Does iPhone X grab you?

njoi fontes

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Not a chance. My lumia 950 Xl mic stopped working a couple of months ago and finally I caved in and got a note 8, still very expensive but far more usefull than the iPhone x (and far better looking as well)

kevin sinsimer

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
So, the worst kept secret is official and Apple just announced the iPhone X (pronounced 10 because of course.) Sure, that display is incredibly impressive, but is the rest of the phone really that revolutionary?

Face ID looks a lot like Windows Hello doesn't it? How about that wireless charging your old Lumia 920 didn't have?!

Jesting aside there are some impressive looking features on it, but is it really the benchmark for the next 10 years as Apple claims?

And would you move to one from your Windows phone if you're still using one? Is it the one you've been waiting for?!

I'd like to start by saying I switched from my Lumia Icon to iPhone 6S Plus in 2016.

The OLED display is interesting, but that notch at the top throws me for a loop. I don't think I'd ever enjoy getting used to it.

Face ID is also not my favorite; I like Windows Hello because it just logs you in, whereas Face ID unlocks the phone and I still need to perform gestures to get in. Right now, I just rest my finger on my iPhone's home button, raise-to-wake, and it immediately logs in.

To me, the winning point of this phone would be the changes to the camera hardware/software integration. They look impressive and would be fun to use. But as I've learned with my iPhone now, I get bored. I do enjoy having my apps, but the OS is not creative or beautiful to me.

$1,000+ for the iPhone X is not something I spend to "settle for less." My iPhone 6s Plus is still doing its job, between the good camera and the speed and app availability.

My question is: Is anyone impressed with the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2? Its specs are less than the iPhone X, but it looks gorgeous to me, and I'd love to try a Windows 10 Launcher on it to make it feel like my old phone by using Launcher 8 WP Style.

Edit: Also, I'd be able to make Cortana my main assistant, no? I miss using Cortana.

Last edited:

korben44

May 15, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 137387

So, the worst kept secret is official and Apple just announced the iPhone X (pronounced 10 because of course.) Sure, that display is incredibly impressive, but is the rest of the phone really that revolutionary?

Face ID looks a lot like Windows Hello doesn't it? How about that wireless charging your old Lumia 920 didn't have?!

Jesting aside there are some impressive looking features on it, but is it really the benchmark for the next 10 years as Apple claims?

And would you move to one from your Windows phone if you're still using one? Is it the one you've been waiting for?!

Definitely no... My HP Elite X3 does everything the IPhone X does with the added benefit of being dual sim or microSD capable. Sure, not all the apps are available, but I don't use Snapchat and then all the rest of what I need, banking ebay PayPal, are available via web pages. Most apps these days are glorified web page imports... And games? No time for them. Besides, Candy Crush is fine.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

eugarps

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Last edited:

eugarps

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
RumoredNow,

I travel a good bit and would switch between my iPhone and as my daily driver. In truth, I’m hoping one "Surface Phone" rendering I’ve seem with a 1020 like camera bump come to pass. I’m shopping for a good, used Surface Pro 4 to replace my iPad and MacBook for Travel as well.

Given I’d be using it for phone and data, would I still be better off with WindowsPhone 8 or 8.1 vs. 10?

I already know the wonders of the 1020's camera.

Thanks,

bill

Last edited:

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 137387

Surprisingly no, it doesn't.

Apple usually isn't the first (or second or third) to add the latest and greatest features but they make them run and look great when they finally decide to use them. The iPhone X has no real appeal to me, even at a premium price tag of $999, lol.

When the time comes, I'll give the iPhone 8 Plus a try (As I normally do with newer devices, whether Android or IOS) but I'm completely fine with the phone(s) I have now.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
RumoredNow,

I travel a good bit and would switch between my iPhone and as my daily driver. In truth, I’m hoping one "Surface Phone" rendering I’ve seem with a 1020 like camera bump come to pass. I’m shopping for a good, used Surface Pro 4 to replace my iPad and MacBook for Travel as well.

Given I’d be using it for phone and data, would I still be better off with WindowsPhone 8 or 8.1 vs. 10?

I already know the wonders of the 1020's camera.

Thanks,

bill

IF the 1020 will have to double as phone while traveling I'm not sure I'd do it. The Windows 10 experience on the older SoC might not make the experience as trouble free as you might want away from home and the support for 8.1 is now fading fast.

You should probably start a new thread in the 1020 forum and seek a wider audience for advice on this... My gut feeling is that a better device would be a Lumia 950 or 950 XL to work smoothly as a phone and still take great pics "out of pocket" or even a 1520 if you want to go "vintage."

eugarps

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
RumoredNow,

I'd gladly buy a 950 but Microsoft has dropped it from their website. Either that means the Surface Phone could be real or Microsoft is completely dropping hand held devices. Sad indeed.

Best,

Bill

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I would never give into the new iPhone x. I'm still holding on to my L950. If I had to drop the platform, I would lean towards android and pick up a Nokia 8.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
webOS had wireless charging long before Lumias. They were the first with Touchstone.

The Palm Pree had an accessory case and kit that you had to buy to add in wireless charging.
The Nokia 920 and 820 were the first phones to bring wireless charging built into the phone.

eugarps

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
I don't think Windows phone users should buy iPhones; they should get Androids.

I agree. I have an iPhone SE and really would like a better camera without buying a bigger phone. The Sony Xperia ZX-1 Compact looks like it may fit my needs pretty well. I carry a travel camera but found I can upgrade my phone AND my camera for about the same price as buying an iPhone X. Thus, more flexibility for the same price.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The Palm Pree had an accessory case and kit that you had to buy to add in wireless charging.
The Nokia 920 and 820 were the first phones to bring wireless charging built into the phone.

Says who? The mag coil was built into the battery cover. There were Pre+ models from AT&T that didn't come with them but you could buy the cover from Palm. There were no such things as "accessory cases" to add wireless charging. The only thing you had to buy was the Touchstone puck.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm too entrenched in the MS ecosystem now. The price is also too high for what can be considered as outdated tech being touted as the next big thing (e.g. Qi wireless charging). But Apple fans and the masses will no doubt lap it up. I'm just hoping we don't enter an era of $1000+ smartphones, regardless of the manufacturer and OS. Remember that MS once said that if they do release a mobile device now, it too will be at a premium price.

In terms of Apple itself, i am not a fan of having tons and tons of icons on the home screen and subsequent pages of icons. I also do not like the messy notifications either. It has superb app support though, so you'll be sure to get all your favourite apps, so there's that. But I am not sure the price of the iPhone X is really justified. The masses won't care and will still pay and that'll suit Apple just fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro