Who is still using a Windows Phone? Honest Question.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Your opinion is exactly that: your opinion. How is the Android notification shade better than the Windows Notification Center? I have 4 email accounts, 3 of which regularly get numerous emails a day. I can quickly see all of the emails I get with the notification center, while Android's notification shade misses many of them, and tends to only show me one or two emails from each batch that my accounts get. The notification shade also gets flooded with tons of notifications for practically everything. It seems every app you install on Android wants to notify you of something mundane and unnecessary. I have to turn off notifications for every game I install. The split screen multi-tasking is only useful on a phone in rare circumstances, and the method by which Android lets apps sit in memory causes slow downs.
the notifications in general aren't reliable first of all on Windows. On Android I have a few apps I'm able to run from the notification center without ever opening the app. Notifications are on time, more detailed and if u don't want apps giving you notifications you can turn it off from the notification center you don't have to jump in settings to do so.

Battery saver? At least on my phone (Nougat 7.0) I have to 1) realize that a block of text has to be tapped to get to it, and 2) it simply has a toggle for on and off. Keep in mind that my phone uses the default Android experience. Maybe your phone has added additional functionality. Windows Phone is much simpler and better laid out than Android. I don't find a lot of people who actually enjoy Android's UI. More like they tolerate it because their phones can do so much with the apps they can get.
My phone has a little extra but even still o get a detailed list if what's using my battery, detailed graph of my battery usage to pinpoint the time and how much drain is on my battery and how long since the last charge windows doesn't give u any of this info

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
the notifications in general aren't reliable first of all on Windows. On Android I have a few apps I'm able to run from the notification center without ever opening the app. Notifications are on time, more detailed and if u don't want apps giving you notifications you can turn it off from the notification center you don't have to jump in settings to do so.
I disagree with this. What do you mean exactly and when did you last use a windows phone?

I've never missed a notification and how would having to go to settings to turn them off make them unreliable

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I disagree with this. What do you mean exactly and when did you last use a windows phone?

I've never missed a notification and how would having to go to settings to turn them off make them unreliable
I've had windows all the way up to June of last year. Just had the idol 4s. Been on Windows since the HTC touch pro 1, and Windows phone since the HTC trophy. It's times where they are delayed or don't show at all. That's not necessarily the notification center at fault either. Windows has had issues with notifications for years. I also remember the issue where tapping notifications didn't always launch the app on Windows. Everything on Android is more functional and more options and better supported.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I've had windows all the way up to June of last year. Just had the idol 4s. Been on Windows since the HTC touch pro 1, and Windows phone since the HTC trophy. It's times where they are delayed or don't show at all. That's not necessarily the notification center at fault either. Windows has had issues with notifications for years. I also remember the issue where tapping notifications didn't always launch the app on Windows. Everything on Android is more functional and more options and better supported.
That might be true for some apps or maybe legacy apps not running off UWP that are lingering around and run on W10M like WhatsApp. Actually it is. I've used WhatsApp a handful of times and it struggles to give notifications on time. All other apps I use are fine - Outlook, Messaging , mTalk, myTube, GroupMe etc.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you ever tried to move an app AND it’s data to an SD card on Android? It’s HELL. You cannot, and will not move an app and it’s data to SD on Android without root access, Link2SD and a utility to create swap partition (**** no reasonable person has time for).

Yes!!! It blew my mind to discover how poorly android manages SD storage. It might as well not even exist.

And I can't get texts and reply hands free in the car like I could with Cortana?!?! Furthermore, I don't get turn by turn nav directions unless I've selected the phone as my audio source.

Windows Phone lost to this jumbled mess of an OS?!?! What a colossal screw up on Microsoft's part.

I lasted about a month on android. I'll use my 650 until it dies.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes!!! It blew my mind to discover how poorly android manages SD storage. It might as well not even exist.

And I can't get texts and reply hands free in the car like I could with Cortana?!?! Furthermore, I don't get turn by turn nav directions unless I've selected the phone as my audio source.

Windows Phone lost to this jumbled mess of an OS?!?! What a colossal screw up on Microsoft's part.

I lasted about a month on android. I'll use my 650 until it dies.

exactly all the same reasons for myself (and more) and I mirror your rhetorical question LOL

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Have you ever tried to move an app AND it’s data to an SD card on Android? It’s HELL. You cannot, and will not move an app and it’s data to SD on Android without root access, Link2SD and a utility to create swap partition

It is possible to move apps and data to the SD without root or needing an app on Android phones by activating "developer options"
Turning this on and scrolling to the bottom of dev options look for "Inactive apps" then enable "Force allow apps on external storage"
You will need to tap on any app under settings to actually move the app to SD so there is an extra step or two.

I do this with my Sony Xperia that has limited internal storage.
Works very well and hasn't caused any problems for me at all.

I can post details about how to do this if it will help.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It is possible to move apps and data to the SD without root or needing an app on Android phones by activating "developer options"
Turning this on and scrolling to the bottom of dev options look for "Inactive apps" then enable "Force allow apps on external storage"
You will need to tap on any app under settings to actually move the app to SD so there is an extra step or two.

Wow, I never knew that you can do that. I'm going to poke around for this.

Gord Sutherland

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I am still clinging to my 950XL as long as it holds out. I picked up an Idol 4s over the holiday as I know my Lumia is on its last leg and no replacement is available. I can't find any substitute for live tiles and the amazing Office integration. I use Continuum every day and no longer carry my work laptop home. My smart TV Bluetooth keyboard does double duty just fine. I am foolishly hoping MS has a grand mobile strategy that is ultra secret...although I know they don't.

hrd Chinchwad

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
i use my 950xl as it's my phone, i have a worked supplied samsung and hate it.

My wife uses her 950.

We will use them till they become unusable or a suitable replacement becomes available, we hope they will be phone sized devices that run full blown w10 with telephony, my personal favourite will be that we can port our mobile numbers to our windows accounts so we could then make calls to and from any pc like our surfaces and xbox's as well as the smaller devices.

great !!!!! Me too

Mattemt294

Jan 30, 2018
Visit site
i had an htc one m8 with Windows 8 from an iPhone. I liked it but the app gap left me going back to iOS. I always missed my WP. back in March I switched from an iPhone 7+ to win10m. I wanted an hp elite but ended up settling for the idol4s. I liked it till support started ending and the hardware was a bit slow.

I ended up switching to the Galaxy note8. I run cortana Microsoft launcher etc but the integration and layout just isn't win10. miss those live tiles. I still mess around with my idol though when I'm feeling nostolagic.

Mattemt294

Jan 30, 2018
Visit site
if anyone is considering a switch though go Android. tons of posts with great options on how to keep it as Microsoft as possible. edge browser OneDrive office suite cortana Bing. it's got alot

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I am still clinging to my 950XL as long as it holds out. I picked up an Idol 4s over the holiday as I know my Lumia is on its last leg and no replacement is available. I can't find any substitute for live tiles and the amazing Office integration. I use Continuum every day and no longer carry my work laptop home. My smart TV Bluetooth keyboard does double duty just fine. I am foolishly hoping MS has a grand mobile strategy that is ultra secret...although I know they don't.

what are you talking about, no replacement? 950xl can be found everywhere! ebay, swappa, craigslist, Kijiji, even here in the market place...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I did this and I just wanted to thank you. That's amazing, you have just made my life with a 16gb storage phone a little easier.
I can't say that I was struggling but anything helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs