Who is still using a Windows Phone? Honest Question.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I believe that’s only because you have notifications set to do it. They can be adjusted.
People like you and I have the knowledge to go into a phone's settings and set them up as we please but the majority don't. These are default settings and can be rather irritating. The issue is that except for a tiny few apps their notification settings are not granular enough to personalize. I don't want every single notification from every app if there's redundancy such as email. Leave app notifications for sales alerts or coupons (Target 🎯 I'm looking squarely at you) and leave shipping notices or payment notices to email. Costco is great at this while eBay and PayPal are the worst offenders. Those 2 blow up your inbox, send texts and pop a notif. Walgreens is just as bad at telling me my meds are ready. All that's left is some Indian to send me smoke puffs.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
What about the notification that never goes away lol... Like the notorious "calls will be made over Wi-Fi". Ok I get it, let me know when it is possible to do that, but now that I know I don't need to be reminded of it every time I look in my notifications. I can't swipe it away or disable it. I mean I probably could dig around in the phone and maybe figure it out but like you said @fatclue_98, we shouldn't have to be doing brain surgery on our phones to disable something.

It seems to only be the system type notifications that do this on Android...

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I just bought an x3 (as a secondary device).Gonna try using it as my DF this week but will still keep my Android handy. I've missed this thing.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
People like you and I have the knowledge to go into a phone's settings and set them up as we please but the majority don't. These are default settings and can be rather irritating. The issue is that except for a tiny few apps their notification settings are not granular enough to personalize. I don't want every single notification from every app if there's redundancy such as email. Leave app notifications for sales alerts or coupons (Target I'm looking squarely at you) and leave shipping notices or payment notices to email. Costco is great at this while eBay and PayPal are the worst offenders. Those 2 blow up your inbox, send texts and pop a notif. Walgreens is just as bad at telling me my meds are ready. All that's left is some Indian to send me smoke puffs.

I don’t know, it doesn’t bother me that much. You’re right, many people might have trouble finding where to adjust notifications. Maybe they need a simpler way.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What about the notification that never goes away lol... Like the notorious "calls will be made over Wi-Fi".

I would guess it's for legal reasons. Like why we get all those permissions popups when trying to use an app for the first time. I wish there was a master setting with something like "I hereby allow all apps to use all requested permissions without any further ado."

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I would guess it's for legal reasons. Like why we get all those permissions popups when trying to use an app for the first time. I wish there was a master setting with something like "I hereby allow all apps to use all requested permissions without any further ado."
Good Lord that's just begging for trouble.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I'm just not inspired by the current market of smartphones. I'm gonna keep my Android/Mate 9 around for convenience but there's nothing really unique on market right now (with the exception of Blackberry Key2). So I'm gonna keep my W10M around and drive it as hard as I can, when I can moving forward. It's just unique.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Im not too keen about notifications. I never bother with them, ignore them when i haven't gotten round to disable em. Pesky things.
The only time I want notification is banking online, where they sent me PINs or TACs.

... !

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Wow this thread is still going. I'm surprised. I still have my X3 but use it rarely. I just like the size. I am on a Iphone X for personal use and a Iphone 6S for work. No issues. Still love the W10M UI. There's one guy at work with a 1020.

Sent from mTalk on my HP Elite X3

Jeep1962

May 28, 2017
Visit site
Still use my Lumia 950 as my daily phone, works still great for me. Awesome camera and no bugs at all! After about one year bought a new battery, now 24 + hours working with.

Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
really, i don't understand why Microsoft is giving inferior treatment to mobile OS platform. seriously, there's a huge opportunity for third one apart from Android and i OS.
right now Satya Nadella is behaving like a typical businessman (generating revenues) rather expanding business in the mobile market with simple but powerful "WINDOWS OS".

J Dubbs

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Nadella is behaving like a typical businessman because that's what businessmen do, they make money for their business by backing what's profitable, and dumping what's not. Windows phone got beat out in the smartphone marketplace, like it or not, and Microsoft is dumping it because it's no longer profitable.

That's what (successful) businesses do ;-)

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
really, i don't understand why Microsoft is giving inferior treatment to mobile OS platform. seriously, there's a huge opportunity for third one apart from Android and i OS.
right now Satya Nadella is behaving like a typical businessman (generating revenues) rather expanding business in the mobile market with simple but powerful "WINDOWS OS".

What opportunity is there? Blackberry tried. Microsoft tried. Others have tried. They all failed.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
My wife and I both use Windows phones. Mine is a 640 dual sim. But more and more apps I need are dying. I love the OS. Best out there. In on Win10mobile slow ting. But it has reliabilities that need fixing, which won't happen. So I'm going to have to switch to Android. Bummer. Microsoft made a mistake cutting off development, because if they want to successfully develop a mobile version of Win10, they need a group of active mobile users who can test their Win10 mobile shell decisions and features.
, yeah I don't understand their reasoning for cutting it off completely either, I would personally just invest less in the os (which would die off eventually anyway) but still would invest in UWP since app's would be win10 compatible too (which would have benefited the Surface Go etc too). Guess time will tell what their master plan is. :x

Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
they failed because of paltry push in making aggressive market, cost economics and user friendly platform. they're supposed to give leverage to phone manufactures instead of making their own handsets, can you verify the sales of google handsets when compared to other manufacturers in Asian market.
"Others have tried. They all failed." how many mobile OS platforms available in this world?. Blackberry failed, because of their extra-ordinary security features which comes with a huge price tag. irony is these things doesn't matter to a common mobile user.

asarekena

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Am still using my Lumia 950XL as a daily driver. With once a while restarts by itself and some heating. But still enjoying its picture quality. Thanks

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Started using a 950xl several weeks ago as my primary phone. My V20 was having overheating and rapid battery drain issues and didn't want to spend $$$ on a new iPhone or Android. So, I bought an unopened box 950xl off eBay. Works well so far, much better than the Idol 4S I used in the past. I'll probably wait until 5g gets going before I drop $1k on iPhone or Note.

DjW58

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
My Lumia 650 dual sim is working well. I have an Acer Liquid m330 as a backup. I want a Lumia 950 dual sim for better battery life and that will fit in the phone pocket of my work shorts(with otterbox).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon