Which is better name if Microsoft have plan to release new window phone (surface or Lumia )

maddogmoffit

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
<snip some of Jason's backstory>

I believe a new category of device, running Windows 10, Andromeda, with CSHell on a pocketable PC with Continuum, that can be full PC when docked, phablet-sized handheld perhaps when folded and a tablet when unfolded differentiates the device on a more fundamental basis than what the name would accomplish alone.

<snip some of Jason's defintions>

https://www.windowscentral.com/surf...omputing-could-help-position-ultra-mobile-pcs

We have read this vision of Jason time after time and I have to agree with him it is an intriguing vision, being able to move seamless between different peripherals and always getting an interface designed for that form factor. Still I can't see the audience for this any more.
Who today needs and PC (what ever OS)? High-end gamers and content producers, yes but do the want to be limited to the technical limits of the phone/tablet-form factor when it comes to graphical output, memory and storage prestanda? Even for those there is other option to deliver the same experiance and that is thru cloud solution and streaming, something I see Microsoft is putting more resources into than this ultra mobile PC. What I see is that the rest of the planet outside gamers and content producers are moving towards the mobile OS and devices represented by iOS and Android.

Do not use Surface for a new try out in the mobile arena to keep the name Surface secure for new flops and maybe try out and Microsoft branded Lumia Android series instead. I think the train have left the station when it comes to Microsoft's vision for an ultra mobile PC and as they also wrecked their name within the mobile industry, any phone with an MS OS will have an giant uphill battle for trust.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I think I would go with "Lumia" but as I have now moved away from a Microsoft operating system phone it will have to be a good phone to cause me to come back. I really don't trust Microsoft with mobile operating systems anymore.

horbeme

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
i would rather MS go with the Surface brand because with its tablets, laptops and book it revived MS image in the device space. to me it would be wise if they decide to make another phone use the same branding and do they best to hit it out the park like they did with the tablets, laptop and the book. to me the Lumia is more associated with Nokia and since Nokia is now fully Android it just wouldn't make sense. i have one question can MS still use the name Lumia? Nokia isnt using it but was there any licensing on the name for MS to use it?

finbaar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Lumia and Windows in a combination with either Phone or Mobile are toxic brands and should bot be used at all. In fact Microsoft should not call anything ever again a phone. They need a "new" category of mobile computer which will probably be a Surface.

Mikado_Wu

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
While I agree with Lumia name not being successful, I would not use Surface Phone until their Supposed Vision for mobile is ready. To do so would only label the Surface Phone as a failure too.

Also, unless they get a Number of Banks and a handful of the App holdouts over, releasing the line is going to stay stagnant.

Nayden

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
Frankly I don't care about the brand name, but instead Microsoft should do something big to convince the app developers and smart gadgets' manufacturers about its future in windows phones. I like my lumia 950 but as you well know the choice of apps is very limited and I am already sick and tired of getting no for an answer when asking "is it available for...." :unhappysweat:

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Were having this conversation, seriously?

I know, right? It isn't even up for debate. Free advertising next year, fond memories from at least three users. The decision is simple:

Zune Mobile.
BAM!
Guardians of the Galaxy are already 'promoting' it. :winktongue:

You may laugh, but back when Ford had turned the Taurus into a crapmobile rental fleet queen, they introduced their new sedan as the 500 because they thought the Taurus name was destroyed. First thing the New CEO did was change the name back, and it worked out well for them. Name recognition is King. That is why the iPhone will always be the iPhone, even when there are four/six different versions for sale. That is why Samsung will always have a Galaxy S#, Note, Tab, J#, etc.

Name Recognition is King. Zune L950 & L950XL. Awwww yeah...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I know, right? It isn't even up for debate. Free advertising next year, fond memories from at least three users. The decision is simple:

Zune Mobile.
BAM!
Guardians of the Galaxy are already 'promoting' it. :winktongue:

You may laugh, but back when Ford had turned the Taurus into a crapmobile rental fleet queen, they introduced their new sedan as the 500 because they thought the Taurus name was destroyed. First thing the New CEO did was change the name back, and it worked out well for them. Name recognition is King. That is why the iPhone will always be the iPhone, even when there are four/six different versions for sale. That is why Samsung will always have a Galaxy S#, Note, Tab, J#, etc.

Name Recognition is King. Zune L950 & L950XL. Awwww yeah...
I am on record somewhere on these boards hoping and wishing that Alan Mullally would become CEO before Nadella was named as Clippy's successor. He did a tremendous job at Ford.

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I'd go with both Lumia and Surface

Lumia is a known brand and Surface Mobile is something we have been waiting for quite a while. This mixture can cause the necessary hype and traction Microsoft needs after the epic failure of these years of mobile betas.

By the way this next try will be my last try with Microsoft.

truenexus

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
I will go for Lumia because Lumia is popular than surface in most of countries as a smartphone brand .
what you windows phone fans wants Microsoft to name new window phone if they have a plan to release new windows phone

IMHO, the brand *Lumia* is so 2000late. As already commented, *Surface* brand sticks in minds with tablet/pc products. If it ever happens, a new, branded line up should be pursued. Nothing says, "Ooh new, shiny, and I want it" like forward-thinking branding, whatever that is to be. *Lumia* name has cooled like cold oatmeal, for reasons already mentioned.
Like other commenters stated, need flagship Enterprise Windows models. Lower-cost consumer tiers might include a VR/Gaming model, a ruggedized, cellular Go-Pro-like device, a Fashionista model, and of course a Plain-Jane slab . I really wish Microsoft would've done the cellular watch-phone first, yet maybe not too late for a me-too. Oh, and one more thing... a police/first-responder ruggedized, multi-SIM, end-of-world-gear device.

Oltremari

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
I love my Lumia phone. But I don't care what my phone is called. What I care about is a dependable phone that is easy to use. The top two issues with Windows phones is the App Gap and the lack of an effective marketing campaign on Microsoft's part. Microsoft did not do a good job at all in letting consumers know what a Windows phone was (or that it existed.)

I would love for Microsoft to come out with a new phone/mobile line that could compete in the smartphone market.

But unless Microsoft puts forth a proper marketing campaign it doesn't matter what they name their next phone.

Microsoft needs to provide a stable development environment that makes it easy for developers to port existing Android apps as well as creating new apps. We see ubiquitous links that direct smartphone users to the Apple and Google app stores. Unless Microsoft can get a Microsoft Store link next to those two, their next phone is doomed. If developers refuse to port their apps to the Microsoft platform, Microsoft does not stand a chance.

Bryant White

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Neither of them:
Lumia (i like it but been real) is death for consumer market
Surface could (and knowing Microsof's record) could harm the brand, they could release a surface phone down the road if they succeed with a new brand that can grab as little as 9% worldwide marketshare, anything before that won't make good for the brand.

pat grinnan

Aug 4, 2017
Visit site
Re: Which is better name if Microsoft have plan to release new window phone (surface or Lumia

I will go for Lumia because Lumia is popular than surface in most of countries as a smartphone brand .
what you windows phone fans wants Microsoft to name new window phone if they have a plan to release new windows phone

Keep the Luma 950XL best phone ever.

WandowsTan

May 5, 2017
Visit site
Oh giddy, this is gonna be a LONG LONG RANT...

Preferences and facts:
I still use my Lumia device, regardless i wouldn't think the best option is to go with Lumia branding either way, what everyone who love the brand keep saying is that, people loved the design, the looks, the features, etc. the thing is yeah it was all good enough for me and at some points even impressive but overall, the Lumia brand has been tarnished point blank Microsoft made it clear to the whole world when they ended "Lumia support" and clarified that Lumia was sold less and lesser and its market declined into nothing because it was a failed device in the end.

The point:
No matter how anyone wants to put anything to like make an excuse "no developers/ too many reboots" all this amounts to nothing, Lumia as a brand failed and many other brand consumers watched this brand fall, in a business if a project fails we don't restart that project with the same name in most cases we'd simply re-use the viable idea's in it and re-implement the project under a different name, the reason for this is to prevent bad judgement and the possibility that it will get less supported due to people "judging the book by its cover" like for instance " oh its Lumia, i bet its going to fail again cause i had a friend who had one of those, its nice but its a limited system" why this judgement, because people are unaware and will not care to put time to figure out some other failed brands system since they are already invested in something else and they believe they already know this brand because its "Lumia", so this will cause the device sales to flop based on the brand name itself.

Why Surface brand should be used:
When this Microsoft will use the new unified Windows system, its best they go with the surface brand because Surface mobile never existed, technically speaking there was no real "Surface mobile" pushed by Microsoft as a device so its going to make all other consumers not judge it by the Lumia brand that failed horribly in the end in terms of its sales. Instead consumers will actually contribute time to figure out what this new device exactly is by gathering information instead of assuming what it is, if it was using the Lumia brand and if it was using the Lumia brand, a google search would have simply given out the history of what happened to Lumia thus chasing the viable customer off all thanks to that frightful history Lumia has had with its demise.

Brandishing:
At the end of the day, there is the one simple logical point in any consumer who consumes products/brands which is to buy products that work and not buy products that wont work and this first impression effect happens based on their first experience of the product/brand thus they stick to what worked for them or what works for them, many consumers bought Android Phones/iPhones instead of Windows Phones because Lumia didn't work for them and they remember that choice, which was to turn their heads away from the brand name called Lumia, because it didn't work once, they wont try that again nor wish to waste their valuable time to figure out whats different with the new Windows Phone produced under same brand this time but if its a different brand, then they'd least be somewhat curious because the brand naming itself implies something about the product and very well may define the quality of it because simply based on how the brand itself has done in the past will define its future where as Lumia failed in sales the Surface did not fail, the Surface line overall has had a positive outlook due to its high end devices, amazing designs, great technologies within each model that was released under the Surface brand name, it simply adds layers of expressions to the product itself and boosts the products "potential sales" and its value.

but all said and done, i'd like everyone to know that being a Lumia fan is one thing and loving Windows is another. if i were you, i'd choose the latter because to me, its always gonna be Windows.

Venkatesan Ramasami

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Shall we call it LUMIA SW10 (Surface windows 10) If hp elite x3 phone had Zeiss optics without aby hesitation I would have gone for it by now. Now I have to wait to see Surface Phone before a decision.

Isaiah Heart

May 2, 2015
Visit site
It's not true that Lumia is a failure. It is lack of marketing from Microsoft. To every effect there is a cause. If Microsoft were passionate about the brand. We wouldn't be talking about the Surface phone, the Lumia should have been this Surface phone. Microsoft should carry on with Lumia, it should be for the fans or a budget phone for those who won't manage buy the surface phone.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Lumia is only a failure to the very small percentage of people who bought one. Outside of that, the brand name is still largely unknown. I'm fairly confident that I could ask all of my co-workers what a Lumia is/was, and they wouldn't know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre