Who is still using a Windows Phone? Honest Question.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using my 950XL. Just yesterday I moved my son from his (my old) 1520 to an S7. I put on the Microsoft launcher and the phone works quite nicely. I had already moved my wife to an S8 middle of last year. I'll keep using my 950XL until it no longer works properly or I need something it doesn't do. I don't change my phones simply because a new one comes out. Why spend the money? Once my phone is done I'll most likely be on Android. It's not a philosophical thing for me. I use my hardware until it's done and then I take a look at what's available and decide from there. The 1520 is still a beautiful phone. I had the yellow one. Unfortunately when the time comes there will not likely be a Windows device to even consider.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I switched to a Moto G5+ back in November. Been using it as my daily driver. While it's nice having all the apps and being able to use Waze on my F-150's Sync3 Screen via Android Auto, Android in general just sucks. There's way too many things I can snipe about here, but all the little things just add up to a frustrating experience. I mainly switched because there were some apps I wanted to use, plus Waze stopped functioning on my 950XL, and Wells Fargo dropped bank support. The other thing was having the fingerprint reader on my Moto is nice and convenient. I wish the 950XL had one. But the experience still sucks. From settings being scattered around and in odd places, to the notifications shade being a mess (I have my 950XL powered on and check my email notifications there as I seem to miss a lot on the Moto), Android Auto being slow and clunky, the phone slowing down at times despite good hardware, the whole icon versus Live tile thing, no voice text reading/responding without Android Auto (and then it's sluggish), and a number of other things, Android is just a daily pain in the butt. Now, my Moto G5+ does have excellent battery life, but my 950XL isn't bad and could easily last through the day. Overall, I'm more pissed off at Nadella now than I was before I switched, because I can fully see just what I've been forced into (and don't let me get started on iOS and the expensive phones that run it).

I really don't understand why we are even in this boat considering how much better the WP experience generally is. I have to say that all those developers who shunned Windows Phone back when they were in the 60 million+ user range, really need to kiss my posterior. Windows Phone is just a much more enjoyable user experience. I still think about switching back to using it as my daily driver and using the Moto just for those apps. If MS was able to have a Car Play/Android Auto type experience for cars where I could use the Windows 10 Maps app on my truck's screen, I'd probably switch back and just keep the Moto around for those apps. For now, I'll continue to use the Moto has my daily until MS reveals their next device and we see if some traction finally occurs, or until I just can't take Android anymore. Personally, I think they could have easily done a whole lot better if they simply had lots of TV ads showing the difference in the user interfaces and how easy and enjoyable WP was/is to use. Most people just don't know.

WinOMG

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1020 that I leave sitting around promising myself that I will actually use it...but never do. It's such a nice phone I won't take it anywhere.

LeopardSeal

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm still using my 950 XL for daily use. Why? Because it works fine for everything I need a cell phone for and it's paid for. I also use a 650 as a music player.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
With a new battery my 2-year-old 950 works better than when it was new, still looks like new, and does everything I need a phone to do. I have no reason to replace it. I hope that when I finally do have that need that there's something actually better to replace it with, not a lateral move to an iOS or Android phone.

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I still use my 950, and my mom still uses her 650. Until they break, I see no need to switch. I have an android tablet, and don't have any apps on there that I *need* on my phone, so the "app gap" really doesn't affect me.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Wow, Zac Bowden, way to alienate readers with the insults in your article [http://windowscentral.com/chime-are-you-still-using-windows-phone-if-yes-why]. Us "crazies" and "normies" have better things to spend our hard-earned cash on than to replace perfectly functional, 100% paid for phones that do what we need them to do for the time being. Crazy would be me blowing $1000-2000+ on new phones for the family. Articles like yours are one more reason for me to not bother visiting the site, but maybe once a month anymore.

Stan Nadella

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
950XL is still working fine. I still have BankofAmerica and the apps I need. Switching to Surface (not a phone) with SIM and cshell when it becomes available.

toshdellapenna

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Reading and writing this post from my HP Lapdock that I just bought along with my Elite x3 at the end of last month. The story I always tell is about how my journey with mobile (not cell phones) began in 2003 when I discovered, and ultimately purchased a Dell Axim x5. This was also around the same time that I was getting into computers and enterprise tech as I had also grown tired of consumer tech (there wasn't much to get excited about back then). That Dell wasn't a phone edition Pocket Pc, so I did have to carry a separate phone, but the follow up device to that was a Palm Treo 700w. I always preferred the Pocket PC devices since those had the touch screens. This is where my consolidation of devices began.

When the shift from Windows Mobile 6.5 to Windows Phone 7 occurred I was about to bail like everyone else and head to Android land. I did actually load Android onto a spare Winmo device to play around with while getting accustomed to my shiny new Samsung Focus. Sadly Android reminded me too much of Linux, of which I wasn't that big of a fan, and I decided to further entrench myself into Microsoft's ecosystem where I remain fully to this day.

So here I am entering my 15th year of purely using Windows on mobile and we are ever closer to the dream of a true portable Windows based Pocket PC I will continue to slug it out as we await Andromeda...

Last edited:

Paul Mariotti

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I use my 950XL as it's my phone, I have a worked supplied Samsung and hate it.

My wife uses her 950.

We will use them till they become unusable or a suitable replacement becomes available, we hope they will be phone sized devices that run full blown W10 with telephony, my personal favourite will be that we can port our mobile numbers to our Windows accounts so we could then make calls to and from any PC like our Surfaces and Xbox's as well as the smaller devices.

We are exactly in the same situation (950XL and 850). I develop Apps for Windows UWP (Yes, including Mobile!) and both my wife and I use most of the apps I developed, since they have been designed to our specifications.
We will not change unless we are regrettably forced to

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Gave up last year no new phones apps pulling out the store. What's the point of sticking around. Switched to Android last June and never looked back

Belagyi

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
I'll use my 950XL till it works. It's a great phone. Hopefully it will work
until MS launches the pocketable, telephony enabled PC running full
windows 10.

UserMSear

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
We reluctantly switched about 10 days ago after a lot of research purely because the support isn't there and many app providers are no longer supporting or have withdrawn their apps for Windows phones. Ended up choosing Nokia 8. It does have Google Android, and as some others have done, we just got Googlemail as shell for the phones. You can set it up to use your Microsoft account or any other account and disable Google as default - except for the app store. It does everything you might want and retains some of the features of Microsoft's versions of the Lumia and Lumia before Microsoft took it on, such as settings, notifications etc. It doesn't have tiles but it isn't hard to get used to. Being self employed my phone is important to me for work so there was no way I was going to get an iPhone. The OS on the Nokia is really smooth and does everything the Windows phone did and the amount of useful apps are good. Still hoping that there will be something from MS in the future such as the pocketable PC.

Hani Safa

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
Hi all ,
although i live in Syrian and we don't have Microsoft store there , i managed to get a Lumia 950 , i don't like iPhone or Android OS , i love the live tiles , it makes the phone feels alive. Windows phone make you special , not fallowing the herd.
when all apps stop working , by then . Microsoft should figur out Something :) Still waiting Surface Phone :)

Jaroslav Houdek

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm not in love with W10M or anything, I'm pragmatic. As soon as anything superior arrives, I'll trade it for that. But at the present state, there is no real replacement and the way Android and iOS are un-developing, there will probably be nothing better than W10M until MSFT puts full scale W10 on mobile device.

squeezy99

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I love my 950XL and the camera is great. Jpegs are wonderful but I like being able to use the dng's with Lightroom.
W10 is easy to use and together with a PC the integration is something MS should be pleased with. The front end is clean, easy to change, and is much nicer than Android or Apple. Come on MS, re think, there are manu out there who love them. My wife has a 650 and although she some times shouts at it I hate to think if she had Android!
It is simply years ahead of Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)