Sony, LG and HTC are making phones (even in losses) why Microsoft stops making phones?

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I know Andromeda device is coming but Microsoft stops making phones due to losses.On other side Sony,LG and htc is making smartphones even when their devices are not so popular also they are in losses.

Last edited:

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Re: Sony, LG and HTC are making phones (even in losses) why has Microsoft stops making phones?

A fair question. I think the main difference is that the others are making phones for a popular phone platform, Android and they have a better shot, although it's a long shot at catching Android leader, Samsung. And they can make a decent profit with their niche. Microsoft is trying to support a whole platform, that other manufacturers have all but abandoned. The apps are not there, the support from other manufacturers is all but nil, carriers won't carry their platform, and lastly people are JUST not buying Windows phones! YES you have a few hold outs, such as my friend who bought my 950, BUT they just can't sell enough phones to make a difference!

Good question though!

covfefe

Banned
Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Re: Sony, LG and HTC are making phones (even in losses) why has Microsoft stops making phones?

Because they have a vision that mobile is the future and therefore short and medium term losses are worth it, while Satay only wants his cloud bonus NOW.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I think the better question would be, why is LG, HTC, and Sony still making phones?

But joking aside, these companies are working in the Android space, and their best hope is to build a phone that is good enough to differentiate themselves from Samsung. In Microsoft's case, they were personally responsible for the entire platform, the phones, and the operating system, and trying to maintain the deals with carriers and app developers to keep the platform vibrant. That is where WP/WM failed in the market.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

The reported losses could be an accounting tactic. Or, the device itself is a loss leader, resulting in profits in other areas. If these companies didn't see it as viable, they'd quit. They're not quitting.

Microsoft evidently didn't see the end of the tunnel. Maybe for them it was a dead end.

One thing we do know; it's not as simple as it may seem.

-My 2¢ as an armchair CEO

Michael Flintof

May 28, 2018
Visit site
Sony, LG and HTC have not given away and are still hopeful, that's why they are still making phones.
Mobile and Android is the future stars. Even Nokia started making android phones despite of their heavy loses and even they were out of the market for 3 to years.
Well, These three companies have still good past record then Nokia, so definitely they will try even harder to catch up the market with their brand name like Apple and iPHONE.

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Sony, LG and HTC have not given away and are still hopeful, that's why they are still making phones.
Mobile and Android is the future stars. Even Nokia started making android phones despite of their heavy loses and even they were out of the market for 3 to years.
Well, These three companies have still good past record then Nokia, so definitely they will try even harder to catch up the market with their brand name like Apple and iPHONE.
Nokia is not making Android phones. HMD Global is making Android phones and they have licensed the Nokia name to use on their phones because no one would buy a phone branded HMD Global.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte