Who is still using a Windows Phone? Honest Question.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Interest, good or bad, is a good thing. When people stop talking about it is when you should worry!

"As long as you spell my name right" is what Reggie Jackson used to tell reporters. More recently, check out LaVar Ball. Love him or hate him, his name is constantly in the news.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Lots of activity on this thread now...
I had not visisted it for more than several days and there were like 200 unread posts. Glad folks are interested in Windows Phones ;)

Interesting that you comment this. Some of the responses in this thread made me think of you.

tribexx

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I use my 950XL as it's my phone, I have a worked supplied Samsung and hate it.

My wife uses her 950.

We will use them till they become unusable or a suitable replacement becomes available, we hope they will be phone sized devices that run full blown W10 with telephony, my personal favourite will be that we can port our mobile numbers to our Windows accounts so we could then make calls to and from any PC like our Surfaces and Xbox's as well as the smaller devices.

Pretty simple.

I use my 950xl as an Instagram and Facebook device. The fact that you can pin 6tag instagram "users or tags that you follow" to the start menu is great. I don't have to rely on the crappy Instagram algorithm. The same with Facebook. I pinned the people/groups i follow to the start menu and ignore all of the garbage. Also, cortana is still the best AI reminder.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Interesting that you comment this. Some of the responses in this thread made me think of you.

Ya, still chugging away. Now I am trying not to totally kill any of my windows phones. Been over on the xda forums a lot lately chiming in there. Grub2 loads on my 1520 now though :)

amits1024

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
I have a Microsoft Lumia 535 as my secondary phone. Primary phone is a Nokia android phone

I love the UI of Windows phones, especially the live tiles. Hoping Windows phones can be revived again

Yaldenski

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I had been using Nokia phones from the days that mobile phones became available to "normal" people and only bought an iPhone 4 as my first non-Nokia to see what all the fuss was about. I replaced that with a Lumia 800 as soon as it came out and was extremely happy with it. After my 800 I got a 1020, then a 1520 and then a 930 and as soon as it came out a 950 XL. I walked around with both a 930 and the 950 XL for quite a while until my 930 broke cause it fell from my pocket onto the concrete. Because It was insured I was sent a new one but then I decided that walking around with 2 phones all the time was silly so I started carrying only my 950 XL until that also broke last weekend. Thankfully I still had that replacement 930 so now I'm back to using just the 930. I have no idea what to do if/when that also breaks. I can only pray that by then another phone with Windows will be available because I do NOT want to switch to Android nor do I want to go back to another iPhone. Why? I don't know, I guess I'm just crazy that way

Simon Edmunds

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I have just retired my 950xl and now have a Huawei Mate 10 Pro. I loved the 950 but the app gap was getting silly, with Barclays Bank no longer supporting the mobile app, this was the final nail in the coffin for me. I can do so much more with an android phone than I ever could using Windows mobile. I miss the live tiles but that's about it. If anyone is looking to switch, the Mate 10 Pro is an awesome phone.

Yaldenski

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
expanding on that; Yes, I do have autism so sticking with what I know and like is something I have a strong tendency to do, but still sticking with Windows on my phones is not something that can be attributed to my autism. When I was first taught to use computers at school they ran BASIC. It didn't make a lot of sense to me so I never progressed any further than filling the screen with my name and I believe I do still remember the code to do that. Later I started studying digital audio production in a school dedicated to that using ProTools on macs. Macs did not make sense to me at all but with some help I soon learned how to get the job done anyway but macs never started making sense to me, ProTools did though. When I later bought my first computer it was a 286 running windows 3.1 and all of a sudden it started maing more sense to me. Later still I decided to build my own PC which was a Pentium 233MMX and it ran Windows95 and then finally I started understanding the OSA much more than ever before. I was still no superexpert but I soon found that I was now able to charge people and organisations money to help them better understand how to make more of their PC's and I actually had a decent career based on that. So what I want to say is that for some reason I cannot explain Windows has always made a lot more sense to me than any other OS and it still does which is why I will not use any OS other than Windows as long as a machine with Windows is available to me... SO there's my story.

Yaldenski

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
expanding or perhaps clarifying even further; Even though I have autism I'm not a code guy... The furthest I ever got with code was some very simple HTML but I hated doing that, it's just not my thing, I need a graphical UI to get anything done at all, end when it comes to graphical UI's the only one that has ever made any sense to me has been Windows particularly beginning with Windows 95 and it's still the same now that my hair is getting greyer and greyer... I like Windows, it just makes sense to me somehow and all the other stuff that I've tried to work with, from Apple's UI's to whatever else I've seen just doesn't work for me. I can't explain it any better than this, and well, apart from my autism I now have brain damage due to a stroke so I guess I'm quite disabled and maybe it's just me, but that's what I am and that's the way it is and has been for me. If it's not Windows I don't want it.

Yaldenski

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
and one last time just expanding one little bit further... Yes, Windows sometimes also confuses and frustrates me but most of the time it just feels logical and makes sense whereas any toher OS I've seen and/or tried to use is the opposite, it just doesn't seem logical and confuses me almost all the time. Ok, now I'm done

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I had been using Nokia phones from the days that mobile phones became available to "normal" people and only bought an iPhone 4 as my first non-Nokia to see what all the fuss was about. I replaced that with a Lumia 800 as soon as it came out and was extremely happy with it. After my 800 I got a 1020, then a 1520 and then a 930 and as soon as it came out a 950 XL. I walked around with both a 930 and the 950 XL for quite a while until my 930 broke cause it fell from my pocket onto the concrete. Because It was insured I was sent a new one but then I decided that walking around with 2 phones all the time was silly so I started carrying only my 950 XL until that also broke last weekend. Thankfully I still had that replacement 930 so now I'm back to using just the 930. I have no idea what to do if/when that also breaks. I can only pray that by then another phone with Windows will be available because I do NOT want to switch to Android nor do I want to go back to another iPhone. Why? I don't know, I guess I'm just crazy that way

I am surprised your first 930 that fell once was unusable after that. I have tossed, slammed, attempted to flex, pound on, and everything else I could to my Lumia 929, and it never once stopped working. I have a black one now with multiple screen cracks, bent frame near the sim tray, and other damage and it is still chugging along. The 930 is actually the only model I have found to have ingress protection near the audio jack and charger port, it could have other qualities I have not discovered yet. It is by no means water resistant but I had not seen such "Tank-like" properties and the beginings of ingress protection testing on other Nokia models. Yet I have not owned every model so who knows...

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Simple. There's still a lot I love about this platform that I can't get anywhere else.

When I blew through two grand getting an iPhone X and a Galaxy Note 8 to "see which one I was leaving Windows Phone for," a part of me knew I'd be making that call to MetroPCS to get my SIM switched back to my Windows Phone.

Got the iPhone X a day after it launched used it for a month, then used the Note 8 for a month. Both of them are back in their boxes now (but still here), and I'm forced to face the reality that the best two phones the competition had to offer couldn't keep me from going back to the stormy, dark desert where Windows Phone's bloody, beaten carcass was abandoned.

No 'live tile' launcher on droid is as good - not a single one of them. I missed SMS relay through Skype, I missed having my Xbox Live Mobile games where achievements actually count towards my Xbox GamerScore, I missed that amazing camera app, I missed having TubeCast give me the ability to play YouTube audio under the lock screen, I missed plugging into my continuum dock, coding C++ on my phone through #Code and actually being able to compile, test and submit my projects using no more than my phone, I missed having two day battery life... I missed Windows Phone.

And it goes deeper too. The mail app is so effortless about letting me add my ton of accounts whereas my Note 8 came with two mail clients that suck equally at handling an exchange account, and I even found myself missing little **** like settings. Have you ever tried to move an app AND it’s data to an SD card on Android? It’s HELL. You cannot, and will not move an app and it’s data to SD on Android without root access, Link2SD and a utility to create swap partition (**** no reasonable person has time for). On Windows Phone? Effortless... I can even set it as default install location on every windows phone, whereas the option isn’t guaranteed on Android.

I don't want to leave the platform. I just want Microsoft to give a damn about it 😢😭

Satisfying me doesn't even require the app gap to close, just for Microsoft to have let their first party software be present and at least somewhat up-to-date on Windows Phone. Skype Highlights is much more interesting to me than Snapchat, yet we never saw it on the platform that needed it most. We have the only version of mobile OneNote that doesn't support finger inking, LinkedIn on WP has been in hiatus all since MS acquired them... but for every complaint I have about WP, you'll notice none of this falls on a single third party. This is all stuff MS could've taken care of and they didn't... for pretty much the entirety of W10

Last edited:

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Why am I still using my Hp Elite X3??Why in 2018 no other phone maker has a 4100mAh battery? Yes Samsung, and Huawei have their own blend of continuum, but one of the latter...The note 8 has a much smaller battery, and the Huawei has a 4000mAh battery with a continuum like feature but no sd card support.I mean really,like the title says it's 2018 so why can't I find a phone in 2018 that gives me the best of Samsung and the battery life of Huawei??The Elite X3 can go a day and a bit in a single charge,I don't want to lug a portable charger for my phone like it's on life support, that's Microsoft's job with Windows 10 Mobile lol
There are other phones with 4000 mAh and 5000 mAh batteries

ZenFone Max comes with a 5000 mAh battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion