Soooo, about that Razer Phone ...

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Razer made its first phone, called simply Razer Phone, available this week, as you likely know. It's impressive for a number of reasons, and it's made by a well known brand in the world o' Windows. But ... it runs Android.

It seems to be aimed at gamers, and most of its best features reflect that. But it also looks like a great all-around Android smartphone.

What say you? Are you intrigued? Or is it just another Android phone — and maybe more importantly, NOT a Windows phone.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Specs wise, it's a very interesting phone. I'm not a gamer at all but it seems like it has the potential to be a great phone, without the headphone jack sadly.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What say you? Are you intrigued? Or is it just another Android phone — and maybe more importantly, NOT a Windows phone.

It doesn't have to be a Windows Phone to intrigue me, but Android is really just meh to me. Rather than chase spec, I'd rather find a better UX than that which Android or iOS offer. Windows Phone used to do that, although it is obvious they no longer care to try and whatever hinky gimmick they think they are cooking up behind the scenes is likely going to fall flat on its face. Before that webOS was the cat's meow until the Apothokerlypse. In between webOS and WP I dabbled a bit with Ubuntu (which started out with promise and then fizzed out of existence), Sailfish OS and Firefox OS (which is dull, dull, dull).

iOS bores me to tears. I feel like it believes I'm dumb and it wants to condescend to me. And not just the OS, the whole iCulture. I think there is a fair bit of gullibility needed to buy into the overpriced, overhyped, "ooooo look at me I have an iSore." Sure they are successful. Good on them. I still believe though that all those people are falling for a P.T. Barnum pitch. "Magical Courage" my fat hairy behind.

I realized long ago I like flashing and customizing on Android waaaay more than I actually like Android. And the last couple of years Google/Alphabet has gotten really mean and stingy. I hate feeling like I'm their data mine that they believe they have an inalienable right to exploit. They used to be like brah dudes. Now they're all pony-up your dough suits. And the sanctimonious belief that they know better than I what I should be able to see (re: YouTube adpocolypse and shadowbanning) strikes me as extra hypocritical given the fact that they actively try and capture whatever I look at so as to advance their marketing schtick.

I'm not a gamer, so throw out that gimmick from the Razer. I'm finding myself on a lower plateau for spec than the gee-wiz latest flags are touting anyhow.

I'll gladly sacrifice some spec off the top end for a UI that does what I want it to do (surface my information quickly and easily) rather than an OS that forces me to behave how it wants.

Sailfish is making another run at being something people will be able to use as an alternative. I'd rather back another dark horse than fall for the complacency that iOS and Android are all we are allowed to have.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I gotta say that I am kind of interested in it. I'm not the target gamer they're aiming for, but I game enough to know a bit about Razer and appreciate the screen tech they are putting into that phone. I understand RumoredNow's standpoint, and agree with it for the most part, but I think I'll try to pick one of these up once the price drops. I am about to dabble in the Essential Phone for a week or two. If that turns out to be a dud, the Razer Phone might be my next try.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
What was the price on the Razer?...6-700 USD.
Little over the top for a redesigned Nextbit IMO.

Whaddoo I know tho...

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
What was the price on the Razer?...6-700 USD.
Little over the top for a redesigned Nextbit IMO.

Whaddoo I know tho...
Yeah. Out of the gate, it's way overpriced. So was the Essential. I'll wait for reviews and a price drop on the Razer. Plus, I'll have to wait until my wife lets me out of the doghouse for my Essential Phone purchase. Ha ha

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The 120hz refresh rate is slick, 4000mAh, and the recoded Sony overlay engine under the hood for theming is neat. But I am with @RumoredNow. Android makers have some killer designs in HW and killer ideas to run with but the UI of the OS itself does not really jive with me. It never did. I am a minimalist for lack of better words. If I got one, it would most likely be to test drive it for a week to see what it has and then resell it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Curious. Why did you sell it? I was wanting to get a smaller device with stock Android, but didn't want to pay $1000. Was really hoping the EP would fit the bill. Were you having problems with yours?

No, I was planning to keep it, but I recently traded in some others for bestbuy gift cards, and ended up getting the V30 too. So I needed to dump one or the other. Ironically the Essential sold first. I might sell the V30 too, but at the moment stil have it.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
No, I was planning to keep it, but I recently traded in some others for bestbuy gift cards, and ended up getting the V30 too. So I needed to dump one or the other. Ironically the Essential sold first. I might sell the V30 too, but at the moment stil have it.
Ok. You had me scared for a minute. Ha ha

Richard Devine

Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I also have the feeling it will flop and be discontinued exactly like the Nextbit Robin.

The Nextbit Robin was discontinued because Razer acquired the company. Sure it didn't sell in massive volumes but Razer wasn't going to keep selling it when it had its own phone plans.

Your definition of flop and Razer's will be two different things. People are looking at this as they're here to topple the big dogs. Razer does a Razer thing and I'm pretty sure they'll be happy with the result for a first-gen product.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
From my perspective The Razer phone has not done anything that has already been done.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the Razer phone needs it's own design versus looking like the Nextbit.
I say bigger screen tiny to no bezels.
Maybe even a step out design and have sound fire thru the glass front via tiny openings or something.

The thing looks like a Sony phone frankly.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Maybe the Razer phone needs it's own design versus looking like the Nextbit.
I say bigger screen tiny to no bezels.
Maybe even a step out design and have sound fire thru the glass front via tiny openings or something.

The thing looks like a Sony phone frankly.

Ya, looks are overrated in some ways. Maybe that is just me. To a certain crowd the looks are everything. Bezels or no bezels, the refresh rate selector is probably the only thing I have not seen before that a gamer could use. Yet sharp had a 120hz phone out already, just not a soc 835 one. What the device can do imo is what makers will need to start focusing on more.

N8tiveT3ch

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
It looks fine but...no headphone jack is a major buzz kill for me. I alrighty got a LGv30 and the experience ok not mind blowing but ok.

William Tadekawa

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something, but can somebody explain to me exactly what's so innovative about this phone and why I see so much hype around it on the internet? The design is basically the nextbit robin, which is famous for having the most pathetic build quality of all time, and I personally never thought it looked nice with its giant bezels and basic rectangular shape. I heard the stereo speakers are better than any other smartphone though, which is nice. But 8GB of RAM is already found on the Oneplus 5 and a couple other phones, and 120Hz display is already found on the Sharp Aquos R (which I've seen around me since I live in Japan). The camera just seems decent from what I saw, so I don't see anything exciting about it.
Edit: And of course I forgot to mention the fact that it has no headphone jack, but I think everybody knows that by now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077