What if the camera is not great? #surfacephone

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Even if the Surface Phone would be an enterprise focused device it will still have an above than average camera. Let's not forget that once upon the time Nokia and Microsoft were leaders in smartphone camera.
If it will be a consumer focused device, being marketed as the ultimate mobile computing device, I think it will have to have the best possible camera.
For me the mobile photography means a lot. I wouldn't invest in an expensive new smartphone/pocketable PC/mobile computing device if it wouldn't have a very good camera and a very good app for taking photos.

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The "best" Windows phone, according to a WC article, is the Elite x3 and its camera is mediocre at best. Does that answer your question?

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

I bought an 950 off eBay because of the mediocre optics on my elite x3 (which the Microsoft Store replaced my 950 XL with)

Camera optics being important is putting it midly and one of my biggest concern. I feel that Microsoft with such a device will play to its strengths which is the enterprise. And the HP Elite x3 is exactly great at what its for...an enterprise device.

salazka

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Just for fun and giggles let's pretend it does exist :evil:

If the camera is not great I am not buying one.
It has to be at least as good as Lumia 925.

(Surface Phone doesn't exist. It was just a red herring to make people think there is a secret mobile somewhere, instead of the humongous failure to defend Microsoft's WP unique identity.)

ZSkeledzic

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
When Microsoft or one of their numerous OEM partners issue true flagship Windows 10 phone device, it must have ALL hardware specs maxed, not only camera! Anything lesser would bring on the market just another half baked product, such as Lumia 950 or HP's and Alcatel's recent efforts... Dell should finally save the day with ultimate XPS Phone for consumer, and Latitude Phone for enterprise customers! :)

stnm

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
That is one of the reasons i think a phone/tablet hybrid is so difficult to build.
A very good camera is an essential feature for me, as it is/will be the only one i own.

eb110americana

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
This is literally the only reason I stuck with Windows phones for so long. If a new Surface Phone does not have a camera equal or better than my 950XL (20 megapixel), I am going Android.

mikerd0806

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Camera crucial. Extension of my mind and senses. If I need to remember, snap it:- notices, opening times, meter readings, tradesman details from side of van, that wonderful cream with a strange name. Etc etc. If I need to read it, snap it:- info from papers, magazines, adverts, that funny line in an article, that recipe, that recipe again for when i go shopping. And of course those photos that remind me of great experiences.
A good camera that provides great photos for all occasions is essential.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
It really comes down to this simple formula. While no doubt that MS want to position any Surface "phone" as an enterprise device, the marketplace has shown that consumer focused devices that have enterprise capabilities will win out over enterprise focused devices that can function as consumer devices as well (see Palm/BB failures and Apple/Samsung successes). Camera won't make or break a Surface "phone" from being widely adopted. It is still the App Gap that holds MS back. I can't say it enough times, they should have taken all the money they used to buy Nokie and instead spent it by giving app development grants to get the gap closed. Hell, I still think they should do this if they want to be successful. As it exists now a Surface phone with a great camera will be no different than any of the other Lumia devices which had great cameras: not widely adopted. If the camera is only mediocre then chances that even the enthusiasts won't even want to adopt it. Since camera tech is one of the main drivers of smart phone cost, if I were making a Surface "phone" I would do similar to Apple and have 3 tiers, but slightly different: no camera, acceptable camera, premium camera. All in the same housing. This way there will be a Surface "phone" for every one and every scenario. But all this will do no good if the App Gap persists :'(

shmaun

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Camera is super important for me. I have a DSLR but rarely carry it with me. I prefer to take my phone and use the manual settings on that if I need to. Therefore I won't buy a phone without an excellent camera.

Sebastien Soulier

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
Coming from Lumia 1520 to the Elite X3 I can tell you that this step down in term of camera quality does matter.
This is a mobile office, I need to scan documents, to send precise pictures of disorders I find on job work. So macro and focus have to be excellent, low light too. Optical stabilisation and a optical X2 zoom are a must. So yes definitly it should be about the same quality as top camera phones.

Oguz Kartal

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Simply, I would not want to buy it. Photography capabilities is extremely important for me. Lumia series windows phones had great camera and photography capabilities. That's why I still use Lumia series phones.

All of the giant smartphone manufacturers are compete with each other to give best photography features to the end users in these days. Because they know that the people wants to capture great photo and video with their smartphones. That's essential. If Microsoft gonna put an average camera into next mobile device, that makes me a facepalm man.

As far I know, After the Nokia's falling down, their optical engineers passed to the Apple. But Microsoft still hold the Pureview technology in their hands. But somethings changed in the future of the camera and imaging technology after the introduction of the iPhone X.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa