Comparo Request from a Windows Phone user perspective: S8+ vs LG V30?

Husky44

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm starting to prepare for plan B. Moving from my 950 to another platform. iOS is not the answer. I've been researching Android phones, and for now have narrowed it to the Samsung S8+ or the LG V30. I'm not ready to give up my headphone jack, so Pixel2 isn't in the game. Essential might be, but concerned that the camera doesn't get the job done. I'm not a photo geek, I want simple to use point-and-shoot that takes pics that make me look like a photo geek.

So, I'm looking for expert opinions from people who know and aren't biased against W10 phone, on these two android options.

I'm looking for the Android phone that I can most completely replicate my Lumia 950 experience: Bing, Cortana, Groove (although that looks like it's headed south too), full Office suite, OneNote, OneDrive for my cloud storage (seamless), Outlook AS my contacts/calendar (not "synced with"), Edge. Oh, and a headphone jack and wireless charging.

jtwoodfield

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I have just gone through the same exercise. Both are obviously excellent products. At the end of the day, and I agonized, I went for the LG V30.

The factors that weighed with me were:

1 I did not like the Samsung headphone jack being on the bottom. Phone upside down in pocket?
2. Larger screen on V30 yet much the same size
3. Was not keen on the tall and narrow Samsung screen shape
4. Am unconvinced about the practicality of the Samsung screen curving over the edges
5. There is an appeal in not joining the masses and buying Samsung
6. The S9 is about to come out
7. The V30 was cheaper and the rumour is that the software will be upgraded rather than the hardware replaced

Another might come to the contrary view and be equally right and happy.

Actually, if Sony had offered QI wireless charging I probably would have opted for that.

Husky44

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I have just gone through the same exercise. Both are obviously excellent products. At the end of the day, and I agonized, I went for the LG V30.

The factors that weighed with me were:

1 I did not like the Samsung headphone jack being on the bottom. Phone upside down in pocket?
2. Larger screen on V30 yet much the same size
3. Was not keen on the tall and narrow Samsung screen shape
4. Am unconvinced about the practicality of the Samsung screen curving over the edges
5. There is an appeal in not joining the masses and buying Samsung
6. The S9 is about to come out
7. The V30 was cheaper and the rumour is that the software will be upgraded rather than the hardware replaced

Another might come to the contrary view and be equally right and happy.

Actually, if Sony had offered QI wireless charging I probably would have opted for that.

I should have updated this thread. I went with the LG also, for many of the same reasons you cited. It's funny you mentioned wireless charging - it's not as big of a deal for me as I thought. I routinely hit bedtime at 11 pm with 20% or more battery remaining, after unplugging when I wake up at 5:30 am. With this kind of battery life, wireless charging isn't that important.

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Short version:

Samsung has more bloatware and more frequent OS updates.

LG has less bloatware and less frequent OS updates.

Probably should take a look at some Sony devices, they make an excellent bloatware free android phone with frequent OS updates.

Blackberry's if you want a keyboard or are security conscious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo