Why most of WP users switch to android and not iOS?

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I see the Pixel 2 and Galaxy S8, but don't forget about the LG V30, especially if a 3.5mm jack is still high on your list of important features.

Back on topic though, iPhones tell you what you want, Android let's you decide what you want.

Picking up a V30 on Friday. Can't wait.

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
As I've thought about this, I probably spend 70% of the time thinking I would go Android and 30% iOS.

In terms of my priorities, Android has better customizability including changing default apps to Microsoft ones, better notification system, broader range of features, less locked into one ecosystem I don't currently use (still somewhat locked in), and far superior digital assistant/AI.

iOS has security. That is a huge deal for me. Every time I hear of another vulnerability in Android or Google launches another product that collects ridiculous amounts of data on you to sell to advertisers, I think I want an iPhone. In theory, I much prefer the business model of keeping your privacy at the cost of more up-front hardware cost.

And then I imagine actually having to use an iPhone, and go back to thinking Android is worth the loss of privacy. As long as I go Pixel or maybe BlackBerry (I do miss the physical keyboard, and they need to care about security more than most third parties).

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 640 (non-LTE) user here!

Really like the long guaranteed updates of iOS and its "walled garden" that's akin to W10M... but it's hardware is prohibitively expensive for me

Android gave the freedom to choose, and some of it fit my budget and usage needs perfectly. But the sketchy update path and most running outdated Android (Marshmallow in 2017!) is a major turnoff for me

Must stay hungry to not be poor :sweaty:

anon(9923361)

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I didn't consider Android. I already had an IPad and literally everyone in my circle has an IPhone. I decided if MS forced me to switch, I would go all in. Next purchase will be an IMac to replace my slow Windows PC. And the fact that Microsoft seems to be going to Android probably means they will lure their users over there and pull the rug out from under them. Actually, Safari on IPhone works better than Edge ever did on WP. I have MS Outlook, Groove and OneDrive, which is decent for pictures. I wish MS would port Photos over. The Apple Mail, Calendar and Contacts apps handle outlook.com real well so I really don't use MS Outlook anymore. By the way I tried to post this in Windows Central App on Windows 10 and it doesn't work again.

NYCMetsPDX

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
...Every time I hear of another vulnerability in Android or Google launches another product that collects ridiculous amounts of data on you to sell to advertisers, I think I want an iPhone. In theory, I much prefer the business model of keeping your privacy at the cost of more up-front hardware cost.

And then I imagine actually having to use an iPhone, and go back to thinking Android is worth the loss of privacy. ...

You summed up my thoughts exactly. I'm not a huge Google fan because of all the data collection, but as a tech junkie I wanted a flexible platform that I could tinker with while waiting for the bus. Android fits the bill for me in that regard. I don't know if I'll ever love the OS, but hardware wise there are some great options, good luck and have fun making a decision.

neilbey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'm so deeply engrained into MS services, that I go for the OS that allows me to use those services in a more OS-integrated way, which IOS is not strong on.

Just picked up an LG G6 (good deal) and while I miss the UI of w10m, I am not losing out on the services I am used to using. Cortana needs handsfree though!

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I just grabbed an Ultra cheap G5 to do a "test" migration for a bit. Granted, I hate the round about ways of getting certain things done.

Also, SMS/MMS migration was a PAIN and well.... the built in messaging app shows all my txts but has a strange issue with images, whereas google's messenger displays all images correctly, but has a strange issue with missing sms. between the 2, i have all my old messages from my 950.

Granted, I do like NOT having to use my work iPhone for apps that aren't available on Windows Mobile/Phone

MsftMan

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I wanted a flexible platform that I could tinker with while waiting for the bus. Android fits the bill for me in that regard.
YES! There are a few of us that really enjoy the fast software and OS updates of WP and yes, "tinkering" is one of my joys that I haven't admitted to... until your post! :winktongue:

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I went with Android because of the two, it's closer to Windows Mobile than iOS. My wife has an iPhone and iPad in the house that I use regularly. It's simple and easy to use and works well. But I find it soooo boring. The grid of icons is just that and nothing more. And while Android is also just a grid of icons, for the most part, at least you can bring widgets in to break up the monotony. Plus, with Microsoft Launcher, I can pin contacts to my home screen, etc. I have few icons and mostly widgets (mail, Windows and now Android Central, calendar, podcast player, etc). Plus hardware wise there are more options. I got a used LG G6, basically a new phone (few months old, perfect condition) for $280 vs the high, high price of all of the new phones out there. I wanted the HTC U11, but it won't work fully on Verizon. S8, V30, Pixel 2 were all more than I wanted to spend.

Mike hancock1

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
Every post that I've read here regarding switching platforms and also many of Microsoft important people (Joe Belfiore, Bill Gates, etc.) , mentioned android as their destination.
But why? Why not iOS?

I already have my unlocked moto g5 plus and at the end of the month will leave my 735 behind. I've always liked the phone but really Microsoft left me, not that I'm leaving them. I will admit I'm excited about new apps that will be available.

For the record, I'm on Verizon.

Mike hancock1

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
I already have my unlocked moto g5 plus and will switch at the end of the month. I'm not leaving Microsoft, they left me.
As far as os goes, many more android phones to choose from and way better prices. It's a no brainer.

Mike hancock1

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
I already have my unlocked moto g5 plus and will switch at the end of the month. I'm not leaving Microsoft, they left me.
As far as os goes, many more android phones to choose from and way better prices. It's a no brainer.

D3V011

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
If it was just me involved, I'd go Android, because I'm a tinkerer. I have 3 other people to think about, though, most of whom are definitely not technically inclined. As such, I went with iPhones because they're simpler to use and support.

SkullyHB

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I had an iPhone before I moved to Windows. While I loved Windows 10 Mobile, about a year ago I was fed up with the horrible battery life on my 950 and went back to iPhone because it's what I had before, my girlfriend has iPhone, and I really hate Google.

For the next year, virtually every day I found myself cursing the iPhone because I found something that my Windows phone did better. I finally got fed up again, and switched to Android.

I picked up an LG G6. So far, so good. I Microsoft-ized it as much as possible. Microsoft Launcher, Edge browser as default, Here maps as default, Cortana as default. On iOS you can't set anything as default except for Apple software. The screen dimensions are closer to my 950 than the skinny iPhone. It's speedy and smooth, and so far no complaints. Sure there are things that some platforms do better than others, but overall it's a much better fit for me.

shadow118

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
My 2-year-old Lumia 830 is still doing fine, but when the time comes, I'll probably go for an Android Nokia, if Microsoft hadn't come out with something by then (which I kinda doubt)

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I think the flexibility of Android appeals to the PC user over IOS. As a platform Android offers far more flexibility of hardware and software configurations than Apples alternative, this will surely resonate with Windows fans. There is also the compatibility issue. Android devices are far more Windows friendly than their apple counterparts. I use a Galaxy S8 for work having come from a lumia 950 and the android device has almost immediately become part of my workflow, I also have an iPhone 7 of my own and I get frustrated at the lack of communication between it and my PC.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
But I find it soooo boring. The grid of icons is just that and nothing more. And while Android is also just a grid of icons, for the most part, at least you can bring widgets in to break up the monotony.

I never really understood this argument. I don't think anybody spends their days gazing at their home screen full of icons, and ooh-ing at the pretty animations. Nearly every one I know that uses a smartphone or tablet, uses the OS as a launcher for one app or another and 'lives inside' said app, or switches to another.

It's similar to a Windows desktop: do you just sit and stare at your Windows home screen full of shortcuts and links to programs? You likely spend all of your time either in a browser or an application/program.

cmattau90

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I didn't consider Android. I already had an IPad and literally everyone in my circle has an IPhone. I decided if MS forced me to switch, I would go all in. Next purchase will be an IMac to replace my slow Windows PC. And the fact that Microsoft seems to be going to Android probably means they will lure their users over there and pull the rug out from under them. Actually, Safari on IPhone works better than Edge ever did on WP. I have MS Outlook, Groove and OneDrive, which is decent for pictures. I wish MS would port Photos over. The Apple Mail, Calendar and Contacts apps handle outlook.com real well so I really don't use MS Outlook anymore. By the way I tried to post this in Windows Central App on Windows 10 and it doesn't work again.

Very similar to me. I despise Google and don't want Android at all. I already had an iPad so the move was easy. I use Outlook including mail, calendar, and contacts for my personal email and I use the native Apple mail app for my work email to keep them separate. I sync my contacts and calendar so all my personal stuff is in one place. I use OneDrive, OneNote, and Groove; all my music and photos are saved there and any pics I take with my iPhone are copied to OneDrive. Siri works about as well as Cortana ever did so nothing missing there except the setting to automatically read my SMS when connected over bluetooth. Overall, I'm quite happy.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I think you have to go back and look why you liked Microsoft's OS in the first place. Was it because it made you more productive? Or did you get it just because it was Microsoft and you just like Microsoft's platform. I find that those who wanted just productivity on it, just to go with iPhone/iOS. It's no fuss, supports everything. If you're a Microsoft fan, the type that likes Windows 7, the type that loved Windows XP, and despised Vista and 8, you're better off with Android since that seems to go more along the lines of the "i can customize" part (I liked Vista because it brough the 6.x kernel that 7, 8 and 10 are built on, and I loved 8 for what it did for Windows on tablets (7 on a tablet was just plain horrible, and 10 is just wonky)).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)