What if the camera is not great? #surfacephone

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Would you still buy it?

Probably the biggest reason I kept using a Lumia was for its camera chops.

If the Surface phone doesn't have a great camera, it would give me serious pause about getting it.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree as well. Even if they are focusing on enterprise, if you expect someone to replace their phone with your device, you should provide at least a camera that is equal to what you have on iPhone or Pixel.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I would be surprised (even though we are talking about MS) if MS made a device with lesser a camera then what they had in their Lumias.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Correction: Lumias not Luminas :winktongue:

Last edited by a moderator:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
The first function of a mobile device is its communication duties (call out, receive calls, texting, and emails), its second duty is the camera function (IMO); and MS should be focusing on introducing a "far" superior camera/recorder... and NOTHING less than!!!! to put on their top-of-the-line unit.

The camera over apps, for me.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Would you still buy it?

If the Surface phone doesn't have a great camera, it would give me serious pause about getting it.

I loved the lumia devices because of the camera - I had the Lumia 1020

Now I have the lumia 540 and it's an average camera at best.

So if the next mobile offering from Microsoft doesn't have an excellent camera but is outrageously priced, I won't really be interested

The price has to reflect the internals - if the internals including the camera are of mediocre quality, then the price has to match too

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Would you still buy it?

Many WP users were fans of Nokia camera Tech, I believe MS already let go of all that expertise, however it would be pity even the so called surface phone if ever there was one doesn't even match 950's camera, however I'm leaned towards MS releasing this device with an average camera.
And surely would drive away some users just due to this fact. I'm not convinced that all the ultramobile PC baloney will help such a device.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Many WP users were fans of Nokia camera Tech, I believe MS already let go of all that expertise, however it would be pity even the so called surface phone if ever there was one doesn't even match 950's camera, however I'm leaned towards MS releasing this device with an average camera.
And surely would drive away some users just due to this fact. I'm not convinced that all the ultramobile PC baloney will help such a device.
The "best" Windows phone, according to a WC article, is the Elite x3 and its camera is mediocre at best. Does that answer your question?

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
The "best" Windows phone, according to a WC article, is the Elite x3 and its camera is mediocre at best. Does that answer your question?

Yeah, BUT...

Most X3 users are ex-950/950XL users; and of those, 'most', if not all, have kept their 950/950XL for its camera. So yes, their are those whom will buy the biggest and best, but I have recently had the opportunity to trade my 2-yr old 950XL for a 'new' X3, an ddeclined the offer - only because I wouldn't of had the camera capabilities. Sure, I would have had more power; but, I would not have noticed the 'power', as much as I would have "missed" the camera:)

That's just me.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, BUT...

Most X3 users are ex-950/950XL users; and of those, 'most', if not all, have kept their 950/950XL for its camera. So yes, their are those whom will buy the biggest and best, but I have recently had the opportunity to trade my 2-yr old 950XL for a 'new' X3, an ddeclined the offer - only because I wouldn't of had the camera capabilities. Sure, I would have had more power; but, I would not have noticed the 'power', as much as I would have "missed" the camera:)

That's just me.
That makes two of us. That's why I'm having such a hard time deciding which phone to keep as my daily driver. This x3 has some serious things going for it but my Primo has a noticeably better camera and the display has a LOT better visibility in the sunlight. It's been a tough couple of weeks because while the Primo has very good battery life, the x3 is insane. Easily the best battery of any phone I've ever had including the S8+.

Look at the signatures on my posts and you'll see the incessant flip flopping between rigs. I "think" it's a good problem to have. Kind of like deciding who to start at QB, Marino or Manning. I'm a Dolphins fan, do NOT mention the guy in Boston. 😝

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I still think for any mobile device that replaces your phone, it needs to have a pretty good camera to succeed. Don't you guys think?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo