Who is still using a Windows Phone? Honest Question.

Jeep1962

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I still use my Lumia 950 as my daily phone, camera is great and phone is stable, no issues. Hope Microsoft sends updates even after 2019! Anyone knows more about that ? (Updates)

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I think the fact that Microsoft is no longer updating the touch centric office apps speaks volumes for UWP apps and the Windows Store. I believe this is a direct result of W10 mobile failure to attract significant market share. I'm not expecting any updates to W10M beyond end of 2019 and will use my 950 XL beyond that if possible, but will be prepared to move back to Android.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
How long will W10M function? 2020 or beyond is my hope.

That depends on your definition of function. Doesn't a Symbian phone still boot up and make a call? Windows Mobile (the pre Windows Phone version)?

W10M will probably function, at least very basically, indefinitely. Its usefulness is another matter. Services and apps are already being deprecated, and will continue to do so.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Spend your money in something else, a second hand high end Android phone from 2017 with dual sim will give you at least 2 major OS update support and much longer apps support time. W10m soon will be abandonware and probably MS will pull the plug without any warning.

chiques

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I use my 950XL as my primary phone. Apps selection and support sucks but I love the phone and the OS. On the positive site the OS still gets security updates (VERY IMPORTANT TO ME). Even though this phone is like 4+ years old (as of this post) the camera outperforms the most recent Samsung and Iphone (IMO). I do confess, I purchased a Pixel for the purpose of Apps (great phone BTW) but it's a secondary phone.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Spend your money in something else, a second hand high end Android phone from 2017 with dual sim will give you at least 2 major OS update support and much longer apps support time. W10m soon will be abandonware and probably MS will pull the plug without any warning.
, be careful buying older android phones, oems tend to fail on their update promises and even if you are lucky the phone will be only be ~2 years really safe with security updates. While windows phone is safer in general and the userbase is very low (less interesting as a target).
Also I think any UWP apps you buy you can use on your pc too it doesn't matter much.

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Despite all efforts by Microsoft to make it worthless , I still use my Lumia 1020 as a daily driver. It still can do unbeatable hi-rez pictures (with some nursing) via Nokia/Lumia app -- which is my key reason to use it. Clunky as it is becoming, the phone ties to Windows 10 & Office better than the alternatives. I also like that Contacts (People) stays reliably in sync with multiple Win devices, as does OneNote. LTE reception and its hotspot speed are reliable even with marginal signal locations. Battery life is an issue but I manage (plus I have the aux photo pack).

Just yesterday, Microsoft pushed another update to it, probably security. I was fearful it would screw up things and make it slower still, which some previous updates this year have done. So far so good with 15254.241 (Win 10).

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Despite all efforts by Microsoft to make it worthless , I still use my Lumia 1020 as a daily driver. It still can do unbeatable hi-rez pictures (with some nursing) via Nokia/Lumia app -- which is my key reason to use it. Clunky as it is becoming, the phone ties to Windows 10 & Office better than the alternatives. I also like that Contacts (People) stays reliably in sync with multiple Win devices, as does OneNote. LTE reception and its hotspot speed are reliable even with marginal signal locations. Battery life is an issue but I manage (plus I have the aux photo pack).

Just yesterday, Microsoft pushed another update to it, probably security. I was fearful it would screw up things and make it slower still, which some previous updates this year have done. So far so good with 15254.241 (Win 10).

I am by far no photographer, but it is plain to see Nokia set the bar with mobile image processing. The 1020, 1520, 930, 950 and 950 XL were by far ahead of the times and in most cases still are. I own currently an XZ3 which honestly is a really good phone and has an excellent single shooter camera. But even today compared to my 950 XLs single shooter it lacks. It is an amazingly lost opportunity in just that department alone if Microsoft throws all that type of R&D away. But hey it is honestly truly their loss in the end, and my 950 XL and many other Lumias and Windows phones still work today...

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
So far so good with 15254.241 (Win 10).

I've been using a 950XL for 3 months now and really haven't been paying attention to security updates. I just checked and this update has been installed with no issues. Other apps I use appear to be updating periodically as well behind the scenes, which is good I guess. Really, the transition back to W10M has been relatively painless so far. OS is stable and I've found most of the apps I need or have been using mobile websites.

androzanigirl

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
Ive bought a lumia 1320 awesome phone got round lack if apps by using ie to shortcut websites to screen brilliant phone far superior to android phone in my opinion shame cant uograde to 10 on it tho lol

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ive bought a lumia 1320 awesome phone got round lack if apps by using ie to shortcut websites to screen brilliant phone far superior to android phone in my opinion shame cant uograde to 10 on it tho lol

It is upgradeable but the process is non-standard. It might over heat too in the process. I have a couple of 1320s but I have them mostly to the side in favor of its big brother 1520.

Chutuo P

Dec 26, 2018
Visit site
Same here: you just cannot replace a 1520 WIN10: it works great and is the perfect phaplet to me; or almost because I could not get unreal Mobiles 100$ a year plan to run on it. I also have a free google voice number at home which I cannot use on the phone because the MS store has 0 google app. I absolutely do not want to give up on that phone, but it 40$ a month on ATT; while I could get $100 a year unlimited everything on an Android. The Motorola has 3 weeks to outperform this phone or it is going back to Amazon.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Hats off to all of you still fighting the battle. While I loved my windows phones and how the os has it's unique features and I think Cortana on windows blows the other assistants away, I find android very enjoyable. I'm very happy with the move and I'm still using my 2 yr old android phone.

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Still using S4. I got another line for an android to test it out and I really have used it. Drives me nuts. MS created so much value within the OS that are only deliverer by apps on Android that Id say the "app gap" is in the Android side. Won't ever use an iPhone, but I know that's got far more built in than Android.

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Haven't logged in for about a year or so. Here's a short update:

I switched from Windows phone to Android. That's right, I sold my Microsoft Lumia 640 and got a Nokia 6 (2017) about 10 months ago. Things have been great since. But I haven't entirely left Windows phone as I've held onto my Lumia 735, which is still running WP8.1, as a backup phone. I'll never part with it.

My mum is still running with a Lumia 640 XL on W10M in 2019 but only because the iPhone XR and XS are out of her reach, otherwise she'd jump ship right away. She just doesn't use her phone as much as before. That's attributed to the 640 XL's slow and unoptimised performance under W10M, Skype's complicated and ever-changing interface, and now Skype doesn't work at all. If Microsoft had kept Skype running on WP8.1 I think she'd be back to the good ol' days of 2015. Now she uses Skype on the iPad because it retains its simple interface. And Android, although cheaper, is too difficult for her to acclimatise, unlike iOS.

And my dad doesn't need a mobile phone. :smile:

So that's it. Life is great on Android with its superior app offerings, monthly security updates (although HMD is slow rolling out the Android Pie update), the best maps service and personal assistant you can get, and Android One. Unlike Jason Ward I like my OS flavoured vanilla. :cool: Then there's HMD's styling on the Nokia 6 with its lovely all-aluminium body and chamfered edges.

All that said, I still want an iPhone.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Haven't logged in for about a year or so. Here's a short update:

I switched from Windows phone to Android. That's right, I sold my Microsoft Lumia 640 and got a Nokia 6 (2017) about 10 months ago. Things have been great since. But I haven't entirely left Windows phone as I've held onto my Lumia 735, which is still running WP8.1, as a backup phone. I'll never part with it.

My mum is still running with a Lumia 640 XL on W10M in 2019 but only because the iPhone XR and XS are out of her reach, otherwise she'd jump ship right away. She just doesn't use her phone as much as before. That's attributed to the 640 XL's slow and unoptimised performance under W10M, Skype's complicated and ever-changing interface, and now Skype doesn't work at all. If Microsoft had kept Skype running on WP8.1 I think she'd be back to the good ol' days of 2015. Now she uses Skype on the iPad because it retains its simple interface. And Android, although cheaper, is too difficult for her to acclimatise, unlike iOS.

And my dad doesn't need a mobile phone. :smile:

So that's it. Life is great on Android with its superior app offerings, monthly security updates (although HMD is slow rolling out the Android Pie update), the best maps service and personal assistant you can get, and Android One. Unlike Jason Ward I like my OS flavoured vanilla. :cool: Then there's HMD's styling on the Nokia 6 with its lovely all-aluminium body and chamfered edges.

All that said, I still want an iPhone.

I've recently bought a Nokia 6 (2018) in Black with Copper accents to replace the Lumia 950XL I had as a backup to my Nokia 8. Fantastic phones from HMD and as much as I love the 950XL I don't miss it at all, I'll keep it for the nostalgia though 😉

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss