Hardware and Software Projections and Wishlist, what do you think, or want in the future?

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I thought this would be a fun little thread idea. Where do we see technology heading, or hope to see it heading?

For me, I would like to see this idea of a computer core that goes in our pocket become a reality. Starting with simple functionality of a system that can operate independently as a phone/mini-tablet but being modular in nature, so that depending on the hardware we dock it to it can become more. Changing from this to a full real laptop, or to a full on gaming monster or graphic/3d design beast. Each unit being capable of integrating and utilizing setups containing things like other processors and Customizable SLI gaming mainboards, or a plethora of other accessories making our personal computer able to go anywhere with us while maintaining at least a basic level of functionality on their own while on the go. That's where I would like to see things end up.

What about you guys? Wishlist anyone?

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, I am using my Acer W4 for almost everything. The 8" tablet form factor is ideal for. E, striking the best compromise between battery life, portability, and screen size. I find that with anything bigger, I would just as soon use a laptop with a large screen and physical keyboard and that the screens on phablet phones are still too small.

I would love to see an updated version of this tablet someday, the Windows 10 equivalent of an iPad mini but I doubt that I will.

WPuser2012

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
1) Surface phone
2) More apps on XBOX one

I thought this would be a fun little thread idea. Where do we see technology heading, or hope to see it heading?

For me, I would like to see this idea of a computer core that goes in our pocket become a reality. Starting with simple functionality of a system that can operate independently as a phone/mini-tablet but being modular in nature, so that depending on the hardware we dock it to it can become more. Changing from this to a full real laptop, or to a full on gaming monster or graphic/3d design beast. Each unit being capable of integrating and utilizing setups containing things like other processors and Customizable SLI gaming mainboards, or a plethora of other accessories making our personal computer able to go anywhere with us while maintaining at least a basic level of functionality on their own while on the go. That's where I would like to see things end up.

What about you guys? Wishlist anyone?

LIEBER

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Assuming there will be a foldable Surface device... what battery life to expect? The three announced 2-1 one ARM based Windows 10 machines (HP, Asus, Lenovo) seem to have a battery life of 20+ hours. A pocketable machine will probably have much smaller battery --> either shorter battery life or slower performance, or both.

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I am using my Acer W4 for almost everything. The 8" tablet form factor is ideal for. E, striking the best compromise between battery life, portability, and screen size. I find that with anything bigger, I would just as soon use a laptop with a large screen and physical keyboard and that the screens on phablet phones are still too small.

I would love to see an updated version of this tablet someday, the Windows 10 equivalent of an iPad mini but I doubt that I will.

Sounds like a foldable 5"->8" device could be perfect for you.

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Assuming there will be a foldable Surface device... what battery life to expect? The three announced 2-1 one ARM based Windows 10 machines (HP, Asus, Lenovo) seem to have a battery life of 20+ hours. A pocketable machine will probably have much smaller battery --> either shorter battery life or slower performance, or both.

Also smaller screen, BTW why compare device with different OS? If a mobile device is released they won't put a desktop OS on it.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
A new CEO. At this point I would be fine with a Cortana powered device taking the place of the current person (whose name I refuse to mention)

Other than that, I want to see the new Surface device that isn't intended for me. Should be at the least, very interesting. Still wish they would have just made A Surface Phone like the mock up a we saw for a couple years.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I wish I wish we would get a surface laptop with a Yoga hinge and TB3 support. The Surface Laptop would have been near-perfect if not for the missing tablet mode.

I wouldn't mind some non-dorky looking VR goggles with 180deg FOV..

And dang it, if they come out with a sleek Surface Phone with TB3 support I might even fall for that.

Roman DeSilva

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
As far as software goes, I just want the SAME apps Microsoft puts on other platforms with all the same features. See add-ins for Skype. See the pix app. The outlook app from Android instead of the mail app in windows. The list goes on. OS wise, please bring ALL the features from Windows mobile to windows 10. Folders that are live and can be labeled. Custom notification sounds. Again, the list goes on. If they can also allow windows mobile apps to run on windows, that's be great. Hardware wise, Surface Phone. Nuff said. At this point, I just wish they'd take Cortana seriously. Since Nadella has taken over, I can't say I've been a fan.

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
1) Surface phone
2) More apps on XBOX one

This + more cortana skills to make the invoke and other cortana speakers / hardware a viable home automation competitor!

-xbox skill (use invoke to replace kinect speaker for xbox one)
-harmony hub skill
-ecobee skill

13paul13

Dec 3, 2017
Visit site
Microsoft to better test / provide better quality with app updates to ensure they're working properly. I'm not on any Insider builds on my Surface Pro 4, but some of Microsoft's own apps are currently not working or functioning.

1. Mail - this has not synced for 4 days now. I only have 1 Outlook and 1 Hotmail account added to the app, both set to sync items as they arrive. But this isn't happening, and even attempting a manual sync doesn't work - it just forever shows the sync dots (for want of a better word for them!) going across the screen.
  2. Weather - the app is stuck on the Splash screen. The live tile is updating, but the app just won't open. (Resetting the app has not resolved the issue.)

Going back to the Mail app, over the past year there have been numerous updates to it which have constantly 'broken' one aspect or other of it - i.e. badge notification on the Mail app icon on the taskbar not disappearing, unread mail counter within the app not going down when an email has been read and live tile not updating to name a few (all at different times). These are fixed in a newer app update, but then another update comes out which breaks something else. When the app is finally working as it should, I dread getting an update to it as I fear that something will 'break'.

In my opinion, these issues should not be making it to a production build - app updates are first rolled out to those on the Insider builds I understand and so this should be picked up at that stage, and fixed prior to updating the app to those on non-Insider builds. It is just not a good customer experience.

Maybe Microsoft can also fix the "plugged in, not charging" issue I have since updating to the Fall Creators Update. The reason I've connected the charger is because the device is low on battery and needs charging..!! Why don't you charge it?! I sometimes have to take the charger out and reinsert 3 or 4 times before it then decides to charge the battery.

I file Feedback for issues, but frankly feel like I waste my time in doing so.

Microsoft really need to up their game in a testing/quality standpoint. If ever this foldable Andromeda device becomes a reality, it's very unlikely to be cheap and those on non-Insider builds on those devices will be expecting app to be reliable and to work all the time for the money they'll be paying for the device - not be broken and fixed days later in a future update and then broken again, etc.

sniperboywc

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm not wishing for much because I know Microsoft takes away more than it ever gives. Anyway, I just want flight stick support on the Xbox One. The PS4 has supported flights for a long time but Microsoft just ignores it.

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
As far as batteries go, I know there have been some advancement lately with graphene that supposed to make batteries not only last longer but also charge much much faster. My Elite x3 already has surprisingly good battery life. I expect new batteries to last much longer especially with the hardware advancements of late consuming less power by themselves. I guess we will just have to see who is actually taking advantage of these things.

macgyverated

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Call me crazy, but I'm still a fan of the smaller 8 inch tablets. I'm an IT manager, and while I have a full-tilt monster desktop at my disposal, when I'm roaming our 50,000 square foot facility, even my Lenovo Miix 510 Surface clone seems too big to lug around for simple tasks. I have a Nuvision 8" 1920x1200 Atom-powered tablet that works just fine for remoting into other machines, checking network stats and my helpdesk software, etc.
Also, working in IT, that last thing I want in my home is some smart speaker literally listening to everything that gets said in the house so that it can decide whether or not I'm talking to it. I bought an Invoke, on sale, and intended to just use it as a Bluetooth speaker only, because the sound quality really is terrific. I found you MUST set it up through Cortana and link it up to your MS account BEFORE it will allow you to pair it through Bluetooth to your phone or other device. Frustrating... I worked around it by temporarily changing my Wi-Fi password and using that to allow it to do its initial set-up and allowing me to pair via BT, then changing the password back so that it has no connection to my network.
As far as other things I'm hoping to see... The Courier, of course :)

jbrown9100

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see Microsoft commit to something in the consumer space and stick to it. I love the idea of Cortana but as an, optimistic owner of two Harmon Kardon Invoke speakers, I'm concerned the pace of Cortana's skills growth indicates that Microsoft is not committed to making it a first class user interface now that Windows Phone is dead.

Dave Liao

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
On my wish list on the Windows front? A ThinkPad 25 (either secondhand or whatever they refresh it to this year). That keyboard.

silvertonesx24

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I want to see Cortana integration for custom macros. The only thing I do with Cortana is ask the weather. If I could create macros and tell them to execute some things in my life would become so much more convenient and the power of voice assist would just open up so much.

I know this isn't going to come from Microsoft but at least open up the power for third party developers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb