Windows phone is done. What's the next daily driver?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Even though windows phone will continue to be usable for a while after these latest announcements, the option of switching to a new phone has never been more realistic. What would your next daily driver phone be? What phone do you think is closest to Microsoft's products/requires the least change to get up and running?

thepragmaticdev

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
As a UWP dev, I'm still publishing apps on Windows mobile. I'll stop when it dies, and Microsoft stops updating. A few devs and I are sticking with the platform. We want enthusiast to tell us what apps they want to see.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
As a UWP dev, I'm still publishing apps on Windows mobile. I'll stop when it dies, and Microsoft stops updating. A few devs and I are sticking with the platform. We want enthusiast to tell us what apps they want to see.

As long as BookViser, Freda and my banking app remain on the platform I have no reason to go anywhere. I would however like to see a Kayako Helpdesk app (the official one was retired), and a Zoho CRM app (no support for WP) and an UpWork app as well. All of that would be great for my work.

I doubt it will ever happen though.

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I think I would still be using the Samsung SCH-i760 running WinMo 6.5 if the phone didn't brick itself. Heck I would be still be on WinPho if the Icon didn't up and do the same thing. I switched to the Galaxy S8+. It is okay and there are things I definitely miss. The bonus here is the Gear Fit Pro2. This is what makes the phone a hell of a lot more tolerable. Yeah there are more apps to chose from and install but there aren't many that I didn't already use/have outside of Amazon music and some financial apps.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Ordered my Pixel 2 XL yesterday. First new phone I've bought in years. Time to settle down and enjoy my decision. It was between the Pixel, V30 and 8+ iPhone. I got the 128 GB model. Fast OS updates and security updates was the final two pieces that made the Pixel the choice.

Ray Picone

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
I have been using a Galaxy S7, more and more, but I still prefer my Lumia 640. It's just easier to make calls and to text on. Also has a better antenna. I have trouble at my job using any apps or trying to email compared to my Windows phone.

One step calling, easy voice messaging or type messaging. Suggests emojis when typing certain words, automatically puts a question mark on sentences when you're dictating by voice. Reads my text messages in the car and let's me reply by voice.

Oh.! Much better battery life!

Actually wrote this on my Galaxy because the app works better.

There are a few advantages on the Galaxy S7. Any app I want is available. It's waterproof!

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I am using my IDOL 4S and will probably keep it for as long as it lasts.

I also am on android using a Nokia 6 which is a snappy phone with stock android and a build quality that is second to none. Very solid device.

If I continue on android it will only be Nokia phones for me. Just wish the new Nokias had all the features of the lumias. Well they do have Zeiss again so there's that...

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by Adventurer64
I'm a long time disgruntled Android user that switched to W10M 8 mths ago and love it. I use an Idol 4s on TMo and Just returned an X3 today due to minor issues with unlocked phones on tmo network and MS / HP bailing. Loved the X3 size and aspect ratio. Shopped around for Android phones today and LG V30 is probably my choice. However, I was reminded why I hated android 8 MThs ago. Bloat, bloat, google services that cant be removed, more bloat, UI inefficiency, too many settings, lack of updates, etc. I'd buy a bloat free X3 running raw android today. Otherwise, it's an LG V30 when price drops as LG always does several MThs after launch. I'd love a Live tile custom ROM for android.

Launcher 10 is the UI solution you seek as you return to android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans