work without failing mid song. So I personally think its an expensive but good step forward, and after all aren't people always complaining that smartphones have stagnated? Plus they chose Qi wireless so that ensures more places to charge my phones which is a win for me so yay!

Exactly, I had 3 different Nokia N9s back in the day, with all the swipe features, the phone and UI was just amazing...as an iPhone user ever since I sold my last N9, I´m happy to see the move towards swiping on the new iPhone X...I have an iPhone 7 at the moment and I won´t get my hands on the X until next July maybe, when my current plan ends. But still, device looks nice

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
First of all, let me start by saying that until probably the last 6 months my Lumia 735 was my all-time favorite phone. Slowly though, it's just gotten slower and slower. Yes, I know, it's a lowly Snapdragon 400 chip. Which leaves me with...what now? I'd have thought by now MSFT would have had something out. But no. So, that leaves Android or iOS. I've had Android (Nexus 7 tablet..good but growing old, HTC Thunderbolt...bad, Motorola Droid Razr...at the end..couldn't answer phone calls..too slow to bring screen up). I suffered on until I got the 735.

In general, when there were apps for the 735 that I'd use before they got yanked, I liked the presentation much better than Android. Very polished looking - before hamburgers took over. So just for the record, I really liked my phone and it went with me to the last ever Rush concert....so just for that, I hold it dear.

So, at this point, I'm willing to try iOS. Begrudgingly so mind you. Would I buy the iPhone X to try this experiment? Probably not immediately. I will try either a 6s or an SE to see if I can deal with it. Windows at least works like Apple in that they push the updates versus every manufacturer and provider - a big bonus.

As for technology...heck, was the "OG" iPhone using all new technology? Of course not. There were a few things new, but Windows had been on phones, Symbian was out, and all the other necessary ingredients to make a smart phone.
IIRC Nokia had prototype smart phones and their management said that people wanted smaller phones, not bigger and killed it. So, in the end Apple just combined the ingredients and some innovation and made a great phone. What's wrong with that? Why is today any different than 10 years ago? They are building a system not just a transmitter/receiver.

Simply put, I don't personally know anybody that has an iPhone that would leave or even consider a Windows phone or Android. For the most part I'd say 75% of my friends and colleagues are either engineers, electrical techs, or programmers. That says something that they're all happy. The common theme is "it just works." There is loyalty there....perhaps because Apple hasn't left people stranded by the promise of what's next and then not delivering. How many times has MSFT done that in the last 3 years? Nobody, unless one is just a fan, is going to put up with that road-map. Thus there are limited users and thus limited app development and visa versa.

So in a nutshell, I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape with iPhone X and Apple in general. Is it because they are delivering a product and Microsoft is not? I'd love to be proven wrong. I'd love MSFT to bring out the "Surface phone" or something. But I've been waiting...and waiting..and waiting. I've got to move on....

I'll don my flameproof Nomex now.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Bit disappointed they chickened out on the base model price, so many people will be very upset at not paying $1000 or £1000 for their new phone, but I suppose when you add in the Bluetooth headphones you can pretend it cost a lot more................

eugarps

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
No, I won't be buying an iPhone X. I've had the same features available in Android and WindowsPhones for years. I'm currently in the Apple ecosystem and, after WWDC and this iPhone event, I'm strongly considering breaking from Apple. I posed a question to Apple on the phone as to whether I could buy an LTE capable iPad and pair it with an LTE Apple Watch? The answer was no. I have to have an iPhone SE or later to transfer a SIM image to the Apple Watch. iOS 11-12 whatever has and Apple Watch function on the iPhone but not on the iPad. Why not, other than Apple needs the annual influx of iPhone cash to push them closer to been a trillion dollar company.

i already have an iPhone SE, so I could do the Apple Watch LTE. I also have a last gen iPad Pro 9.7. I'd just like to drop the phone and have a watch and a tablet but I'm a black swan in that regard. Folks love their phones. I cannot use a phone well, because of a tremor I've had since I was 10. I liked smartphones with keys. I'm typing this on my iPad, because the larger virtual keyboard works better for me.

Thus, Apple will not only be selling Apple Watch LTEs but will be requiring those with older iPhones to upgrade. Is it planned obsolescence, marketing genius, or corporate greed? I had a better camera and wireless charging on my Lumia 1020! in my case, Apple lost the sale of an Apple Watch LTE and an iPad Pro 10.5 LTE.

Again, NO, I won't be feeding Apple this year and if Panos Panay actually produces a Surface Phone, I won't be bobbing for Apples this fall.

Last edited:

RandyMa

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 137387

So, the worst kept secret is official and Apple just announced the iPhone X (pronounced 10 because of course.) Sure, that display is incredibly impressive, but is the rest of the phone really that revolutionary?

Face ID looks a lot like Windows Hello doesn't it? How about that wireless charging your old Lumia 920 didn't have?!

Jesting aside there are some impressive looking features on it, but is it really the benchmark for the next 10 years as Apple claims?

And would you move to one from your Windows phone if you're still using one? Is it the one you've been waiting for?!

"Incredible piece of engineering?" Seriously Richard? Maybe incredible fragile piece of engineering. It's a portable consumer, handheld device that cannot survive being dropped without a high probability of costly damage. Look around you - how many iPhone owners Have their device wrapped in a no-so sexy market case and/or sport a cracked display within 1st year of use? What university did their mechanical engineers graduate from??? But pleas, plug away, and upgrade! I own lots of stock. And Budweiser is the king of beers.

LincolnAllenKEYone

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
I'm a android BlackBerry user and I can tell you there is nothing that phones offers that has not already been done by Samsung LG Motorola BlackBerry HTC HP Nokia and Microsoft and Google

Richard Durishin

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I parked my 950 for a V20 last winter. I'll keep it parked - though fully up to date on the Fast Ring - for a V30 next month...and am looking forward to the role that Progressive Web Apps may play in the ecosystem of the (still?) coming Surface Phone.

Pradip Shah

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
View attachment 137387

Why would I spend ANY money whatsoever on a lame phone / OS ? On the one hand everyone is trying / using / switching to or what have you from desktop / laptop to mobile phone. If the stupid thing can't see / access media files right on the device /NAS or won't let me access / see my email attachments - like air tickets / boarding pass unless I am connected to the net is plain dumb. Why should that document traverse internet 3 times before it can be accessed? There is a limit to what even an ***** will shell out for bragging rights.

Honestly I would have loved to see Microsoft going further with the original Compaq phone built over Windows CE 3 in the late 90s with of course modern hardware and capability. It could have slaughtered all the competition.

Last edited:

John Stoyle

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Nope I had an iPhone 3 and it was the biggest piece of **** if other options had not been available I would have given up on smart phones then. I had 3 apple TV's first one died 1 week after hooking it up next one died about 4 months of use, then the last one died 3 weeks before the warrantee ran out. I work with their customer support for three weeks then the smart assed agent said oops at appears that the warrantee has ran out I can't help you with this but I can offer you a 15% discount on a new one. I will NEVER have another apple product. All apple products are way over priced and much less power than android. I do not have a Windows phone but would like one but it is seeming that I have waited too late.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786