Alternative uses for the HP Elite x3 Lap Dock?

madapplepi

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I've invested in a Lap Dock to use it as a companion to my Lumia 950, and now, seeing how Continuum and Windows Mobile has reached it's point of obsolescence, I need to find out whether there is alternative use for it. I put it up for sale, but I honestly don't think anyone would buy it, all things considered.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
can you use it as external monitor for pc or laptop?
does it work with pc stick?
can it charge any phone through its battery?

madapplepi

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
can you use it as external monitor for pc or laptop?
Yes, you can, however some shortcuts and keys don't seem to not respond and the trackpad goes completely useless. It also requires a bluetooth/wireless connection, as the included micro-hdm port is only for output. Also it wouldn't work with anything that doesn't use the standard Windows screen casting.

does it work with pc stick?
To my knowledge and understanding, unless there's a USB stick that uses a non-thunderbolt USB-C connector, then no.

can it charge any phone through its battery?
I would say yes, but it would require a usb-to-whatever dongle/cable to do that.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Should work with any device that has Miracast.

The touchpad doesn't work but the keyboard works fine.

The power out should just be a standard 5V 2A output so you should be able to use it just like any battery pack.

Some devices do support the USB-C out and these should work fine. But there's not many (I've heard of it, it was added to the Windows Connect app some time ago, but the only device I know that uses it IS the x3).

redwhiteipa

Mar 16, 2019
Visit site
To anyone that i still curious about this dock. I can confirm that you can use it as a dummy terminal to a desktop. I bought a $60 pcie card that takes in a display port signal and outputs a usb-c alt mode.

The keyboard and mouse works as expected. I have the dock plugged in with power and the usbc for the phone port.

You have to have a Displayport out somewhere. I am using a port from my GTX 1080.

Here is the card
https://www.amazon.com/SUNIX-USB-C-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3776917

I hope someone makes the pcie card into a usb device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett