Does iPhone X grab you?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Says who? The mag coil was built into the battery cover. There were Pre+ models from AT&T that didn't come with them but you could buy the cover from Palm. There were no such things as "accessory cases" to add wireless charging. The only thing you had to buy was the Touchstone puck.

To get it with wireless charging you had to get the Touchstone kit that brought a different cover and the charger. Only the "Palm Plus" came with the wireless charging back cover included. The Palm Pre did NOT come with wireless charging. You had to get the cover with it separately. Just like you had to get the wireless charging cover for the Nokia 925 and 1020.

Also, let us not forget that the Palm Pre also had a very limited release worldwide with the Palm Plus never even leaving the USA at all.
The Nokia 920 on the other hand brought wireless charging for everyone around the world, regardless of country. And the 820 brought it out of the box as well, not requiring you to purchase the cover with it separately.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
To get it with wireless charging you had to get the Touchstone kit that brought a different cover and the charger. Only the "Palm Plus" came with the wireless charging back cover included. The Palm Pre did NOT come with wireless charging. You had to get the cover with it separately. Just like you had to get the wireless charging cover for the Nokia 925 and 1020.

Also, let us not forget that the Palm Pre also had a very limited release worldwide with the Palm Plus never even leaving the USA at all.
The Nokia 920 on the other hand brought wireless charging for everyone around the world, regardless of country. And the 820 brought it out of the box as well, not requiring you to purchase the cover with it separately.

Only the charging puck came separately. I don't know where you're getting your information but mine comes from first-hand experience. I've had every single webOS device ever sold and currently own a Touchpad and a couple of Pre models and they ALL came with Touchstone charging built in. The Touchpad doesn't even have a removable cover to begin with. As I said, only the AT&T Pre + and the early production models of the Sprint Pre required the separate covers. The same applied to the Pixi (AT&T - No) and Pixi + (Verizon & N/A unlocked - yes)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah @DJCBS I have to agree with @fatclue_98

Like most wireless charging AT&T screws the pooch (or consumer) and makes it difficult. Palm was where Big Blue started the schroogie by stopping the free inclusion.

Most Palm users enjoyed buying the puck only and charging wirelessly. In fact, I still have yet to use a wireless charging station better than the magnetically secured puck that webOS had.

Good Times.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Only the charging puck came separately. I don't know where you're getting your information but mine comes from first-hand experience.

So does mine.
See, the problem here is that you're doing what Americans normally do: you pick your reality and you think it applies to the rest of the World. And what I've been trying to tell you is that NO, it doesn't.

In Europe we didn't get it with the wireless charging included. We had to buy the kit which brought the cover and the puck (in the very few countries where the Palm Pre was released at all).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So does mine.
See, the problem here is that you're doing what Americans normally do: you pick your reality and you think it applies to the rest of the World. And what I've been trying to tell you is that NO, it doesn't.

In Europe we didn't get it with the wireless charging included. We had to buy the kit which brought the cover and the puck (in the very few countries where the Palm Pre was released at all).

Hello Mr. Pot, I'm Mr. Kettle. You could've specified which country variant you used the same way I did.

AT&T Pre + and the early production models of the Sprint Pre required the separate covers. The same applied to the Pixi (AT&T - No) and Pixi + (Verizon & N/A unlocked - yes)

eugarps

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
not at all. i wish some day more phone like the lumia 1020 and panasonic lumix wille be released again.

I'm with you Vishnu. If the Nokia 1020 was a practical alternative, I would buy one today! The Xperia XZ-1 Compact has a 19mp camera and a dedicated shutter button. It's as close as I can get to a 1020 in an LTE phone.

Best,

Bill

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you Vishnu. If the Nokia 1020 was a practical alternative, I would buy one today! The Xperia XZ-1 Compact has a 19mp camera and a dedicated shutter button. It's as close as I can get to a 1020 in an LTE phone.

Best,

Bill
Make sure to read @libra89's review of the XZ1 Compact on sister site Android Central.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Having fiddles around with demo iPhone 8's, honestly they feel and look like a good device, and apart from the screen, really aren't missing anything either.

Considering the price premium on the X, I just can't see why. If I were to blast my wallet open and shell out for an iPhone, I'd just go for the 8, rather than the X. We'll wait and see what it's like when it launches. Reports on the 8 were that queues were largely non existent, I guess announcing a newer model merely minutes later, kind of ruined the launch of the 8, but still, wait and see what sort of response the X gets.

Also I refuse to call it the iphone 'ten'.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Having fiddles around with demo iPhone 8's, honestly they feel and look like a good device, and apart from the screen, really aren't missing anything either.

Considering the price premium on the X, I just can't see why. If I were to blast my wallet open and shell out for an iPhone, I'd just go for the 8, rather than the X. We'll wait and see what it's like when it launches. Reports on the 8 were that queues were largely non existent, I guess announcing a newer model merely minutes later, kind of ruined the launch of the 8, but still, wait and see what sort of response the X gets.

Also I refuse to call it the iphone 'ten'.
I agree. Malcolm "Ten" just doesn't do it for me either.

eugarps

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
It seems the 'X' is going to be in quite short supply. Foxconn just shipped the first batch of 50,000 today. 50k of a phone that could sell 10 times that in a day or more! I think Apple was surprised by the Pixel 2 and the Note 8 and rushed the X into production. The production of Apple's intricate tech requires tooling and time. One wonders if all of that was in place, before Apple announced the 'X'. Just thinking out loud.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Right? 'cause iPhone X sounds a lot cooler. I thought the iFolks were all hipsters.

Missed opportunity there for sure.
It's a shame we have to resort to name calling like "iFolks" because I do like Apple products. I try not to get into sophomoric pettiness but those iMbeciles grate my cheese sometimes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786