Who is still using a Windows Phone? Honest Question.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Nice story until you had to lower yourself to name calling.
Shame.

It was meant to be humorous. Maybe that tone didn't get conveyed.
Still, you're lucky you weren't on GSMArena during WP's golden days when we went to war over which OS is better. I used to moderate the blog over at GSMArena.com and basically what I said here was among the tamest of comments you'd hear over there even if taken seriously!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It was meant to be humorous. Maybe that tone didn't get conveyed.
Still, you're lucky you weren't on GSMArena during WP's golden days when we went to war over which OS is better. I used to moderate the blog over at GSMArena.com and basically what I said here was among the tamest of comments you'd hear over there even if taken seriously!

GSMarena did use to get down and dirty. Seems a bit mellower now a days.
I heard ya loud and clear though (for the most part). Text on screen does not always convey what really is under the skin...
I have an iPhone 6 in behind a cabinet sitting there that I never use. That makes me one of the THEM?...oh noooooo!
Joking aside. Even if I was using it, one person's comment on a forum is not going to convince me why I am using it or make me think I am what they think I am. Some have tougher skin than others though. I guess better making a comment of that type here than on iMore…;)

Last edited:

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
GSMarena did use to get down and dirty. Seems a bit mellower now a days.
I heard ya loud and clear though (for the most part). Text on screen does not always convey what really is under the skin...
I have an iPhone 6 in behind a cabinet sitting there that I never use. That makes me one of the THEM?...oh noooooo!
Joking aside. Even if I was using it, one person's comment on a forum is not going to convince me why I am using it or make me think I am what they think I am. Some have tougher skin than other though. I guess better making a comment of that type here than on iMore…;)

Nah, it was a joke. I was actually smiling when I typed it!
Obviously when you have 2 OS's remaining and the 3rd one is all but dead people have to move to those platforms. I'm practically behind, meaning my needs aren't covered to the fullest extent while sticking with WP, and I am a conservative when it comes to phones meaning I have pretty basic needs. Obviously if you want to live in today's world you need to join one of those platforms.

But if Windows Phone was alive and well, with regular, proper updates in keeping with its core message, with a healthy 10% market share today almost none of the people who come to this site would have switched to any other platform.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 1520 2yrs ago. One of the last 16gb ATT phones, but it was new Bought it to replace a 1520 that I broke. It still works great ..really good camera, passive voice activation, and of course Cortana and terrific voice recognition. I also have a. 920 running W10 great, but only use the cam and for mp3. My 83 yr old Dad is still running a 920 and will not give it up

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
1520 is an awesome phone. Both me & wife was using ours until January last year... It fit and feels nice in the hand...
Was sad to let it go

... !

Thomas K2

Jun 16, 2018
Visit site
I have been using the Verizon Lumia 735 for two years after coming out of the dark ages using a flip phone. Love the phone even more after upgrading window 8.1 to 10 mobile. I am not a big app user so that does not bother me, do like the fact that Cortana connected via Bluetooth in my car will let me know when I have a text message and read it to me using the speakers in my car (will also let me respond using voice). With all the problems with text and drive accidents why do not all the OS's have this feature without paying for an app to do it. Since I also have windows 10 desktop, text can be received and sent from the desktop. I just bought an HP elite x3 Verizon compatible phone on MS store (one of the lucky ones ) hoping to extend the life of my windows 10 experience.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I have been using the Verizon Lumia 735 for two years after coming out of the dark ages using a flip phone. Love the phone even more after upgrading window 8.1 to 10 mobile. I am not a big app user so that does not bother me, do like the fact that Cortana connected via Bluetooth in my car will let me know when I have a text message and read it to me using the speakers in my car (will also let me respond using voice). With all the problems with text and drive accidents why do not all the OS's have this feature without paying for an app to do it. Since I also have windows 10 desktop, text can be received and sent from the desktop. I just bought an HP elite x3 Verizon compatible phone on MS store (one of the lucky ones ) hoping to extend the life of my windows 10 experience.

Not all Mobile OSs run Cortana 'natively' to seamlessly do this maybe? Or this is such a profound concept, I guess nobody has caught on to implement it seamlessly as Microsoft?

Joking aside, maybe there is some patents, or other road blocks and such...I don't know but if anyone could pull it off as good as Windows phones can handle I think it would be Apple.

R E Hendrix

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
I LOVE my Windows phone. Do we know how long we will be able to continue using them? I have had a couple of apps lose usage. I don't want to have to switch...:crying:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya. The BofA app will die off after July....not looking forward to that.
Wow that app held on longer than I thought. I thought I was going to miss the Wells Fargo app but since I don't do deposits on my phone, no biggie. Edge logs on every bit as quick as the app did.

Sent from my Lumia 950 on mTalk

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I LOVE my Windows phone. Do we know how long we will be able to continue using them? I have had a couple of apps lose usage. I don't want to have to switch...:crying:

As long as you use only call, sms, internet browser, and hopefully WhatsApp still support.

If Nokia 8810 reincarnation supports WhatsApp, I will get one.😄

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Wow that app held on longer than I thought. I thought I was going to miss the Wells Fargo app but since I don't do deposits on my phone, no biggie. Edge logs on every bit as quick as the app did.

Sent from my Lumia 950 on mTalk
It can be quick true. Edge does ok on most sites. I just find it awkward to use on bigger screen phones at times. The BofA app gives only what I need to see on tap at a time. I'm assuming once that app is retired their entire site will have moved to their new design....

I also think by the time most sites catch up to what Edge is built for and capable of W10M will be long gone by then. Sux because every other site heats a Windows Phone up real good while using Edge....

WinPhon

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
I bought an Alcatel Idol 3 months ago, my daughter uses my Lumia 640, and both are working great (save the lousy FB app on the low memory Lumia.)

anon(8161986)

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
still using mine till this morning when my lumia 820 of 4 years slip out of my hand and killed the screen. back to old xpress music 5800 for a few days now till i find an other or find cost effect repair

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Here's one reason I stay (mostly) on Windows: notification overkill. I bought something on Amazon yesterday and I received an email to tell me it shipped. That's great. Cortana has already placed the tracking info as she usually does but it didn't end there. My iPhone and Galaxy BOTH had to send me a text as well as a notification from the Amazon app. I don't need 3 notifications to tell me the same exact thing. Mini rant over.

Sent from my Acer Spin 1 on mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Here's one reason I stay (mostly) on Windows: notification overkill. I bought something on Amazon yesterday and I received an email to tell me it shipped. That's great. Cortana has already placed the tracking info as she usually does but it didn't end there. My iPhone and Galaxy BOTH had to send me a text as well as a notification from the Amazon app. I don't need 3 notifications to tell me the same exact thing. Mini rant over.

Sent from my Acer Spin 1 on mTalk

I believe that’s only because you have notifications set to do it. They can be adjusted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb