Who is still using a Windows Phone? Honest Question.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm about to follow in your footsteps, kind of. I have a iPhone 7 currently and it is working out well for me. It's not the best phone ever, but it has the best balance of my wants and needs in a phone. Of course, I would like for it to be shorter but again, this is the best balance.

I'm looking forward to my Surface Pro, since it does things that the iPad or an Android tablet can't.

I think you will be very happy. I love the combination of my Surface Pro and iPhone. I had an iPad years ago, but the Surface has replaced my home desktop and iPad in one great device.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think you will be very happy. I love the combination of my Surface Pro and iPhone. I had an iPad years ago, but the Surface has replaced my home desktop and iPad in one great device.

That's good to know, thank you! I'm excited to pick it up hopefully tomorrow if not Saturday.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Let go of my two Lumia 950 XLs. I had them up for sale and the last one sold today :(. But that just means I get to use my 1520 again ;). I really admire this one in many ways. 5 years old and still champions in a lot of areas as a phablet/phone even if it is like holding giant hunk of glass and polycarbonate.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Honestly I've been on Android almost a year now got those complaining about it you need a higher end phone. My axon 7 still flies. No lag still running smoothly all the apps I need, updated Facebook, messenger, ig...etc.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Honestly I've been on Android almost a year now got those complaining about it you need a higher end phone. My axon 7 still flies. No lag still running smoothly all the apps I need, updated Facebook, messenger, ig...etc.
LOL, for us Windows phone users we have no choice. The Elite X3 was the last of the dying flagship breed, and it really is not all that and a bag of chips over the 950 XL...
It is unfortunate for those that need certain apps or the functionality of said apps, and Windows 10 Mobile just can't deliver it. I don't mind it so much, but there are times I see a feature that makes me want to switch over to Android from time to time. Little features too that just help pass the time (gif support in SMS/MMS, AR functionality, apps like Tapatalk or forum apps that are not done right for Windows phones).

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
LOL, for us Windows phone users we have no choice. The Elite X3 was the last of the dying flagship breed, and it really is not all that and a bag of chips over the 950 XL...
It is unfortunate for those that need certain apps or the functionality of said apps, and Windows 10 Mobile just can't deliver it. I don't mind it so much, but there are times I see a feature that makes me want to switch over to Android from time to time. Little features too that just help pass the time (gif support in SMS/MMS, AR functionality, apps like Tapatalk or forum apps that are not done right for Windows phones).
I understand that but Windows phone is obviously dead

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I understand that but Windows phone is obviously dead

I have to agree. As long as newer builds were still coming out there was this idea of a placeholder until the next iteration. But now, all that's missing is Last Rites from Pope Francis.

BeachBomb

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up a new HP Elite x3 for Verizon at the Microsoft store over the weekend after the battery started dying on my Nokia Icon. I love the phone and it's working like a charm but I'm not sure whether to keep it or to return it for either an iPhone or an Android, both of which I strongly dislike.

I'm hoping someone here can give me their feedback to help me to decide what to do. Again I'm a dedicated WP user who hates to give up the platform but with news that it's going to not be supported by Microsoft by mid 2019, I'm wondering whether or not to keep my new phone.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up a new HP Elite x3 for Verizon at the Microsoft store over the weekend after the battery started dying on my Nokia Icon. I love the phone and it's working like a charm but I'm not sure whether to keep it or to return it for either an iPhone or an Android, both of which I strongly dislike.

I'm hoping someone here can give me their feedback to help me to decide what to do. Again I'm a dedicated WP user who hates to give up the platform but with news that it's going to not be supported by Microsoft by mid 2019, I'm wondering whether or not to keep my new phone.
I love/loved WP too, but now equally love my Android phone. It might take you a little while to get acquainted with a new phone, but, in this case, the grass really is greener on the other side. I recommend going with Android. If you have the cash, get yourself a Pixel 2 XL. If you don't want to spend that much, look into the new Sony phones, specifically the XA2 Ultra.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

The question is why do you “hate” Android and iPhone? Is it just a perception or do you have recent real life experience with both? Only you know what your needs are and if any particular platform can meet all or most of those needs.
If you like the X3 and Windows Mobile meets your needs, why not stick with it for now and see what happens? You can switch at any time you feel comfortable doing so.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The question is why do you “hate” Android and iPhone? Is it just a perception or do you have recent real life experience with both? Only you know what your needs are and if any particular platform can meet all or most of those needs.
If you like the X3 and Windows Mobile meets your needs, why not stick with it for now and see what happens? You can switch at any time you feel comfortable doing so.

I agree, use it as long as it works for you. Unfortunately at some point there will probably come a time where it either won't be supported and stop working or it just won't work for your needs.

Now if you are asking about value, I would say unless you got a huge discount on the price of an X3, you would be better off getting another phone. You can get equal or better performance for the same price that will be supported longer. Of course I say that with an iPhone X and Lumia 640 sitting side by side on my desk and still loving/missing the 640.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Like others have mentioned you will just need to weigh the costs/balances of giving that Elite X3 back and switching to another type of device. The VZW models is not cheap. The GSM model (Dual SIM) is pretty cheap (about 250.00 new without the desk dock on ebay).
I personally am caught in the middle sometimes because functionality-wise I can use a Windows 10 Phones all day long. Phone calls/MMS and SMS/Email/Web browsing work just fine. If I want some neat feature packed-app at any point I have to move to an Android phone. iPhone's I can work with, but I do not prefer them if I have to look for something other than a Windows 10 mobile phone. I am chronic mobile device switcher though, and so are most of us, so take it all with a grain of salt and do what works easiest and best for you.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

On the outside chance you are a T-Mobile customer, there is an eBay seller offering new Alcatel 4S's for $119 (or maybe a little less). I bought one for a relative and it is new (sealed box) and confirmed by T-Mobile to have their warranty upon activation. They did send me an open box first which they said was an accident but T-Mobile confirmed that one was also new from a warranty standpoint. When I contacted the seller, they immediately shipped a sealed box phone before receiving the open box back.

Now its not as good of a phone as the HP, but not far off, so a better bang for the buck, if that matters to you. With a questionable lifespan for WM, I think the less spent the better. But that's just my opinion.

BeachBomb

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the input. I'm on Verizon and I didn't want a used or reconditioned phone. I use my phone primarily for web browsing, text messaging and phone calls. And since Office 365 is already built in, I love that I can access my documents uploaded to One Drive. Since I use a company issued iPad for work, I use any apps on that device that I don't have from the Windows Store.

BeachBomb

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I toy around with my dad's Android all the time because he's not very tech savvy and I don't like the Android OS in comparison to WM. Since I use an iPad for work and many Apple apps, I do have some experience with the Apple OS and it too pales by comparison to what I can do right on my phone.

The x3 can be returned to the Microsoft store for a full refund within 30 days, so I do have a bit of time to decide whether or not to keep it. So far even without all of the apps available for Apple or Android, this phone is a work horse and the battery life is awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs