Why most of WP users switch to android and not iOS?

Sean Botha

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I really hate android and the fact that google refuse to have their products on WP even if it is a 3rd party app just makes up my mind that I will not support google again so IPhone if I can't have a Windows Phone

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Why would anyone want to switch to iOS??

Seriously, I do understand why some people would go to iOS. There are a lot of people out there that like simple and get overwhelmed with choice.

I think that this is too simplified interpretation. Simple usage =/= simple user.
I think it's more about what users want. iPhones are premium devices that "just work" :) (disclaimer: my phone has android)

In my opinion going with Apple is like living in a country under a dictatorship.

As a user (citizen) of Apple you dont get to choose what you want on so many aspects from software to hardware.

Apple "decides" what is best for its users (citizens) and imposes its will on all of them as it sees fit.
Sometimes they truly do what is best for the users but every decision also is influenced by what is best for Apple and its leaders as well. (what lines their pockets the most).

I don't see too much difference compared to old Nokia, WP/WM or Android (or dishwashers) :D

Android has an edge in allowing 3rd party apps to be used as default, but Google does not allow full freedom.
WM may have had the biggest amount of democracy with insider feedback "voting".
Without Apple, would we be using Symbian?

c4m3ron

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
For me its personal. I will never purchase an Apple product. I went with an S8 Plus which is smaller than my Elite X3 but its ok. The one thing I miss the most is Cortana.

But with your S8+ you get Bixby, Google Assistant AND Cortana! You can install Cortana from the Play store. Again, Android is all about CHOICE.

c4m3ron

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Personally I hate Apple's "Holier than Though" (It's Magical) attitude and their anally retentive "Walled Garden". They'll never get any of my money

I'm now a user of a Galaxy S8+ and thorougly enjoying it. I've not gone too overboard with cusomisation. I've got a few apps/folders on my 2 page home screens .but it's very minimal, And one page full of WIdgets. (I do miss the virtical home page of Live Tiles on WM10)

Why not install a custom launcher from the Play store? SquareHome 2 for example makes your phone look just like a Windows phone and it couldn't be easier to use.

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
But with your S8+ you get Bixby, Google Assistant AND Cortana! You can install Cortana from the Play store. Again, Android is all about CHOICE.
Cortana on Android/iOS is only available in the states. And it's been that way for years. No signs of it ever coming to other markets.

c4m3ron

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
You can install Cortana. Also Samsung has Bixby which will give you the low level system access and then there's Google Assistant which is incredibly accurate for searching.

As for saying you will miss out on apps, I find this an odd statement. The demise of Windows phone for the most part is total lack of apps and development compared to the competition. You can download Microsoft apps anyway on Android. Everything else you need will be found there too. I cannot think of anything you won't find on the Play store.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think that this is too simplified interpretation. Simple usage =/= simple user.
I think it's more about what users want. iPhones are premium devices that "just work" :) (disclaimer: my phone has android)

The user experience of an Android out-of-the-box is very similar to the user experience of an iPhone. All that modding, tweaking, changing, it's not at all necessary. I think the difference is that because we can, we think we must!

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, CHOICE in apps that don't do what I need them to do. I want an assistant that will read my messages and make calls for me by voice when I'm driving. None of them can do that on Android. Cortana on Android is nothing like she is on WP. The functionality is extremely limited.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
You can install Cortana. Also Samsung has Bixby which will give you the low level system access and then there's Google Assistant which is incredibly accurate for searching.

As for saying you will miss out on apps, I find this an odd statement. The demise of Windows phone for the most part is total lack of apps and development compared to the competition. You can download Microsoft apps anyway on Android. Everything else you need will be found there too. I cannot think of anything you won't find on the Play store.

You misunderstood my comment. I was saying the lack of apps on W10M is apparent but not as bad as the limitations of the Android OS itself.

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Weird nostalgic feelings, isn't? Eventhough W10 still breathes, giving no signals that knows the tragic end that waits for it, missing feelings are unavoidable, and we ask "how do things reached this situation?".
I still didn't get to leave my950 XL in the drawer. It still run all apps I need in that efficient way we are accustomed, and as effective, fluent and fast as never. My son's Lumia 630 runs as faster as an Apple flagship. Very impressive!
Windows mobile efforts couldn't continues, despite market share and the self destructive insistence in accepting nothing less than hegemony? Selling "only" a bunch of millions of devices is something so terrible that is it preferable to treat its supporters by kicking and spitting on them? Standing in a market cluster is worse than "nothing", than rendition?
M$ succumbed to the furious vortex of a mad competition that, due to turning around and around, left those people in their Redmond's offices, almost immortals, lost in an autistic world.
They can claim the opposite, but denying can't makes disappear the smashing truth.

blazewon22

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I have both, Android for Work and iPhone for Home. Coming from a Lumia 950 for Work to a Nexus it was a huge relief for the app gap to disappear.

At one point I had Android for home and dropped it for 3 reasons:

1. Messaging - Android has futzed around with messaging for years. My family all has iPhones and iMessage and FaceTime just work. It was a losing battle to get people to use Hangouts and now I can't imaging people switching to Allo & Duo, plus you still need Messaging.

2. Music - Apple Music is awesome. Way better than Google Music and the Beats Radio is an advantage over Spotify. Apple headphones were great out of the box and the Airbuds are amazing.

3. Touch ID & Camera - These features just worked better on my iPhone. I really hope they don't force us to only use FaceID in the future. I recommend the iPhone 8.

I will also add that apps tend to get released and updated with new features first on iOS. My Airline App for example was always a week or so ahead and has less crashes. I travel frequently so this was important to me. There are also thousands of peripherals from Heart monitors to video game controllers, to Square readers.

Finally the Apple features have been better - Watch and Phone are better than Android Wear, Car Play is better than Android Auto.

Also a big benefit was AppleCare. If I crack my phone I can book an appointment on the Apple Store website walk in and have it repaired same day. My old Nexus 5 had to be sent in and one time the 3rd party warranty company sent me back an LG phone because they didn't have a Nexus in stock!

Finally iOS is quick with updates. A Pixel will be good as well, but Apple seems to patch quicker than Google.

Google does voice to text better and the Assistant is years ahead of Siri. However Siri isn't as liberal about reading all of your data.

If your primary intent is to leverage Cortana and Edge then get Android. That would however wipe out most of the benefits of the Pixel 2. If you need a Continuum experience, get Samsung.

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I have both, Android for Work and iPhone for Home. Coming from a Lumia 950 for Work to a Nexus it was a huge relief for the app gap to disappear.

At one point I had Android for home and dropped it for 3 reasons:

1. Messaging - Android has futzed around with messaging for years. My family all has iPhones and iMessage and FaceTime just work. It was a losing battle to get people to use Hangouts and now I can't imaging people switching to Allo & Duo, plus you still need Messaging.

2. Music - Apple Music is awesome. Way better than Google Music and the Beats Radio is an advantage over Spotify. Apple headphones were great out of the box and the Airbuds are amazing.

3. Touch ID & Camera - These features just worked better on my iPhone. I really hope they don't force us to only use FaceID in the future. I recommend the iPhone 8.

I will also add that apps tend to get released and updated with new features first on iOS. My Airline App for example was always a week or so ahead and has less crashes. I travel frequently so this was important to me. There are also thousands of peripherals from Heart monitors to video game controllers, to Square readers.

Finally the Apple features have been better - Watch and Phone are better than Android Wear, Car Play is better than Android Auto.

Also a big benefit was AppleCare. If I crack my phone I can book an appointment on the Apple Store website walk in and have it repaired same day. My old Nexus 5 had to be sent in and one time the 3rd party warranty company sent me back an LG phone because they didn't have a Nexus in stock!

Finally iOS is quick with updates. A Pixel will be good as well, but Apple seems to patch quicker than Google.

Google does voice to text better and the Assistant is years ahead of Siri. However Siri isn't as liberal about reading all of your data.

If your primary intent is to leverage Cortana and Edge then get Android. That would however wipe out most of the benefits of the Pixel 2. If you need a Continuum experience, get Samsung.
You summed it up perfectly. Basically Android will be better if you want to stick around with Microsofts ecosystem, but the experience wont be as good as a native solution. Honestly I'm considering dropping MS entirely and going balls deep into apple. Keep my desktop for gaming.

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
For me, it comes down to price. Put simply, iPhones are too expensive. I'm already invested in the Apple ecosystem with an iMac (albeit from 2008), two iPads and an Apple TV but I cannot justify dropping over a grand for an iPhone 8. And forget buying yesterday's tech like the iPhone SE for over AUD $500. That's pretty much my argument for deciding to go with Android. However, one thing I am worried about is the comparatively weak security of Android over iOS, W10M and even WP8.1. Sure, Google pushes out monthly security updates, but that's dependent on the hardware manufacturer. Also Google guarantees a mere two years of updates from whereas Apple's commitment lasts far longer.

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
For me, it comes down to price. Put simply, iPhones are too expensive. I'm already invested in the Apple ecosystem with an iMac (albeit from 2008), two iPads and an Apple TV but I cannot justify dropping over a grand for an iPhone 8. And forget buying yesterday's tech like the iPhone SE for over AUD $500. That's pretty much my argument for deciding to go with Android. However, one thing I am worried about is the comparatively weak security of Android over iOS, W10M and even WP8.1. Sure, Google pushes out monthly security updates, but that's dependent on the hardware manufacturer. Also Google guarantees a mere two years of updates from whereas Apple's commitment lasts far longer.
iphones have way better resale value than android phones do. I've sold year old iphones in decent condition for 80% of the price I paid for them.

Meanwhile stores won't even give me a trade in value for my oneplus

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
The one thing cool about Android is that it can be completely customized by rooting a device and installing a custom ROM. I did that several years ago on my S2 as well as on my Note 2 and first Kindle Fire.

The thing about Iphone is that it is written in a lower level language and works faster than Java with the JRE android environment. Not a huge difference but I see it.

Take your pick. I chose the Iphone 7+ because it sucks slightly less than the others.

Sent from mTalk on my 950xl

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
The one thing cool about Android is that it can be completely customized by rooting a device and installing a custom ROM. I did that several years ago on my S2 as well as on my Note 2 and first Kindle Fire.

The thing about Iphone is that it is written in a lower level language and works faster than Java with the JRE android environment. Not a huge difference but I see it.

Take your pick. I chose the Iphone 7+ because it sucks slightly less than the others.

Sent from mTalk on my 950xl
In addition to performing better, Apple just has the advantage of making both the software and the hardware. If they want some new instructions to be added to their chipset, they just call up their hardware department and have them program it.

Even with Android, if an oem makes the hardware, they don't have this level of control. Because they get their chips from. Qualcomm.

Samsung is the only exception to this with their exnyos chips.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I spent a lot of time with Android and enjoyed it for all the previously mentioned reasons. Eventually, I decided I wanted the stability of Apple and haven’t looked back.
It’s not a race or war to me, it’s just picking the one that you are most comfortable with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05