Who is still using a Windows Phone? Honest Question.

JMX777

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Still here whit an Alcatel S4 (great device), a 650 as backup my wife keep using an 735 (she loves it) and mi daughter uses a BLU WIN HD LTE.
Using PAWA to make "apps" if i need, is great to keep all i need on the start screen and many webs behave like truly apps this days, I don't like push notifications so for me it's great.

Dwarf_King

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
Just did a hard reset on my Lumia 950 XL today and a restore from the backup. I have used a Samsung Galaxy S8 for like a month or two now and while I like it a lot it is in no way as nice as the Windows 10 mobile system. Perhaps it is just me but I love:
  • the shape of the Lumia 950 XL
  • the live tiles
  • the Camera
  • the start screen, the
  • the Outlook app(I HATE the outlook app for Android)
  • The awesome screen(great for Netflix)
  • The YouTube apps such as MyTube is actually pretty awesome and the Steam tube as well
  • Plus many other special apps
  • The general color and feeling about Windows 10 Mobile in general

Hence I hope to drag it to the end. If only I could get the restarts to stop as buying a new battery did not work so far but perhaps after this hard reset it will work...

Windows 10 mobile is and was a fine OS that just needed a bit more love. Not gonna dish it right away but also still need some apps(yes those have been discontinued on Win 10 Mobile) that are not usable on the Lumia 950 XL which means I am forced to be using two phones.

The funny thing about the Win 10 mobile is that when you are a Windows 10 user on your working machines it never really feels like being away from you desktop or laptop when you use a Windows 10 Mobile.

Last edited:

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Just did a hard reset on my Lumia 950 XL today and a restore from the backup. I have used a Samsung Galaxy S8 for like a month or two now and while I like it a lot it is in no way as nice as the Windows 10 mobile system. Perhaps it is just me but I love:
  • the shape of the Lumia 950 XL
  • the live tiles
  • the Camera
  • the start screen, the
  • the Outlook app(I HATE the outlook app for Android)
  • The awesome screen(great for Netflix)
  • The YouTube apps such as MyTube is actually pretty awesome and the Steam tube as well
  • Plus many other special apps
  • The general color and feeling about Windows 10 Mobile in general

Hence I hope to drag it to the end. If only I could get the restarts to stop as buying a new battery did not work so far but perhaps after this hard reset it will work...

Windows 10 mobile is and was a fine OS that just needed a bit more love. Not gonna dish it right away but also still need some apps(yes those have been discontinued on Win 10 Mobile) that are not usable on the Lumia 950 XL which means I am forced to be using two phones.

The funny thing about the Win 10 mobile is that when you are a Windows 10 user on your working machines it never really feels like being away from you desktop or laptop when you use a Windows 10 Mobile.

reset using the WDRT or lumia flash... that should stop the reboots.. if not then its a hardware issue

Dwarf_King

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
reset using the WDRT or lumia flash... that should stop the reboots.. if not then its a hardware issue

so far it has not reboot randomly after the hard reset but I have not inserted any SD card in it and also no SIM card as I just use it on the WIFI as a tablet right now

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm still rolling with the Lumia 640 I bought on BF November 2015. At one time I actually had three brand new 640's that I bought on closeout in May 2016 for $25/each sitting in a drawer as backups. My Brother the Destroyer (his record for trashing a phone is six hours) has since whittled me down to one remaining. I kept the batteries out of the three 640's he's killed and just retired my original battery last week.

I've really been pretty happy with my 640 running on Windows 10 - Microsoft, not so much. I really feel they made alot of poor decisions regarding Windows Phone/Mobile Devices and screwed over loyal WP Users by basically abandoning the platform.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I think the fact of the matter is that we are in a post-saturation mobile phone market now in the west.

So people don't buy phones or change them just for the "upgrade" any more. And increasingly they aren't buying a flagship when they do, but something more like a xiaomi or similar.

So it's really a matter of 'does it still work satisfactorily'? If the answer is yes, they keep the phone. If the answer is no, they look for one that does but doesn't cost too much.

So don't be surprised if some people hang onto their phone for many more years, until it breaks or the app they need isn't there. That's just how the market works now.

And if they do change their phone, don't be surprised if they don't buy a Samsung, or a iPhone, or whatever flagship phone enthusiasts are pimping, with it's new mega-ram, or special camera - and just buy one that does what they want, and nothing they don't.

I feel like my phone will last well until after andromeda is released. I've always been more of a tablet or PC user than a smartphone user anyway. So for me, something like that is a perfect fit.

It's a funny time really for mobile OSes, in that regard. We are between a universal app platform for light apps in the form of PWA, and the old way of doing things. The smartphone market is starting to show signs of it's inevitable wind down.

We are likely a decade from any new affordable consumer features that really push adoption again. More like incremental tech that people don't give a rats about. Any modern phone is fast enough for most consumers. People don't use power apps on phones anyway. And all the big players are making hybrid OSes.

So we are really at a time when smartphone tech has become stale. Nothing noteworthy new is coming out. The OSes will all eventually be replaced. The app systems will largely be replaced. It's actually a very good time to just stick with what works and be meh about the whole thing. As far as tech goes, it's just not where the excitement or real progress is anymore. That's more like AR, VR, AI, IoT, hybrid OS, natural language and things that will take a long time to fully come to market.

At least PC users can still be excited about what their PC can do in terms of VR, gaming, power software. You don't need the extra power at all for the basic OS, but there's still reason to be hyped about the upgrade. Same with big screen TVs - they still offer some palpable advantages over older TVs. Smart features, better display.

For something that has a tiny screen, spends most of it's like being used to check facebook, or navigate to your date, it's not really very exciting to have a slight processor bump, or a resolution hike. Maybe an amateur photographer could still find the odd thing to be excited about, or a casual gamer, or some IoT hobbyist (lol @ microtransactions and the general quality of mobile games, btw), but there really isn't much for any every day person to give a ___ about.

Scott Kick

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
The only thing wrong with Windows Phones was the shortage of apps. The functionality of the interface outshines all other phones in every possible way. Customization is still my favorite feature but second to that is the fact that I can navigate the phone with minimal clicks. I just used my wife's Android while Driving and almost died. My friends I-phone took 6 clicks to get to the meat of an app she uses on a regular basis. It's ridiculous. Personally... I'm holding out for a hail mary from Microsoft. TRY AGAIN! Lets go!

Scott Kick

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
For of those of us smart enough to not care what Iphone users think, the Microsoft Phones are a steal! I got a 650XL for $18 and have never looked back!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
For of those of us smart enough to not care what Iphone users think, the Microsoft Phones are a steal! I got a 650XL for $18 and have never looked back!

Wow, that is cheap. I'm think that by the time I need a new phone, if andromeda isn't out I might get a 4S. By that time they'll be cheap as chips refurbished. And because PWA is only going to grow, the app gap will be just less of an issue as time goes on. I mean you'd be stupid as a bank for example to keep writing android and ios apps, when it's cheaper and reaches more people just to PWA.

Yeah, I'm in no rush. I really enjoy having that shared functionality with my desktop, so I can use the same apps on both.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm struggling to find a phone where I can arguably say the camera is as good as the 950 I'm still using.

People with SGS8's and the like are commenting that the photos my phone takes are really good. It does struggle in some situations, and is really slow by comparison, but still, nothing in my opinion has arguably beaten the lumia cameras.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm struggling to find a phone where I can arguably say the camera is as good as the 950 I'm still using.

People with SGS8's and the like are commenting that the photos my phone takes are really good. It does struggle in some situations, and is really slow by comparison, but still, nothing in my opinion has arguably beaten the lumia cameras.

I was using a LG V30 again for about 2 weeks. Took more than several photos with it. Then one day decided to fire up a Lumia 930. Even though it could not zoom in as far as the dual lens V30 it took better a better photo with clearer detail than the the LG. To me there will never be anything simpler or more advanced (In certain ways of course..) than the last Lumias running WP8/W10M.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

No doubt the lumia cameras were top notch. That’s the one thing I miss about Windows phones. Then again, I don’t rely on the camera enough for it to be a major factor.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I own a S8+ and iPhone 8+ and their cameras are impressive. Having said that, a Lumia 1520 I had a while back captured the stitching on a Major League fastball. I have tried to replicate that with the Samsung to no avail. Unless a knuckleball pitcher comes to Marlins Stadium this year, I may not try this season the way the Fish are sucking.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk

EFats

May 6, 2018
Visit site
The only thing wrong with Windows Phones was the shortage of apps. The functionality of the interface outshines all other phones in every possible way. Customization is still my favorite feature but second to that is the fact that I can navigate the phone with minimal clicks. I just used my wife's Android while Driving and almost died. My friends I-phone took 6 clicks to get to the meat of an app she uses on a regular basis. It's ridiculous. Personally... I'm holding out for a hail mary from Microsoft. TRY AGAIN! Lets go!

Hmm..I disagree slightly. Believe it or not I just got a 650 a few weeks ago and it's my first Windows phone. There are many things to like about it. I lived with Android for several months before this and I have long supported iOS devices in the household. The Windows interface is pretty nice and efficient, prefer it to those other 2 I think. However, coming from many years on BlackBerry 10, I find that interface way more efficient, very easy and fast to get things done, it just "flows".
I don't have issue with apps, I'm just trying to replicate what I have on my BB10 devices and I think I'm pretty much there. As long as Microsoft does not shut down the phone, I will be hanging on to it for a few more years.
I gotta give credit to the 650, it's a nice looking device and feels much smaller in hand than it actually is. And Windows Mobile itself, while not without its bugs, so far I only find the Microsoft Store itself frustrating (so slow), the rest of the phone I actually find myself enjoy using, unlike Android.
I don't care what other users think. I find it amusing it when they find out my phone is actually a BlackBerry or Windows phone. They don't even realize it because I've been able to communicate and deal with work & life at least as well, if not better, than they do with their Androids or iPhones.

opdiefiets

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Still using L950 as my daily driver. Don't miss apps that much at the moment. (I have never had an iOS or Android phone, so don't know what I've been missing all these years)
It makes relatively good photos in poor light, absolutely necessary for my job. I don't always have a dedicated camera at hand.

New phones with comparable camera quality are just too expensive for my taste.
Two things that would make me swich:
- if the new battery I just received is as bad as the former one (changes are quite high sadly)
- if whatsapp stops with the W10M app

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Still using L950 as my daily driver. Don't miss apps that much at the moment. (I have never had an iOS or Android phone, so don't know what I've been missing all these years)
It makes relatively good photos in poor light, absolutely necessary for my job. I don't always have a dedicated camera at hand.

New phones with comparable camera quality are just too expensive for my taste.
Two things that would make me swich:
- if the new battery I just received is as bad as the former one (changes are quite high sadly)
- if whatsapp stops with the W10M app

You did not miss anything. In fact, you will lose a proper functioning sstock calculator, integrated call recorder.... if you switch.🙂

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
You did not miss anything. In fact, you will lose a proper functioning sstock calculator, integrated call recorder.... if you switch.??????

Ya true. I found it weird that a phone released last year (LG V30) did not even have a native alarm clock app already installed...

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Hmm..I disagree slightly. Believe it or not I just got a 650 a few weeks ago and it's my first Windows phone. There are many things to like about it. I lived with Android for several months before this and I have long supported iOS devices in the household. The Windows interface is pretty nice and efficient, prefer it to those other 2 I think. However, coming from many years on BlackBerry 10, I find that interface way more efficient, very easy and fast to get things done, it just "flows".
I don't have issue with apps, I'm just trying to replicate what I have on my BB10 devices and I think I'm pretty much there. As long as Microsoft does not shut down the phone, I will be hanging on to it for a few more years.
I gotta give credit to the 650, it's a nice looking device and feels much smaller in hand than it actually is. And Windows Mobile itself, while not without its bugs, so far I only find the Microsoft Store itself frustrating (so slow), the rest of the phone I actually find myself enjoy using, unlike Android.
I don't care what other users think. I find it amusing it when they find out my phone is actually a BlackBerry or Windows phone. They don't even realize it because I've been able to communicate and deal with work & life at least as well, if not better, than they do with their Androids or iPhones.

I went Android > Blackberry 10 > Windows 10 Mobile.

I think you'll find windows 10 mobile lasts you fine (app wise, we should get many incoming PWAs and in general the platform is pretty replete. Better than BB10 even with the aging android runtime), and you'll grow to like aspects of the UI. It's not as clean and simple as BB10, but it has it's merits like the live tiles, folders and so on. Up and down scrolling is easier IMO than side swiping (for example with a single thumb in one hand)

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Using a 1320 right now, have a classic 920 that I got from my friend who changed his phone, both running WP8.1. Also bought a 830 that I "updated" to W10M. I got another brand new 1320 in case something happens to the one I'm using right now. I use all of these to test my app.

Fun fact, I had another 1320 that was stolen - snatched from my hand when I was on a call - and then found by the cops. The thief had scratched the screen and broke the power button in the 3 weeks he was using it, that b@st@rd. After it was found I got it fixed and now my dad is using it and likes it a lot. Also my mom is using a 640XL that I got her, running WP8.1.

So you can say I know my way around Windows Phones lol. And I can't imagine moving to either iOS or Android. Historically speaking iPhones are for douchebags (no offense to WP users who switched!) and Android is just a plain mess.
So I'm waiting for the dual screen, pocketable, full Windows 10 devices to kick in and by that time PWAs will become common and tada...a path for me to update my hardware.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Using a 1320 right now, have a classic 920 that I got from my friend who changed his phone, both running WP8.1. Also bought a 830 that I "updated" to W10M. I got another brand new 1320 in case something happens to the one I'm using right now. I use all of these to test my app.

Fun fact, I had another 1320 that was stolen - snatched from my hand when I was on a call - and then found by the cops. The thief had scratched the screen and broke the power button in the 3 weeks he was using it, that b@st@rd. After it was found I got it fixed and now my dad is using it and likes it a lot. Also my mom is using a 640XL that I got her, running WP8.1.

So you can say I know my way around Windows Phones lol. And I can't imagine moving to either iOS or Android. Historically speaking iPhones are for douchebags (no offense to WP users who switched!) and Android is just a plain mess.
So I'm waiting for the dual screen, pocketable, full Windows 10 devices to kick in and by that time PWAs will become common and tada...a path for me to update my hardware.

Nice story until you had to lower yourself to name calling.
Shame.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven