Snap(chat) stock is going down-- and this WP fan couldn't be happier

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
My take on that though is that those brands (I'm too young to know about Pan Am or Eastern) had a fairly slow descent beforehand, and I think we could expect a fate like that for Snap when its userbase falls by a ridiculous amount like sales for Plymouth in its twilight years I hear. Otherwise, I'm going to expect an acquisition at the worst because there's a lot of potential (or at least appears to be) there that people are gonna want to try to tap into.

Olds and Pontiac were victims of the GM bailout along with Saturn, SAAB and Hummer. Pan Am never recovered from the Lockerbie Disaster (Flight 103) and Eastern was killed by a massive strike (labor). They all went down fairly quickly except for Plymouth. The point is that even iconic brands go down and there’s no such thing as “too big to fail”.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
So this is what it's come to... A company isn't doing well (yeah the guy is a jerk) but now we're supposed to cheer because he disliked MS? A large company that has completely abandoned it's user base... yeah that make sense.

This is how personal people take this stuff. You’d think we were talking about someone’s kid but, no, it’s a cell phone. So we cheer for their downfall. I guess that’s all some people have.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Arrogance becomes a lot of people's downfall.

Spiegal was measured with his announcements about instagram copying some features, but when his now wife spoke about it, it's clear that underneath, he was seething, as she wasn't holding back. Would have been nice to have been a fly on the wall with the conversations they must have had...

I think the main problem snapchat has with its exclusivity is it hasn't learnt that the users aren't the customers, rather the product. That's why a company such as facebook or google more or less make sure their products are platform agnostic and accessible from anything because they live and die by having the users. Once they go, they no longer have a product to sell.

Bottom line is, we'll see where this goes.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
But you really can't blame him can you? Think is they spent all that money to support an OS going no where. The state of WP is proof he was right.

Thing is, it's a chicken and egg situation. A lot of young people actively avoided WP because it didn't have snapchat. Were it there, would the platform have failed?

Now I'm not saying that WP pivoted completely on snapchat, but to say he was right isn't the whole story, and I think it's more a case of, he didn't support the platform because he wanted it to fail not because he thought it would.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Do we really give a hairy rat's a$$ what happens to Snapchat or its owners? It's not like any of us are in his will or get alimony from him. Live and let live.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thing is, it's a chicken and egg situation. A lot of young people actively avoided WP because it didn't have snapchat. Were it there, would the platform have failed?

Now I'm not saying that WP pivoted completely on snapchat, but to say he was right isn't the whole story, and I think it's more a case of, he didn't support the platform because he wanted it to fail not because he thought it would.

If the likes of Snapchat didn’t kill third party apps that actually got them more users, WP would have survived. Many banks had also joined WP. It was this and freaking Pokemon Go that highlighted the app gap more than it was needed.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If the likes of Snapchat didn’t kill third party apps that actually got them more users, WP would have survived. Many banks had also joined WP. It was this and freaking Pokemon Go that highlighted the app gap more than it was needed.

Maybe with the kids but Google’s willful refusal to play nice had a greater effect on WP’s demise from an app perspective.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Do we really give a hairy rat's a$$ what happens to Snapchat or its owners? It's not like any of us are in his will or get alimony from him. Live and let live.

As arrogant and self centered as he is, I'm pretty sure he's leaving everything to himself.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

I could care less also.
How can people who who don't know each other personally derive so much disdain for some action that really has minimal effect on so few.
I haven't given Snapchat a second thought until this thread appeared.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
The same could have been said about Myspace. But, for all practical purposes, it died.
MySpace was popular before Smart phones became so prevalent. Snapchat is made for smart phones and without doing the research taking a stab at it and say has probably 30 times the user base.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
MySpace was popular before Smart phones became so prevalent. Snapchat is made for smart phones and without doing the research taking a stab at it and say has probably 30 times the user base.

Your stats are way off, but even if they were it doesn't change my point: Nothing is too big to fail. Nothing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss