Soo... About those Android Launchers

Durahl

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
How exactly do they work and is every recently or coming Android Phone supposed to be customizable with them? For example the recently released Razer Phone.

At one time or another I might feel like switching from W10M to Android but old habits die hard and I'd like to get as close to W10M as possible which would require a Launcher like the Microsoft one - Being unfamiliar with Android though raised the question if every Android Phone is supposed to work with it?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
How exactly do they work and is every recently or coming Android Phone supposed to be customizable with them? For example the recently released Razer Phone.

At one time or another I might feel like switching from W10M to Android but old habits die hard and I'd like to get as close to W10M as possible which would require a Launcher like the Microsoft one - Being unfamiliar with Android though raised the question if every Android Phone is supposed to work with it?

Launchers generally work with every Android phone, as long as your phone has a supported version. The Razer Phone is different because it has a built in launcher that you would have to pay for otherwise.

Whatever launcher you choose should be able to work just fine. Launchers are essentially a way to make your home screen look any way you want it to look.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Some launchers will work better than others as far as being compatible with different phones. It's very easy to test. Just download them from G play and give them a go. I personally wouldn't try getting a launcher to mimic live tiles. They typically all have flaws as far as getting live info. I personally really like the Microsoft launcher. You can set it up to have the apps in a vertical format like Win phone and it sets the apps up to be able to search alphabetically which I really like. I personally suggest to try them all and find one you like. It's very easy to uninstall them so try as many as you wish until you find the one you want.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Some launchers will work better than others as far as being compatible with different phones. It's very easy to test. Just download them from G play and give them a go. I personally wouldn't try getting a launcher to mimic live tiles. They typically all have flaws as far as getting live info. I personally really like the Microsoft launcher. You can set it up to have the apps in a vertical format like Win phone and it sets the apps up to be able to search alphabetically which I really like. I personally suggest to try them all and find one you like. It's very easy to uninstall them so try as many as you wish until you find the one you want.

I find that the paid version of Launcher10 gives you very good live tile integration for the tiles that support it, but more tiles do give live notification via the tile than what the maker says is supported. Even tiles like play store, play music and a lot more support this feature already. I just love Launcher 10 on my note 8 and actually runs better and smoother than my Windows phone runs.

dlchome

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been using SquareHome2 ever since I switched to Android (HTC U11) from my Windows Mobile 950xl. It has made all the difference. I tried the standard launcher and the Microsoft launcher. Didn't really like them. But I do like SquareHome2. I'm using the paid version of it.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't see the point of MS making one of these. It is looking like 2018 will see the launch of the Surface not-Phone and once that's happened what will be the point of trying to make Android devices look like Windows? May as well run the real thing.

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I'm enjoying the Microsoft Launcher on my S8, but really anything is better than Samsung's TouchWiz.

Just a reality check though... while the Microsoft Launcher integrates well with W10 PCs, is nothing like Windows mobile. You can get a launcher that mimics the look, but they're poorly developed.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
When I first moved to android, I initially used the Microsoft Launcher. But a couple weeks ago, like @dlchome, I now use Squarehome 2. It doesn't have all the functionality of REAL live tiles, but I don't think any launcher can fully duplicate the beautiful Live Tiles of Winbdows. But Squarehome 2 sure makes the phone FEEL and look more familiar. Because honestly, icons look so ARCHAIC to me now, like I'm computing like a cave man.

Also, if you combine Squarehome 2 with the Whicons Icon pack, you can get a beautiful, flat interface that looks so familiar to use WP guys.

This is what my Android home screen looks like:
Screenshot_20171120-130632.png

And, just like Windows Phone, the home screen scrolls vertically, so you can have a ton of tiles that you scroll vertically through. This is my next page of tiles below:
Screenshot_20171120-130648.png

in addition, Squarehome 2 paid lets you set a whole bunch of gestures, of which I used in order to swipe from right to left to get the app list, just like on Windows Phone.

It does allow you to set tap and long tap actions for each tile too, so you can actually have two different actions for each tile. For example, I have a tile for my wife. One tap launches an SMS message to her, a long tap directly dials her. For WhatsApp, I have one tap launch directly into my most busy chatroom, and a long tap opens the app to the default main screen.

This has made Android bearable. Because honestly, I find there is absolutely nothing interesting or inspiring about the OS. It functions, but that's about it. Boring as hell. Widgets are fugly with no consistency in design, typography, or readability. Customization is it's saving grace.

The Microsoft Launcher isn't bad, I just found it hardly does anything different than stock android.

MullenWP

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I got Razer phone this weekend and installed Microsoft launcher as well. Now I have each other launcher's icon on home screen so I could freely switch.
Is the experience more similar to W10M? No way. It's still Android from any aspects. I can't see anything from W10M frankly speaking.
What's special for Microsoft launcher? So far I think one is that you get download shortcuts for Microsoft apps, and another is the -1 page that customized by Microsoft. Maybe there are something else, and I'm just a new user that has not discovered yet.

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

None of my friend and cousin(s) find this(MS launcher) useful.

Most of them are still like Nova Launcher as third party home screen app if they don't like the stock home screen app.

Last edited:

N8tiveT3ch

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I've tried Microsoft Launcher and while I like some things there are others I don't. I don't like that there are two places to manage the system settings. I'm fine with swiping down from the top anyways. Another thing that I hate is my phone supports double tab to sleep and wake. When I have the launcher installed I have to choose either double tap or finger print sensor and cannot have both. I just keep with the default that came with the phone which is basic but gets the job done.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft Launcher is already quite customizable. I don't understand why they can't go the extra mile and support a windows phone experience on android with actual working live tiles on android. I think it would only be in Microsoft's and its customers benefit to collaborate closely and find a way to integrate and advance Square2Home launcher with Microsoft Launcher. As a windows phone user I would certainly like to see that happen, perhaps even add a bit of cshell to the android launcher to make the transition to android better. Microsoft, I think, has nothing to lose at this point for doing this. All else considered the rest is android anyway, with all its benefits. Win-win in my view.

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
I've been using it, and, meh! It's just not Windows. I just received my new 950 yesterday, been updating and customising just like a WM can - brilliant. Great partner to my X3 etc. Stuff Android and the fake WM shell . My wife is getting the iPhone X, but will still keep and loves her 950xl. She feels sad and doesn't understand (not having my tech knowledge or interest) why WM wasn't continued.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
None of my friend and cousin(s) find this useful.

Most of them are still like Nova Launcher as third party home screen app if they don't like the stock home screen app.
I've been using Nova Launcher Prime on all my Android devices, ever since I started using Android.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
When it comes to Android launchers Nova Prime really is the best.
I've tried several others and finally realized nothing else can beat it.

anon(10324754)

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
Have tried the launcher for a few months. Don't see what is so good about it. It has a nice screen when swiping to right but the normal home screen is just useless. Can't pin any decent widgets to it that I can see. And the ones I have tried to add are forgotten about when the phone is switched off and on.

justmoe40

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
i dislike almost every launcher. I like simplicity. i like quickest way to all my apps. Nokia Z Launcher does that and more. MS launcher looks like the rest to me.

anon(10324754)

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
I've been using it, and, meh! It's just not Windows. I just received my new 950 yesterday, been updating and customising just like a WM can - brilliant. Great partner to my X3 etc. Stuff Android and the fake WM shell . My wife is getting the iPhone X, but will still keep and loves her 950xl. She feels sad and doesn't understand (not having my tech knowledge or interest) why WM wasn't continued.

I bought another 950 this week too. I refreshed my old one to update to the latest build and its running like a demon.

petroll

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey there, check out my favorite launcher, Evie. It's more simple than MS Launcher but still feature packed with a unique universal search feature. . It's more fluid and fast, and when paired with the free Pixel Icon Pack, it's amazing. Hit the home button and you can search for anything including apps. It's how I launch apps most of the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo