Why most of WP users switch to android and not iOS?

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I can’t fathom why any wp user moving would choose iOS. iOS stands opposite of virtually everything that wp users said made their platform great, the customisable os, the choice of phones, so much about it.

iOS is rigid and closed, about as creative as a brick. More than that however is that android has things like ms launcher which really integrates Microsoft into an android and cortana which can replace google assistant. I would actually ask, why would any wp convert choose iOS...

tmc1979

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking at replacing my Lumia 950, and for me the choice boils down to which iPhone to go for. 2 reasons: Apple's commitment to privacy, and updates. I have an Acer Android tablet. It came with Android 4.4. It's still on Android 4.4. No updates available. My parents have Nexus tablets. They've been able to update them, but with every version of Android they get slower and slower, until the older Nexus had to be replaced, it was unusable. On the other hand I know people who are still happy with their iPhone 4, on iOS10. I don't think I need to discuss privacy, it's pretty clear cut between the two.

JasonH81

May 17, 2012
Visit site
That's because Apple is a horrible ripoff. Hardware alone you are paying more for less. It doesn't include the fast charger accessories ($85) and the dumb dongle ($35) you'll need so you can plug your phone in and charge it while you use your headphones or aux.

Plus Android has the Microsoft launcher, it really helps ease the transition.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
That's because Apple is a horrible ripoff.

I think what your paying for with Apple is customer servicing.
For many I believe the high outlay simplifies their experience and keeps them confident that problems will be addressed without delay.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I moved to android first, with a new S7 Edge. Compared to WP it was heaven. But the more I used it the less I liked it. Android has weird issues with app management. An app I closed 2 days ago - and had not used since - would become a notification of: app X is using too much battery and has been suspended.

All of my family is on iOS. I sold my Windows phones (an Icon, a 1520 and the 950XL dual sim) and Android tablet (Samsung S2) and bought iPads. These days I am pretty much all in on iOS. Still have the S7 edge, as that is a work phone. But when the next upgrade time comes around it will be an iPhone.

I don't understand all the hate for Apple. Nor do I get the walled garden and it's too locked down. Locked down? WP was locked down because there was so much I could not do on it. The apps on iOS are better than the same apps on Android. Way less advertising, first of all. But just a smoother overall experience.

Locked down, indeed. iOS is like being released from prison, after doing 2 to 5 in WP.

elbimster

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've used all 3 platforms in the last year, for extended periods as my daily driver. I had a 950XL (well, still have it) up through sometime in December. I also had an old iPhone for the handful of apps that WP didn't support. I found myself using the iPhone more and more, so I made the decision that even though I love my WP (I still think the built in apps are better than iOS or Android), the missing apps were too much.

So in December, when I went home for xmas, I started using my dad's old iPhone 6s. It worked fine, and it was nice having one phone again to do everything. I started using it with the mindset it would be a stop-gap until the S8 came out. It took me about a month to just get bored and frustrated with it. It felt like it took SO many taps to do anything. Things that would take 1-2 taps on a WP took 6-7 on iOS. The thing I missed the most though? Live tiles. This is one of the main reasons I went to Android. NOTE: I do use an iPad, and absolutely love it as a tablet. Just didn't like the interface on the phone.

Android has widgets. Widgets are not as good as live tiles IMO, but they're better than the NOTHING equivalent that iOS offers. Someone was asking why people complain about the boring iOS grid interface. I can't speak for everyone, but for me the WP Live Tiles allowed me to find out a piece of info without going into the app (who emailed me, who posted to my FB, what call did I miss, etc). Really without even having to tap or swipe anything. That's why I'm sticking with Android.

TL;DR
Widgets are closer to Live Tiles than anything iOS offers, and it takes fewer taps on Android to achieve the same thing than it does with iOS.

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people complaining that iOS has no wigets and is boring. It has widgets in the notification dropdown.

And they actually work.

On my oneplus 3, either the widgets don't work, take up more screen real estate then they actually occupy, are really buggy, or are just plain useless. Some of them are just buttons that open the app.

NIST

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy S8+ running SquareHome2 99% Windows Phone. It was a simple and worthwhile switch. Plus VR, DEX, Connected home, Samsung Pay.....Zero security issues.

Husky44

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm on this site more in the past 2 weeks than I have been in the previous 2 years, but I'm in the middle of making this transition. I would love to gut out WP if I knew that the Surface unicorn existed, but I've been waiting for it (or the almost real cousin, McLaren) since my 930 battery started getting weak.

I tried an iPhone 6+ for a few days. I'm not sure what all the raves were about. Nothing seemed to be where it should, or even in the same place in different apps. As others have said, it took me many more clicks, swipes, etc, to accomplish a task than it did on my 950. The lack of live tiles frustrated not only me, but my iPhone-using wife--every time I pointed out to her how I would have known who emailed, or commented, or I wanted a quick glance at weather, and I told her how much better it was with WP.

I'm back on my 950, as it's still running strong, although the battery is starting to get weak. I'm waiting for prices to drop on the V30 to give it a shot, but I'm not happy with either choice, honestly. I don't like iOS forcing me into the Apple way; I don't like Android/Google wanting to monetize every bit of my data, and the alleged security risks that appear to come with Android. It feels like I'm being asked if I want to starve to death, or be gut-shot and bleed out...

StefEBear

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Personally I hate Apple's "Holier than Though" (It's Magical) attitude and their anally retentive "Walled Garden". They'll never get any of my money

I'm now a user of a Galaxy S8+ and thorougly enjoying it. I've not gone too overboard with cusomisation. I've got a few apps/folders on my 2 page home screens .but it's very minimal, And one page full of WIdgets. (I do miss the virtical home page of Live Tiles on WM10)

Last edited:

joanzen

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd been on Windows Phone/Mobile since my LG Quantum in back in 2010. I really wanted to hold out for the Verizon HP Elite x3, but I just couldn't justify the cost for a dead OS and my Icon's battery life was measured in minutes... So I started looking around. I've had my shiny new LG V30 for about 24 hours. It's certainly a beautiful piece of hardware and the camera is amazing. It's going to be a while getting used to Android, but I do like the customization that's available here, but not on iOS. I'm missing those live tiles, like crazy though! I'm not a huge app person, but it is nice to have many choices.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I will never go iOS. That kind of a locked down environment is not for me. It also does not integrate into my world at all. I'm trying Android, A Galaxy S8 Plus. It's a hard transition for me, one that I may not be able to maintain. The lack of standard day to day functions that I took for granted on WP just do not exist on Android. Right down to an assistant (Cortana) that allows me to be so functional by voice when driving. I feel like I've taken a HUGE step backwards. Sure, the apps are nice, but what good are they on an OS as unproductive for me as this? I can live without the apps. I cannot live without having what I consider to be basic functions embedded in the OS. Maybe the lack of apps is what prompted MSFT to do this in the first place. I do not feel I will be away much longer. I've just updated both my X3 & 950 XL to the latest build. I miss Cortana.

Mokhash Parmar

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
I switched from my Lumia 640XL to a Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra. The price was the big factor. You can get android phones that perform waay better than W10M phones for a decent price. iPhones on the other hand are too costly. Too much risk for an OS I've never used before.

JeevanP

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
To be frank the only reason we can say is it's customization capabilities of Android. You can make it look like a WP if you want.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Every post that I've read here regarding switching platforms and also many of Microsoft important people (Joe Belfiore, Bill Gates, etc.) , mentioned android as their destination.
But why? Why not iOS?

Android:
-customizability
-price
-device choice
-familiarity

iOS:
-simplicity
-security
-comply with similar use in my network. If we all use iOS we speak the same language for good and for bad.

10past12

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I recently got a OnePlus5 and it's a superb phone for the price. One snag is that I've found I cannot directly add a Microsoft account to sync contacts, only way to do it is have the Outlook app and through this app set it to sync contacts to device. Changes made to contacts don't always make it to outlook.com and in the end I've reverted to Google for my contact organisation. Plus Google assistant beats Siri and Cortana by far.

FlyLikeAnEagle

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Android is not an option for me. I want a stable, reliable OS and applications which are assured of a good future and Apple has proven all of that through the last decades. Paying a few bucks more is being refunded by Apple with a well-tested and mostly bug-free OS and applications, so it seems there really isn't a choice left nowadays.

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Android is not an option for me. I want a stable, reliable OS and applications which are assured of a good future and Apple has proven all of that through the last decades. Paying a few bucks more is being refunded by Apple with a well-tested and mostly bug-free OS and applications, so it seems there really isn't a choice left nowadays.
Also Apple products retain value. You can basically sell your iPhone for 75-80% of it's purchase price and buy the next model very easily.

Android on the other hand, your lucky to find a buyer if it's not a Samsung/google device.

Shuaibu Ahmed

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I have interacted with many people who formally use WP and over 90% of them choose Android phones over iPhones because you have a wide selection of brands to choose from and the flexibility and freedom to do what you want with Android phones, but many of them if not all of them still wish MS hadn't messed up WP and if MS had made the license of WP os free it probably would have still stood a chance at being the 3rd popular smartphone OS. WINDOWS PHONE might still have a future if only Microsoft is dedicated to new features, timely software updates and making licening free for OEM is adopt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss