Which is better name if Microsoft have plan to release new window phone (surface or Lumia )

Punisher2000

Sep 26, 2017
Visit site
It really does'nt matter what name the they use, they just need to bring a device that will really please consumers, if windows 10 OS andromeda brings a great experience to windows phones fans, then the name of the brand don't count. Let just wait and see what MS brings to the table in 2018

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Lumia is only a failure to the very small percentage of people who bought one. Outside of that, the brand name is still largely unknown. I'm fairly confident that I could ask all of my co-workers what a Lumia is/was, and they wouldn't know.
No, lot of people's know Lumia brand because of Nokia they didn't know what windows phone is

Sent from (iOK)

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely Surface. I see Surfaces more and more frequently when I'm at uni these days. Where as I saw less than ten Lumias in the years they were being made, three of which were people I suggested them to. Lumia is a dead brand and bringing it back would be a complete waste of time, regardless of how fondly we may remember it.

In another timeline we're all happily using our Lumia 960s with the full fall creator's update and seeing them being used by randoms on the street...

DMelan

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone is what's most associated with failure. Lumia is more like "have I heard of that?" It's Windows Phone / Windows Mobile that people actively avoided, not Lumia. Perhaps Lumia was guilty by association in certain circles, but was not derided in and of itself. Besides, the name of the next Microsoft mobile device is a tiny issue compared to the much MUCH bigger task of providing a platform people are actually interested in. WM didn't fail because of the name.

anon(10242418)

May 19, 2017
Visit site
We don't need a third mobile OS people. In fact we don't need windows at all. Microsoft could make a surface tablet with ios. Or cortana with Google search. I mean who needs Bing when all you need is to google things.

agd87

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If the patent for a foldable phone is anything to go by Surface will be a more appropriate name. I’ve always liked the name Lumia but now it’s tainted now but may still turn things around if they really wanted to.

Long Xuyen

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I will go for Lumia because Lumia is popular than surface in most of countries as a smartphone brand .
what you windows phone fans wants Microsoft to name new window phone if they have a plan to release new windows phone
Seriously folks, it does not matter really. I would vote for Lumia because it worked well outside the USA, in spite of Natella's childish antics .... just because he voted against MS' acquisition of Nokia's phone business he seems to have decided that MS will not have a phone anyway.

Pinnsvein

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
From a branding and a porfolio perspective you can look at it in different ways:

1. Lumia is a heritage from Nokia so it should disappear quickly in my humble opinion. It feels like a brand created for a transformation period and thus has no longevity and will loose credibility over time.

2. From a parent company perspective, using Microsoft and a sub brand would be too long and create confusion (look at Apple and Iphone for example. There is clear separation from the company name and the product.

3. Surface is a good name but still too generic. I think Microsoft did a great job with the Xbox which explains the product and give good opportunities for sub brands (such as Xbox One etc.)

4. If we play with the name Surface, it is rather generic and probably gives a sense of something bigger than a phone.

5. Therefore, for me, I could see an opportunity to create build a stronger linkage between the products (tablets, phones, computers...) by using a distinct branding for each product category but that still fit with the others.

6. I already have strong brand names in my mind which could work very well together and thus building a stronger portfolio of brands...

7. But for this, I would need to speak directly with someone at MS (and it will be worth while.... :)

Lightning_Racer

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Lumia. I like the name Lumia, and don't associate it with failure. And I like my Lumia 650, and 630 before that. If anything is associated with failure, it's Window Phone, or Windows Mobile... Bill Gates is even using Android now.

21Vicroy

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Honestly Surface not only has a name for itself but the entire surface line up has been much more stable compared to third party manufactures like Dell, HP, Acer and etc. They just have issues that I can't even try to keep track of except for inexcusable bugs and crashes. Meanwhile I have barely had an issue with surface devices, literally 1 blue screen on my pro 4 after 1 whole year of usage and still going strong.

I have a Lumia 650 and granted it's not like the 950's power but having to reset it 1+ times daily is absolutely stupid and Microsoft did everything in their power to make it better. Blu-tooth issues, apps crashing or not loading properly, random restart out of nowhere. I don't care about being super duper fast but I do expect stability and lumia certainly isn't associated with such a title let alone being reliable.

Having a surface phone from the surface team would let me know that they are putting effort behind it and actually support it. Who knows the new mobile OS would be updated for the better for a much fresher start. All I'm saying is that if MS was to push another Lumia phone out they will never penetrate the market which is what they would want thus leading them to permanently killing the mobile division. Seeing the surface brand on MS's new phone will lead people to think they will support it more rather than being unsure with the history that lumia has right now.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It needs to be called Surface and part of that brand. Just call it the Surface Phone. That way you have the Surface Pro, Surface Book, Surface Studio and Surface Phone. An entire device family in one ecosystem. That's all consumers see for Microsoft now. If they use Lumia people will think of Windows phone and it won't sell.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon