The Galaxy S9 has a launch date, will it be the phone you jump to?

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
The Galaxy is a fast shooter. I owned the S8+ and like what that camera has to offer. Sony came close 720p 960fps but no variable aperture. I am not a camera buff so a lumia with Zeiss OIS is good for me any day...
The one thing I was not fond of a whole lot was Samsungs camera app UI. For one, at the time Bixby would not leave me alone and I disliked that. It seemed that the App quality/usability just was not what I hoped from Samsung. Then again, they have a very large crowd to attend to and some things are tailored because of that.
Yeah Sony did some amazing things that went kinda under the radar because its Sony. I think they should've kept developing the implementation of the super slow motion video though to make it easier to capture what you wanted to freeze but at least they pulled it off. I'm also waiting to see what Nokia has at MWC. I would love a 20mp Pureview type Android device with a much better camera UI or the Lumia camera UI with more features like custom color temperature and up to 10 seconds exposures.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Enjoyed/enjoy (past-n-present) my Sammy's for the most part but the curved display trend has killed off me considering their high-end offerings. Already have one w/curves and definitely prefer them without.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm recently converted to Blackberry Android. Privacy forward and security conscious. The features they add in (skin) are useful or easily scaled back or shut down. BB Hub is fantastic. Using the Hub I have all my Outlook on there and Google has no part, completely quarantined. I do have a Gmail I'm signed into on the phone only for Play Services. Everything else that is Google is disabled on my phone.

So which one did you get, K1, Motion, other? I jumped back into the BB ring (last 2012) and picked up the Motion. By no means a powerhouse but didn't cost me an arm or a leg either. Really enjoying what it has to offer on the privacy, security and productivity front, 2 months in and absolutely no regrets - and that battery! :love:

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I moved on from my Lumia 950 to an S8.MSFT really had something with W10M.

Attachments

• WIN_20180126_23_57_53_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180126_23_57_53_Pro.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So which one did you get, K1, Motion, other? I jumped back into the BB ring (last 2012) and picked up the Motion. By no means a powerhouse but didn't cost me an arm or a leg either. Really enjoying what it has to offer on the privacy, security and productivity front, 2 months in and absolutely no regrets - and that battery! :love:

I traded a Lumia 1020, spare (not yet installed) battery and a camera grip for a DTEK50 (basically the Alcatel Idol 4 in a BB wrapper). If I can find a good deal on a DTEK60 (Idol 4S Windows clone) I'll jump on it.

I agree, BB has their act together for those who don't want candy colored Android and are privacy minded.

blazewon22

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Nope, love my iPhone 8plus. Will wait for the next iPhone release. That being said, these companies need to move to a 2-3 year release schedule as they are just making stupid features that aren't really innovative and cannibalize their sales.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Yeah Sony did some amazing things that went kinda under the radar because its Sony. I think they should've kept developing the implementation of the super slow motion video though to make it easier to capture what you wanted to freeze but at least they pulled it off. I'm also waiting to see what Nokia has at MWC. I would love a 20mp Pureview type Android device with a much better camera UI or the Lumia camera UI with more features like custom color temperature and up to 10 seconds exposures.

Nokia is suppose to bring the Lumia camera/Nokia camera UI back.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Nope, love my iPhone 8plus. Will wait for the next iPhone release. That being said, these companies need to move to a 2-3 year release schedule as they are just making stupid features that aren't really innovative and cannibalize their sales.

Have to agree with you. Besides what you stated support (updates) for us users suffers too because IMHO these manufactures now focus on the new leaving the previous gens out in the cold. We're speaking Android as Apple wins here. Now if MSFT had kept on the straight and narrow w/W10M truly think they'd be in forefront in the support department, suppose they already are in one sense if the amount of updates already received were factored in. Sadly though we all know that's supposedly coming to an end in the near future.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Will Microsoft be taking trade ins on Lumia 950? If they are, that could push me into getting a S9, otherwise, I think I will stick with the Pixel 2. I agree with some others, I really don't like the way aspect ratios are going in phones these days. Stick with 16x9. Where on earth did 18.5x9 from???

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I just called MS and they claimed that "best case" was $50 for trade in value. At that point I would probably keep it, or sell it here or Swappa.

Will Microsoft be taking trade ins on Lumia 950? If they are, that could push me into getting a S9, otherwise, I think I will stick with the Pixel 2. I agree with some others, I really don't like the way aspect ratios are going in phones these days. Stick with 16x9. Where on earth did 18.5x9 from???

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I just called MS and they claimed that "best case" was $50 for trade in value. At that point I would probably keep it, or sell it here or Swappa.

They are following the device trade in criteria as the one listed on Samsung's website. Except I am not sure about the cracked screen devices.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 950 is worth £55 here in the UK if you send it in for recycling. That's about $76.50 at the current exchange rate.

Ya doing a trade-in is bogus, unless they offer (in Samsung's case) cracked screen trade-in. You can get 100.00 for a cracked S7 S7 Active or S7 edge. Otherwise some one surely would by an S8 or S8+ for more than 350 in good condition. A lumia 950 XL can sell easily for 150...or use to sell easily :-(

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Recycled my old Lumia 930 the other week, best price was £21 here in the UK ( $29 at todays exchange rate ) easiest & hassle free way of getting rid of a unwanted phone.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I don't think so. I just went from the s8 to the keyONE and have to say I'm far more impressed thus far with the keyONE than I was with the s8. Yes there's a bit of a speed difference but for my usage I don't need the Sammy phones.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Overall as far as Android goes I have always liked the way Oneplus has built their hardware and OS details around their user base by hands-on interaction. And since the phone can be boot loader unlocked out of the gate you can go completely google-less as much as you want.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I agree, the OnePlus 5 was perfect in my eyes, except for a mediocre camera. That kept me away. I'm reading that Nokia 9 might have an under screen fingerprint scanner which if it has a 3.5mm jack are my 2 most desirable features behind a top notch camera that l assume they will have.

Overall as far as Android goes I have always liked the way Oneplus has built their hardware and OS details around their user base by hands-on interaction. And since the phone can be boot loader unlocked out of the gate you can go completely google-less as much as you want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss