Who is still using a Windows Phone? Honest Question.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I break out my beloved $30 640 about 2 to 3 times a year because, as others have said, I need to get my WP fix.
Honestly still heartbroken about the demise of my favorite OS. What a prolonged, brutal experience the death of WP was for those of us who love(d) it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I break out my beloved $30 640 about 2 to 3 times a year because, as others have said, I need to get my WP fix.
Honestly still heartbroken about the demise of my favorite OS. What a prolonged, brutal experience the death of WP was for those of us who love(d) it.
Don't deny it, you know it's a guilty pleasure. Right up there with Barry Manilow and guys who like "The Notebook".

rchapman80

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've never used a Windows phone as my smartphone. I have always been on iPhone and now Android. I did try out a windows phone to some extent. I purchased a Lumina 540 unlocked for maybe $40 during one Christmas. I used it as an alternative to an iPod Touch at a fraction of the cost and it worked wonderfully until the day it died a few years ago. I didn't worry about apps since I only used it occasionally for browsing put mainly music and some video. It's a shame Microsofts mobile platform never took off. It had a lot of potential but with such little following it didn't make sense to keep it going.

O W Jones

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I will continue using WP for its ability to allow my X3 phone to be a mobile extension of my PC which is much simpler in the Microsoft ecosystem than from other mobile operating systems. I've been on windows phone since the Samsung i-730 (running windows mobile 2003) that's a span of over 15 years. I bought that phone for the simple reason that it was one of the first smartphones having a version of office which could also sync and edit files from my PC. The Excel version ran most of my formulas except some database and nested lookup functions. There were no apps then, you simply went to the website for your URL connections. When Verizon discontinued carrying windows phones, I kept using mine until phone technology advanced and calls started dropping on my commute. By that time the Lumia 822 was being carried and I upgraded. The office version on that phone was terrible being nothing more than a glorified file viewer with minimal editing capabilities. For Microsoft who won the office wars to put out a product like that was shameful. I used that until the screen broke in a fall and Verizon replaced it with HTC OneM8. When the M8 was not upgraded to Windows Mobile v10 (another shameful performance from Microsoft as is dropping Window Mobile) I kept using it waiting for Verizon to offer an upgrade.
That was supplanted by the unlocked X3 about a year ago when it was on sale dumping Verizon (no windows option again) in the process. The X3 is a great phone, it syncs with my PC, I can attach my Plugable docking station to the HP doc giving me a mobile PC when also attached to my monitor. The Excel and Word versions on it are the best since my Samsung phone now allowing copying and editing of complex formulas. As far as apps go, if not available in the store, I simply connect via the web just like I originally did. Phone functions work well and the mobile OS is very stable and receiving patches through 2019. An SD card holds all my photos files, and music. The AkrutoSync program on my PC allows seamless synching over home wireless network of outlook calendar and contacts between PC, phone, tablet without using the cloud. At this point, I see no reason to upgrade off of Windows mobile. Not impressed with the I-Phone from work and want nothing to do with Google ecosystem. By 2019, Microsoft will have to have something available in the mobile space as they can not ignore it. I’ll see what I want to do then. Finally, if your current tech hardware does what you need it to do, there is no real reason to upgrade.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't get the sense of urgency expressed by zac's thread pointing here, the media seems to picture it as if it were a downright necessity to have a device running either of the duopoly's options otherwise you're either crazy or living under a rock, apparently.

As said before, its not like my phone will stop working for whatever reason, if anything its more secure and supported than the vast majority of droids and even iphones, I'm not kidding, you could have a 920 running the freaking latest release and it would be okey, now try that with the iphone 4S

Dare2Blink

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I did until my 950 XL microphone died, meaning I could no longer use it to talk to people. Got a temporary note 8 until the surface Nota phone becomes available

PNvmkpk

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I moved on to android a month ago after a hardware issue with my 950XL. But I have 650 that I occasionally use to move my text messages from android. I am waiting for a messaging app from Microsoft that taps into Windows's text messaging backup and at that time my 650 usage will be limited to testing my apps.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
My 950 XL is sadly sitting on the shelf, for now...Spotify stopped working for me, the Starbucks app disappeared; i'm trying an S8+; it takes great pics. I've always liked the Samsung cameras on my ATIV S and ATIV SE windows phones, so things are going ok; it's good to be able to use MINT again; but still miss the Windows OS though....hate that i've been forced into this predicament.

ZipZapRap

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Still using 950XL.
Mainly because I cbf with apps, and have a distrust for the amount of data companies want about me. I'll just keep it to a select few.
So I just use my phone as a browser, phone/messenger, data point, music. Everything else I don't give a rats about.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Can we all agree that despite some of the features of W10 I feel 8.1 was clearly superior?

Wholeheartedly agree with you there. Think if they could get the lead out of W10 that's weighing it down that too would be a massive improvement, not gonna happen though.

ZipZapRap

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't get the sense of urgency expressed by zac's thread pointing here, the media seems to picture it as if it were a downright necessity to have a device running either of the duopoly's options otherwise you're either crazy or living under a rock, apparently.

Agree. But it's Zac, he's like that sometimes. Who cares, use what makes you happy, not what Zac implies you should be doing.

Mike Bergmann

Jan 21, 2018
Visit site
Heck...still? I just started lol. I just picked up the Idol 4s off the Windows Store online for $99.00. No brainer. Actually got 2. One for my wife to use to replace her aging LG G Flex 2 to use as her daily (app gap is not an issue for her as she uses very few) and one for me to test out. I've always wanted a Windows Phone and I'm going to try/use Continuum as I find the concept still very interesting. Yes, I'm aware of it's limitations but I love stuff like this.

Would I switch from my current Essential PH-1 as my daily?? We'll see. Stranger things have happened.

DeZforPreZ xx

Jan 21, 2018
Visit site
I feel equal devotion to WP & HTC. I'm still using an HTC 8xt, wp8 on sprint. Before that I used my HTC Arrive, wp7 for years. The 8xt is increasingly slow using the web.
When I added another line I got an HTC 10, android. If it ran a WP os that didn't have the app gap it would be perfect.

Ruufus

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I still use my 950XL and just bought a new battery for it. I will agree that W10M doesn't run smooth as WP8 but still love the overall cleaness of the interface. I still love the camera quality. I jhave used Android at work and it a disorganized mess relatively speaking.

Ben Triplett1

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
My family all use Windows phones. 2x 950s, 2x Idol 4s, and 2x Lumia 650. No chance I will ever go Apple or Android. Had iPhones through 4s, walled garden, no thanks. Android is junk. App gap is not my problem, if devs don't want to make apps for me, I don't need their apps.

Deaconclgi

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Carry the 950XL. Waiting for phone with a better camera than my old 1020, maybe the Huawei P20. Bought a Sony A6000 camera to hold me over. All I wanted was a faster 1020.

The Sony a6000 is an amazing camera. I have had it for about 3 years and my a7RII for almost 2 years.

The a7RII at 42.4MP is the professional Lumia 1020! I wanted a faster 1020 as well but the a7RII far exceeds my expectations and I can't wait to get the a7RIII this year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo