10-05-2017 07:12 PM
162 1234 ...
tools
    The Lumia name is done for, unfortunately. It really should be called a Surface. At my husband's job (Microsoft retail), he regularly has customers that ask when MS will come out with a Surface Phone.
    It's good customers is waiting for new window phone from Microsoft

Sent from (iOK)
    09-23-2017 01:18 PM
    I'll take the Surface, simply because the phone-route is dead for MS. What I want now is a Windows-powered micro pc which can also make calls. With web apps taking over in a few years, I'd be very pleased with a pocketable Surface device running full Windows 10, which can transform into a fully usable tablet, and can hook up to an external display for a full PC experience being announced next summer and available mid autumn... As long as they don't mix the camera! At least on par with the 950, but faster...!
    Kryvdynn21 likes this.
    09-23-2017 01:19 PM
    I'll take the Surface, simply because the phone-route is dead for MS. What I want now is a Windows-powered micro pc which can also make calls. With web apps taking over in a few years, I'd be very pleased with a pocketable Surface device running full Windows 10, which can transform into a fully usable tablet, and can hook up to an external display for a full PC experience being announced next summer and available mid autumn... As long as they don't mix the camera! At least on par with the 950, but faster...!
    This is more or less what I want at this point too. Give me a device that is foldable, can be used for calls, has stylus support, and Windows and I'm good to go.
    11949531, aximtreo and rogerhew like this.
    09-23-2017 01:24 PM
    When Microsoft brings another mobile phone/device/ultra mobile device to the table, I won't care what name it has. As long as it is able to get sms/mms phone calls and email via cellular and fits in my pocket, I will check it out either way.
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    09-23-2017 01:30 PM
    I feel that the Lumia brand has been tarnished to the point where the Surface brand would do better. This is IF AND ONLY IF, they actually create a truly innovative device, change their app development focus to Windows First, iOS & Android after, and actually market the device like it's their last hurrah for being in business. Lumia is associated with failure with two companies. However, Surface is known as the innovative brand that brings new ideas to the table that changes the tech landscape. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what name they choose. If they cannot do what I mentioned, then it doesn't matter. Lumia suffered from lack of hardware, lack of marketing, and lack of first party support. It's Microsoft's fault we got here and the Lumia name got destroyed. From Windows Phone 8.1 - 10, they consistently developed their software and launched first on iOS and Android. I don't care if they did launch a new phone with the Surface name. If that trend continues, it will fail and damage the Surface brand, affecting the entire lineup with negative perception.
    09-23-2017 01:33 PM
    I think it should be called the "Microsoft We Really Mean It This Time". For short, Microsoft WRMITT-1 for the first generation.
    09-23-2017 01:35 PM
    I want more choice in WP, my current device is an Idol 4S and it is gorgeous. Forget the hardware for a moment but I never found Lumias to be anything more than utilitarian. It never blew you away. The most compliments I had was when I put a brown mozo leather case on my 950. We're never going to convert people to Windows unless the form factor is cool and it really looks like a premium device. At this point with great web browsing on mobile, apps are not always the things you have to have. Just my 2 cents worth.
    fdruid likes this.
    09-23-2017 01:49 PM
    Who learned you how to spoke?
    09-23-2017 02:05 PM
    Doesn't matter what it is called as it will be a business rather than consumer focussed device range. Just give it a name/ecosystem that attracts app developers to the best mobile OS available.

Sent from my Dual SIM, Hello enabled, 256gb card equipped, 3.5mm headphone jack compatible, wireless charging 950XL.

It ain't about the hardware......
    fdruid likes this.
    09-23-2017 02:09 PM
    Brand Lumia or Surface is not going to be the reason why new line of Windows phone devices will succeed or fail. Any of those two would do just fine, if Microsoft only demonstrates that they know what they are doing and be consistent in their support and development. It's just sad to see inferior android OS based devices all over the market, with hardly any alternative offering from Microsoft. I still use Lumia 950 and will use it for as long it's supported. Hopefully Microsoft or their OEM partners will release new generation of Windows phone devices, because I don't want to spend 1000 USD on iPhone X, which is only iPhone covering most of my Lumia 950's features. Android is not an option! ...Galaxy S8 with Windows 10 would probably be nice. :-)
    09-23-2017 02:19 PM
    If it is just going to be another standard Windows Mobile 10 smartphone, then I'd stick w/ the Lumia brand. Otherwise, if it is going to redefine the industry, as the 2 in 1 Surface did, then move to the Surface brand. Simple as that. Don't taint the Surface brand w/ anything only intended to serve as a bridge b/w Windows Mobile 10 phones, as they are now known, and the vision that seems to be gelling up for an ultimate 3 in 1 Surface phone.
    fdruid likes this.
    09-23-2017 02:33 PM
    None. MS needs to get out of the mobile business. Fool us once...
    Skamath, xandros9 and 3la2ooH like this.
    09-23-2017 02:35 PM
    I am going to say Surface Mobile just because it's not a phone. The Lumia brand represents a whole different range of devices with different architecture. The Surface Mobile though is going to have Windows on ARM. WoARM is not something that will be usable on your average SoC. It will most likely require a high-end SoC to work properly and even if it doesn't need the power of an expensive SoC, Microsoft will probably never build WoARM for a mid-range SoC (as you may know, every single device configuration requires its own separate build of the OS).

So this may be a perfect proof why a single branding name is really important for a product.

BTW, when Microsoft make the Surface Mobile (if that ever happens), nothing stops them from making mid-range Lumia phones with Windows 10 Mobile. It's all up to them.
    09-23-2017 02:40 PM
    MS must have some type of mobile device to stay relevant going forward. However, they cannot afford to enter the smartphone race. That race was lost sadly. I am hoping for the next device and just as Jason outlined, I hope it is a foldable phablet/tablet/dock friendly PC running WoA. Not Lumia, maybe not even Surface. New category of device deserves a new name.
    09-23-2017 02:46 PM
    100% agree, Jason. Surface name all the way. Personally I like Daniel's theory of the Surface Pocket name.
    Jason Ward likes this.
    09-23-2017 03:05 PM
    Windows Phone Home: The Sequel
    09-23-2017 03:07 PM
    I will go for Lumia because Lumia is popular than surface in most of countries as a smartphone brand .
    what you windows phone fans wants Microsoft to name new window phone if they have a plan to release new windows phone
    Couldn't care less. I am never going back to Windows phone. Even if it is given for free. Don't like the way the they ditch plans on the fly.
    theefman likes this.
    09-23-2017 03:27 PM
    Who learned you how to spoke?
    Please be mindful that English isn’t everyone’s first language.
    Jason Ward and fdruid like this.
    09-23-2017 03:40 PM
    I will go for Lumia because Lumia is popular than surface in most of countries as a smartphone brand .
    what you windows phone fans wants Microsoft to name new window phone if they have a plan to release new windows phone
    According to me I would say that Microsoft should keep releasing atleast one phone model atleast one phone every 6 months so that it's fans don't have to switch platform. Microsoft should understand that to grow in a market it should stand in the market or else it will be just a spectator. The surface phone was a craze and now it is not that a surface phone will bring Microsoft back into the race at once. Win customers trust and development in the platform by showing intrest in it will help.
    09-23-2017 03:56 PM
    As it won't be a phone it shouldn't be called Lumia...
    09-23-2017 03:58 PM
    I think it should be called the "Microsoft We Really Mean It This Time". For short, Microsoft WRMITT-1 for the first generation.
    aximtreo and xandros9 like this.
    09-23-2017 04:07 PM
    If it will be a classical smartphone with just a few more capabilities, there is no reason to change the Lumia brand to me. They might choose a more creative name instead of those boring codes. I mean both android phones and iphones ARE classical smartphones despite what they say about new screens, 3d touch and so on. If it will be a truly revolutionary mobile device, I think It should have a totally new brand, obviously Microsoft [...]. On the contrary, if it will include several features already present in the Surface line, then go ahead with that brand, very attractive to some bloggers. It depends a lot on what the device will be and appear.
    09-23-2017 04:45 PM
    release one last generation of Lumia as a low-end device and make Surface as the high end, just like iphone X.. put out Surface X.
    fdruid likes this.
    09-23-2017 05:23 PM
    For me, it doesn't matter what they name it. They have lost my trust and the only way to even begin regaining it is to nail the next iteration of their mobile endeavors. The name is the last thing that matters to me.
    theefman likes this.
    09-23-2017 05:28 PM
    Lumia under Nokia was known for its very high quality. I own the Lumia 900, 920, and 640. Nokia has been revving up to re-enter the phone business with phones running android, so it would be in Microsoft's best interest to start over with a new branding, and as many have mentioned, the Surface brand has represented high end hardware. Microsoft should have left the Nokia team in place in Finland, after the acquisition, There were some pretty nice phones coming down the pipeline.
    09-23-2017 06:08 PM
162 1234 ...