Which is better name if Microsoft have plan to release new window phone (surface or Lumia )

Vivio vrvly

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
aaaah. Lumia is known.....as being dead.... what sells now is new Nokia2/3/4/5/6/7/8/?.
Its exactly what we dont want. Prehistoric phone, not that its totally useless, its just not the face microsoft want to have.
I'm sure many want new device, not a phone, something better. Era of the phones nears end, first to change gears wins. AR glasses are future, not sure about few next devices, but staying with the same style, copy tech, most liked features, wont bring anything enough exciting to make people interested and to bring down apple/samsung/chinese wave of phones.

SA31

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
I bought a 950xl a little over a year ago. I knew the eco-system was not thriving but I had hope. I have a work iPhone and a personal android that I use, but I keep coming back to the 950xl. I personally like the lumia name, but then again, I haven't been burnt by it - I don't have the long history as many others here have. I don't own a surface product so I'm not attached to that name either. So, for me I say Lumia. Just drop the numbering system or at least streamline it a bit.

Last edited:

derylmccarty

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
As a nutzoid for both Surface and Lumia brands, I tend tothink Lumia is limited to smartphones but good ones (I am a 1020, 1520, 950XLowner). Surface is limited to nothing (Iam an SP, SP2, SP3 and SB owner) and its quality recognition along with"lean forwardness" (??) is second to none.

The next MSFT "connector" or "Bridge" or"Span" is not just a phone it's something more....a small computingdevice, that is very fast, very memory large, very graphic, very long lived(battery wise) and very connected only ONE of whose connections is LTE.

And I can see it as a starting personal for lifedevice that can be unlocked with an implanted chipand can use Iridium or other satellite connections when it or its successorbecomes cheap enough for the masses (like me).

Hum, one might eventually call the One Drive, Surface Personal Pad andconnection system something like: Microsoft Universal. So the Surface Personal Pad becomes Surface Universal.

Take that inthe ear Android and iPhlop.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
It's a good question, but like has already been said, the lumia name is really synonymous with failure, and another release, while may be good for the fans, is just going to flop.

Unfortunately, for the tiny amount of users of Windows Mobiles, there aren't enough to justify a new phone, meanwhile, for all the other people who use android and iphone, what could it possibly offer to make them consider a change?

It has hit that stage where I don't think a surface phone can do anything.

With that said, new flagship phones across the board have been rather underwhelming, and the price points the big companies are targeting now are rather absurd.

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Agree with you on this Jason, Microsoft has tainted the Windows Phone badly enough to chase off most consumers. They need to market the device as a Ultramobile with Telephone. If they go the WP route I think they should have two different levels, a super affordable Lumia labeled and premium version with Surface quality build.

Last edited:

Riopato

May 11, 2013
Visit site
MS already does this for Android with their Arrow launcher app. There's no point to make a Lumia running Android. The Lumia name should stay associated with Windows Phone and MS should have offered support for the Android bridge that they successfully developed considering they are abandoning the platform anyway.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I personally think the question is deeper than a name. The smartphone market is saturated with Android taking over 80-percent and iPhone taking pretty much the rest. A **smartphone** from Microsoft with *any* name would still have to contend *as* a smartphone where there would be little chance of success.

I believe a new category of device, running Windows 10, Andromeda, with CSHell on a pocketable PC with Continuum, that can be full PC when docked, phablet-sized handheld perhaps when folded and a tablet when unfolded differentiates the device on a more fundamental basis than what the name would accomplish alone.

With telephony it could still do what a phone does, but would be categoriacally a new type of pocket PC. With that positioning I would suggest the Surface branding so that it falls in line with the Surface family of devices under the Studio, Pro, Laptop and Hub as an ultramobile PC with a strong inking, digital notepad focus.

-----------------------------------------
This is how Microsoft could position ultramobike PCs.

Microsoft needs to leverage partnerships, eSIM and edge computing to position ultramobile PCs:
Good points.
But don't people want apps? Don't people want devices that can work as they personal AND work device?
Do you think that is a consideration?
Thanks,

https://www.windowscentral.com/surf...omputing-could-help-position-ultra-mobile-pcs

jfreiman

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
What ever name they choose, it should be TRUE to the devices features and function.
If the next device has "basic" camera features then it should be called a Surface xyz.
If the next device has a wild camera resolution, great lenses, insane framerates, and SOFTWARE that equals or matches the Lumia Camera app, then they should keep using Lumia.
But based on my current expectations, I think this next devices hardware and features will warrant it a "Surface" branding.
That said, I also 100% expect the next Windows 10 "phone" to run not just Win32 Intel programs, but ALSO run Android apps and dare I say, iOS apps as well? Users, including myself were already running Android apps in the public preview of Windows 10 Phone a couple years ago.... on my Lumia 1020!
I don't see any other way Microsoft replaces an iPhone or Android phone from a consumers hands without running there apps - ie. people can take their purchased apps from the Apple and Play stores with them to Windows.

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
That said, I also 100% expect the next Windows 10 "phone" to run not just Win32 Intel programs, but ALSO run Android apps and dare I say, iOS apps as well? Users, including myself were already running Android apps in the public preview of Windows 10 Phone a couple years ago.... on my Lumia 1020!
I don't see any other way Microsoft replaces an iPhone or Android phone from a consumers hands without running there apps - ie. people can take their purchased apps from the Apple and Play stores with them to Windows.

Blackberry OS attempted this as well, running a very bad attempt at emulation that resulted in the final demise. As a BB10 user all that Android Apps on BB did was prove to BB users that Android is what they wanted, John Chen took care of the rest. I don't think they ever took that as a serious function, but a way to move their dedicated base to Android. It's the hot water trick, slowly turn the heat up over time and no one notices, throw hot water and they do.

I don't think Microsoft is in that position though as they have only a small base left of us anyways, so it isn't like they will loose anyone else. Bringing three ecosystem compatibility would be great, as long as Google and Apple agree to it.

mikewarner

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
While I like the innovation described and see it's uses I can't see myself lugging a phablet around in my jacket and trouser pockets. That really is taking a step backwards in my mind. A clever design that maximises screen size yet minimises, as much as possible, physical size of phone so that it's pocketable (with ease and comfort) while delivering that you mention would be a worthy device to be called a Surface something.

oldgreygeek

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
it really will not matter, it only depends upon how MS markets the dam thing., it they just put it out without any marketing incentives it will fail no matter what it is called and what it looks like and what its capabilities are!

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
The name is irrelevant to me. As long as the new device has desktop power and functionality achievable through an upgraded Continuum connection, retains backward compatibility with today's modest standards of telephony and messaging while expanding their scope, and has a terrific camera with two or even three different lenses for the wide to medium telephoto range, all offering image stabilization, I'll buy one. If it's just another me-too device that can't deliver real value added above what Android and Apple are offering already (or will be by the end of the year), I won't.

vacancy job

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
Surface will be better, as Lumia is a failure product in general consumers mind. but Surface reputation is better and which related to high quality...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss