10-05-2017 07:12 PM
162 ... 567
tools
    Why x in name?
    Unsuspecting buyers might think they're getting the iPhone X.

We don't need a third mobile OS people. In fact we don't need windows at all. Microsoft could make a surface tablet with ios. Or cortana with Google search. I mean who needs Bing when all you need is to google things.
    Interesting viewpoint...
    09-26-2017 12:47 PM
    Satya's viewpoint.
    Fun fact. When I typed satya in SwiftKey the first prediction was Satan.
    09-26-2017 12:58 PM
    If the patent for a foldable phone is anything to go by Surface will be a more appropriate name. I’ve always liked the name Lumia but now it’s tainted now but may still turn things around if they really wanted to.
    09-26-2017 04:58 PM
    I will go for Lumia because Lumia is popular than surface in most of countries as a smartphone brand .
    what you windows phone fans wants Microsoft to name new window phone if they have a plan to release new windows phone
    Seriously folks, it does not matter really. I would vote for Lumia because it worked well outside the USA, in spite of Natella's childish antics .... just because he voted against MS' acquisition of Nokia's phone business he seems to have decided that MS will not have a phone anyway.
    09-26-2017 11:47 PM
    I will go for Lumia because Lumia is popular than surface in most of countries as a smartphone brand .
    what you windows phone fans wants Microsoft to name new window phone if they have a plan to release new windows phone
    WHY!? Lumia is a failing name now!
    09-27-2017 01:11 AM
    From a branding and a porfolio perspective you can look at it in different ways:

1. Lumia is a heritage from Nokia so it should disappear quickly in my humble opinion. It feels like a brand created for a transformation period and thus has no longevity and will loose credibility over time.

2. From a parent company perspective, using Microsoft and a sub brand would be too long and create confusion (look at Apple and Iphone for example. There is clear separation from the company name and the product.

3. Surface is a good name but still too generic. I think Microsoft did a great job with the Xbox which explains the product and give good opportunities for sub brands (such as Xbox One etc.)

4. If we play with the name Surface, it is rather generic and probably gives a sense of something bigger than a phone.

5. Therefore, for me, I could see an opportunity to create build a stronger linkage between the products (tablets, phones, computers...) by using a distinct branding for each product category but that still fit with the others.

6. I already have strong brand names in my mind which could work very well together and thus building a stronger portfolio of brands...

7. But for this, I would need to speak directly with someone at MS (and it will be worth while.... :)
    09-27-2017 04:39 PM
    Well, you dont give a same name to your second child right? So for me its good, if this windows phone is dressed up with a Surface look! Lets see how it rocks!
    09-29-2017 12:09 AM
    Lumia. I like the name Lumia, and don't associate it with failure. And I like my Lumia 650, and 630 before that. If anything is associated with failure, it's Window Phone, or Windows Mobile... Bill Gates is even using Android now.
    09-29-2017 09:14 AM
    Honestly Surface not only has a name for itself but the entire surface line up has been much more stable compared to third party manufactures like Dell, HP, Acer and etc. They just have issues that I can't even try to keep track of except for inexcusable bugs and crashes. Meanwhile I have barely had an issue with surface devices, literally 1 blue screen on my pro 4 after 1 whole year of usage and still going strong.

I have a Lumia 650 and granted it's not like the 950's power but having to reset it 1+ times daily is absolutely stupid and Microsoft did everything in their power to make it better. Blu-tooth issues, apps crashing or not loading properly, random restart out of nowhere. I don't care about being super duper fast but I do expect stability and lumia certainly isn't associated with such a title let alone being reliable.

Having a surface phone from the surface team would let me know that they are putting effort behind it and actually support it. Who knows the new mobile OS would be updated for the better for a much fresher start. All I'm saying is that if MS was to push another Lumia phone out they will never penetrate the market which is what they would want thus leading them to permanently killing the mobile division. Seeing the surface brand on MS's new phone will lead people to think they will support it more rather than being unsure with the history that lumia has right now.
    09-29-2017 10:16 AM
    It needs to be called Surface and part of that brand. Just call it the Surface Phone. That way you have the Surface Pro, Surface Book, Surface Studio and Surface Phone. An entire device family in one ecosystem. That's all consumers see for Microsoft now. If they use Lumia people will think of Windows phone and it won't sell.
    WandowsTan and raycpl like this.
    09-30-2017 06:24 AM
    Finally someone who gets it....
    10-02-2017 03:47 AM
    I was trying to make an analogy fit, but can't think of a good one, so the problem I have with MS strategy is, it appears that they know that they can't just leave mobile behind. Their future depends on it, because while there still is use of windows, this will just decline as time goes on. For how most private consumers use computers, cheap android or ipads will do the job. The problem in allowing this to happen is, eventually commercial will catch up as well, and they'll make inroads to that sector as well, like they already are.

The surface line has probably done much to fend it off somewhat, offering windows tablets, but apps still lag behind and the surface devices rely too heavily on full windows, to the point that UWP and what not hasn't really done much. Sounded good, but didn't work...

In retrenching mobile, my thinking is that they're just letting the platform die off, and realistically, any future reboot is going to be so far behind, as a result, that I can't see how it will take off in the first place, unless MS' plans for a future reboot are also very uncertain.

I can see that the industry is working on newer tech. Bending screens, are one of them, the problem is, smartphones offered brand new functionality which dumb phones didn't really offer as well as maintaining all the dumb phone functions, so they were coming into a new space. Any of this stuff such as folding screens, it's not a major change, and where MS are really stuffed is, any reboot still won't provide that third party support that users will expect when they get their new category.

This is why surface RT failed, there was no new functionality, due to a lack of apps, meanwhile, a lot of the functionality users could get from a laptop wasn't there because it didn't support win32. Even with the success of the surface pro, if they released RT again today, it would still fail.
    10-05-2017 07:12 PM
162 ... 567