Could Microsoft revive windows phone?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Human beings are wasting a lot of time, money and human resources on some things that should have been created just ONCE for the only involved purposes, here they are:

- Web Browser: why the hell do people on this planet need more than 1 web browser (suppose just for one platform, PC, mobile, ...)? We just need one perfect web browser managed and maintained by some International organization. I vote for something like Chrome. Other browsers should not have even born. It will save a lot of money for the world.

- PC OS, Phone OS, Phone Hardware: why the hell do people on this planet need more than 1 of these? We just need a perfect one. I vote for Windows OS, Windows Phone and some hardware base unit manufactured by just one International Organization. Other organizations can contribute but should not publish anything (as official). That will save a lot of money for the world. Android OS should have been completely dead right after born, that's the best thing God could give to the world, but he slept away and forgot doing that cool thing. iOS is a bit better, kind of worth surviving BUT still we just need one perfect thing, so just give Microsoft's stuffs the chance.

Developer will become headache-FREE, A LOT OF MONEY will be saved for the world. And the end users will always be happy, there will be no fans or anti-fans, no competition, no dispute... They just need to experience the International Products and provides feedback to help all involved developers improve them better and better.

That of course would never happen, it's too ideal. The most important key point driving all the processes here is MONEY. That's for all.

Che Guevara would be so proud of you.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Human beings are wasting a lot of time, money and human resources on some things that should have been created just ONCE for the only involved purposes, here they are:

- Web Browser: ...I vote for something like Chrome. Other browsers should not have even born...

Yet I say, "Die, Chrome, Die. And an agonizing death at that." I will never, ever cede Google/Alphabet absolute right to be the sole portal of the world wide web.

What's wrong with you that you would vote for such a thing? Their propensity to declare moral superiority as guaranteeing the right to decide what you can and can't see is horrific. And their stance that it is their inalienable right to milk your data like a cash cow is legendary.

I'll be done with tech and the internet before I'll submit to living in the hell you desire.

Why are you declaring war on freedom of choice? Not everyone wants to be beige.

And why would you want to concentrate so much power in the hands of a bureaucracy. Madness and ruin.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It's dead, Jim. Let the rotting corpse rest in peace.
Couldn't help myself.
1PALY2b.png

dotnetprono1

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
What's wrong with you that you would vote for such a thing?

Nothing wrong with me, I stand on a normal user's perspective. If Google has its right to manage a common international web browser, the source code should be public to every other organizations who can contribute. And of course that game should have some rules to ensure that Google won't take any benefit. Of course without accepting that, Google will fail, another organization can recommend itself instead ...

Why are you declaring war on freedom of choice?

The war here is for all technical companies and their hired developers, they double, triple, quadruple ... the works that human beings need to serve just one purpose.

The freedom of choice here is for all end users, but once we have just 1 perfect choice, why the hell do they need to choose any? The purpose of building a web browser is for people surfing the net for media and information, that's all.

why would you want to concentrate so much power in the hands of a bureaucracy.

As I said we need rules to constraint them from doing anything wrong, that's how one unit works and grows. If they don't agree, they're out of scope.

Just think about the idiom "Reinvent the wheel", we all have had the wheels, so just try to invent something else.

What I mean here is technical info, knowledge (about IT specifically and anything generally), common utilities should be shared. The world will be developed much faster and faster. What if all human begins used one same language (like English)? wow that is a great world that would hardly become true.

We should share as much as possible, of course we cannot share everything.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Nothing wrong with me, I stand on a normal user's perspective. If Google has its right to manage a common international web browser, the source code should be public to every other organizations who can contribute. And of course that game should have some rules to ensure that Google won't take any benefit. Of course without accepting that, Google will fail, another organization can recommend itself instead ...

The war here is for all technical companies and their hired developers, they double, triple, quadruple ... the works that human beings need to serve just one purpose.

The freedom of choice here is for all end users, but once we have just 1 perfect choice, why the hell do they need to choose any? The purpose of building a web browser is for people surfing the net for media and information, that's all.

As I said we need rules to constraint them from doing anything wrong, that's how one unit works and grows. If they don't agree, they're out of scope.

Just think about the idiom "Reinvent the wheel", we all have had the wheels, so just try to invent something else.

What I mean here is technical info, knowledge (about IT specifically and anything generally), common utilities should be shared. The world will be developed much faster and faster. What if all human begins used one same language (like English)? wow that is a great world that would hardly become true.

We should share as much as possible, of course we cannot share everything.

“The freedom of choice here is for all end users, but once we have just 1 perfect choice, why the hell do they need to choose any?”

Wow. That’s almost a word for word quote from the Cuban Constitution of 1976. There were free elections but for some reason Fidel always ran unopposed. I guess he was always the first perfect choice, why bother running?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...once we have just 1 perfect choice...

Perfect is relative: the bar is constantly moving. What is perfect now becomes flawed soon enough.

Perfect is near impossible to achieve by the "committee" method you are espousing. Committees thrive on compromise and trade off.

Human beings are imperfect creatures and thus poorly equipped to achieve perfection.

Competition drives innovation. Monopolies beget stagnation.

BTW, how many tech workers are you going to throw into unemployment? Sounds like the vast majority. So after investing heavily in an expensive education they can now be reassigned by the collective as ditch diggers and floor buffers.

And I bet I get to foot the bill to pay off their student debt.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

You have no idea what the purpose of building a web browser is.

Browsers cost hundreds of millions annually to develop and maintain, yet users don't pay for browsers. That should make it quite clear that browsers aren't built for users. Browsers are built for the corporations who make them, in an effort to further their corporate strategies, which often are diametrically opposed to the strategical goals of their competitors.

Back in 2007 Apple needed a browser that worked well on small touch devices. MS needed a browser that protected their corporate client's investments in web technology. Google needed a browser that would appeal to the mass market and allow for data mining. They are still chasing very different goals today.

To evolve a browser in radically different ways at the same time is very difficult and costly. Technical evolution with competing goals is impossible. Even if it were possible, Apple's 2007 goals represented a direct threat to MS, so there is no way Apple and MS could have cooperated on that. That too is no different today. A browser that is perfect for one corporation might be useless or even detrimental to another.

If there was only one browser, there would be no reason for any company to invest and compete in that space. Rather than getting your hypothetical "perfect browser", we'd get nothing from corporations. Five or six companies occasionally reinventing (their version of) "the wheel" is a minuscule price to pay for the benefit of competition.

What if all human begins used one same language (like English)? wow that is a great world that would hardly become true.

I take it you only speak one language? The world would become a far more boring and less innovative place as a result.

Language is not purely a communications tool. It is also the vehicle which enables elaborate and conscious thought. A language establishes the concepts and feelings we can consciously and easily think about, and languages can be very different in this regard. This is responsible for some of the differences between cultures and the differing philosophies they ascribe to.

Here too, you'd be killing a LOT of interesting stuff for a small bit of efficiency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH1SvGMY4Qs

The above video is about German, but it's true of any other language as well, including English.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If Google has its right to manage a common international web browser, the source code should be public to every other organizations who can contribute.

FWIW, this is already extant. It's known as Chromium: https://www.chromium.org/

I mostly use SRWare Iron Browser, which is Chromium based. It has all the Google eyeballs blinded and is very privacy forward. I also mix in Edge... That's for desktop. On mobile I've gone all in with Edge (for now).

But I've switched around a lot. I've tried many browsers on Windows and mobile. As my needs/wants change so does the browser I rely on. Choice is best. Not everyone has the same priorities in anything. Meaning, get a group of people and their priorities will diverge one from the other. But also, one individual over time will experience shifting priorities so that what serves today is unacceptable tomorrow.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Aw hell no! I'm already putting my wife through school on my nickel. I'm going to have to revive the old 70s bumper sticker for hitch hikers - Gas, grass or a**, nobody rides for free.

Something tells me that even those three choices have guidelines as well. Gas is gas and grass is grass but the other; I don't want to speculate on that. By the way, haven't heard that statement in many years. Thanks for the memory.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Something tells me that even those three choices have guidelines as well. Gas is gas and grass is grass but the other; I don't want to speculate on that. By the way, haven't heard that statement in many years. Thanks for the memory.

Ha ha, I knew someone like you would remember. My first car was a ‘66 Valiant with the slant 6 and you best believe it had that sticker on the passenger window. No power steering and an adventure in parallel parking. Kids today have no idea what wonderful things they’re missing out on like changing points and condensers. My predictive text couldn’t even follow the flow as I typed it out. Siri was like “WTF is a points and condenser?”

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I don't think Microsoft will ever kill off Windows Phone, just they literally cannot waste any resources on it at the moment. Once Andromeda comes out, putting the OS into a standard phone formfactor would be trivial. I don't know if they will backport any existing phones... maybe just the ones with Continuum support? Either way they still support UWP and should be able to survive with only a little bit of updating.

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
"Can Microsoft still resurrect Windows 10 Mobile?"

Interesting to note that the title of the thread is referring to a Windows Phone, not necessarily w10m... Windows on a Phone it an inevitable thing in my mind at this point, it just may not be what people traditionally expect.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Interesting to note that the title of the thread is referring to a Windows Phone, not necessarily w10m... Windows on a Phone it an inevitable thing in my mind at this point, it just may not be what people traditionally expect.
I guess it really comes down to what our definition of a smartphone is.

If it's just "a pocketable device with a cellular radio", then yes, that is inevitable.

However, I think the vast majority of people see a smartphone primarily as " a pocketable, always connected and touch focused app launching platform".

For MS, particularly the last part about apps isn't happening anytime soon. Neither definition of a smartphone is necessarily right or wrong, nor are they the only possible definitions. That's why this debate is still going strong today and won't be resolved anytime soon.

Ironically, the point about W10M is absolutely clear and doesn't require us to accept multiple definitions, yet that almost nobody understands. If Andromeda is in fact W10 without Win32 (currently there is a lot of conflicting information on this), then that is W10M right there, just marketed under a different name. Then smartphones may or may not be going away (based on your definition), but W10M clearly isn't.

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Yea, I like the fact that it is moving forward, I don't want to live in the past, but I think it is important that people don't lose their productivity or functionality, and sometimes when things are suddenly yanked from their hands there is a period of awkwardness and feelings of alienation even betrayal, whether real or imagined because of being unfamiliar with the new changes. These can lead consumers to bailing out and moving to a different platform figuring well I have to start from scratch I may as well go to a platform that isn't going to keep uprooting my life and showering me with disappointment. I would like Microsoft to avoid any further heading down that path, I like their platform and personally I don't really care about rigid definitions of what a device classification is, ya know? I just want to consolidate life to a more practical streamlined existence. Gadgets are fun, but in passing into my 40's things started changing and I have adopted a more practical approach to life, now that I am approaching 50 it is even more so, especially with 2 teenagers in my household whom I have taught to be tech savvy, an expensive choice to say the least, lol.

I am just hoping to see a device that is more than just a phone that can play games. I wanna see a device that has continuum and that can meet multiple levels of need ranging from sketching, taking notes, making presentations and researching using UWP apps and the Internet.
The reason I really want win32 is that I rely on Firefox with Adblock Plus. I cant stand any of the other mainstream browsers so full of junk and/or vulnerabilities, and I am unsure if Firefox with Adblock will be available in the new environment. There are other applications I like, but Firefox is my mainstay, I tried Chrome and Edge but they drive me nuts.
I really REALLY cant stand ads blasting me from every direction. Makes me feel like hulking out man...lol.

Chris Jennings3

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

- Web Browser: why the hell do people on this planet need more than 1 web browser (suppose just for one platform, PC, mobile, ...)? We just need one perfect web browser managed and maintained by some International organization. I vote for something like Chrome. Other browsers should not have even born. It will save a lot of money for the world.

- PC OS, Phone OS, Phone Hardware: why the hell do people on this planet need more than 1 of these? We just need a perfect one. I vote for Windows OS, Windows Phone and some hardware base unit manufactured by just one International Organization. Other organizations can contribute but should not publish anything (as official). That will save a lot of money for the world. Android OS should have been completely dead right after born, that's the best thing God could give to the world, but he slept away and forgot doing that cool thing. iOS is a bit better, kind of worth surviving BUT still we just need one perfect thing, so just give Microsoft's stuffs the chance.

Developer will become headache-FREE, A LOT OF MONEY will be saved for the world. And the end users will always be happy, there will be no fans or anti-fans, no competition, no dispute... They just need to experience the International Products and provides feedback to help all involved developers improve them better and better.

That of course would never happen, it's too ideal. The most important key point driving all the processes here is MONEY. That's for all.
Simple answer is. No competition = no innovation.

livejazz

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I like the fact that it is moving forward, I don't want to live in the past, but I think it is important that people don't lose their productivity or functionality, and sometimes when things are suddenly yanked from their hands there is a period of awkwardness and feelings of alienation even betrayal, whether real or imagined because of being unfamiliar with the new changes. These can lead consumers to bailing out and moving to a different platform figuring well I have to start from scratch I may as well go to a platform that isn't going to keep uprooting my life and showering me with disappointment. I would like Microsoft to avoid any further heading down that path, I like their platform and personally I don't really care about rigid definitions of what a device classification is, ya know? I just want to consolidate life to a more practical streamlined existence. Gadgets are fun, but in passing into my 40's things started changing and I have adopted a more practical approach to life, now that I am approaching 50 it is even more so, especially with 2 teenagers in my household whom I have taught to be tech savvy, an expensive choice to say the least, lol.

I am just hoping to see a device that is more than just a phone that can play games. I wanna see a device that has continuum and that can meet multiple levels of need ranging from sketching, taking notes, making presentations and researching using UWP apps and the Internet.
The reason I really want win32 is that I rely on Firefox with Adblock Plus. I cant stand any of the other mainstream browsers so full of junk and/or vulnerabilities, and I am unsure if Firefox with Adblock will be available in the new environment. There are other applications I like, but Firefox is my mainstay, I tried Chrome and Edge but they drive me nuts.
I really REALLY cant stand ads blasting me from every direction. Makes me feel like hulking out man...lol.

What Chris said, plus...... Pricing. Capitalism sums it up, but some people think capitalism is a bad word.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss