Solution needed to getting windows phone to connect to VPN router

GKL50

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Okay, first let me say any ideas are appreciated, but from my research so far the solution I need might be a real challenge for anyone, even the very tech savvy !

Let me first tell you what I am trying to do and the equipment I am trying to do it with.

All I want to do is to have just one ip network security camera on my home LAN that we can view remotely with our windows phones when we are away from our home WIFI and need to use our data plan.** Sounds simple right ?, but further down you'll see what obstacles I am running into !

Here is*our equipment:

Windows Phones:* Nokia Lumia 1520 and Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE (both running Windows mobile 8.1)

VPN* Router:* ASUS RT-ACRH13* https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-ACRH13/specifications/

IP Camera:* HIKVISION DS-2CD2342WD-I** DS-2CD2342WD-I-Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.

The easy and simple solution would be if there was a windows phone client for OpenVPN but as far as I know there is not any yet.

Now (unless I'm mistaken) I'm finding out the windows phones vpn option "L2TP over IPsec" requires the vpn router to have a "L2TP over IPsec" server and it seems consumer class vpn routers only have OpenVPN servers which windows phones can't connect to and the business class vpn routers that do have a "L2TP over IPsec" server are way too expensive (over $200 and up) for the average home user on a budget and especially for me being retired on social security.

I have been asking for help on an ip camera forum but so far the only safe solutions offered were switching to android phones (not an option as our windows phones are fairly new) or getting a very expensive business class router, also not an option being on a budget on social security.

The other options that would work other than what I just mentioned were said to be very unsafe security-wise, and that is either port forwarding or using Hikvision P2P camera viewing service.

I'm somewhat tech savvy in general, but ip cameras and VPN is a new area for me and I'm quickly finding out the tech industry does not make it easy when it comes to compatibility options with windows phones.

It would be very much appreciated if any network savvy techs could look at my router specs at the link above and offer any other solution for having a working VPN connection to our Windows phones so we can remotely view our security camera thru data when we are away from our home WIFI.

Thanks !

Gary

GKL50

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss