Any CopperheadOS users here?

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
After using exclusively Windows mobile for 15 years now I'm finally mentally ready for a change I think. I have never used an iOS or Android device before tho. I'm very serious about security and privacy nowadays and I've narrowed it down to CopperheadOS (Android) on a Pixel 2 XL for this reason. A couple years ago I even left Windows as my desktop/laptop OS in favor of Qubes OS (Linux), which I freakin LOVE btw.

My question is, has anyone here made the switch from a Windows mobile to CopperheadOS? What pros and cons were there for you?

I can find comparisons, sorta, on going from Windows > Android and also from Android > CopperheadOS, but since I've never used Android personally, I'm wondering what I would miss the most going from Windows to CopperheadOS specifically.

My 950 XL I've had since release is still fine, and I even keep a backup spare. I just want something more security/privacy focused. I mean, MAYBE if the new Windows Andromeda handset were dropping in the next 6 months I would try that first, but I feel like that's a year off at best. Plus lets face it, it will be as much of a mobile spy/tracking device as an iPhone and mainstream Android phone. Although I will say, that with my 950 XL, I do feel a fair sense of control over what apps I give access to my camera/location and I make an effort to opt out of everything I can.

Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the chief concern for you is that Copperhead lacks Google Play Services stock, which rules out many, but not all Android apps. Be careful there.

Support window is only as long as Google officially supports their phones, which is still inferior to iOS phones by a couple years. In fact, I think for privacy, an iPhone may be a better overall mainstream offering unless you need something more unique and still want to stick with Android. As for security, for most including people like you and me, a stock Pixel should be alright as long as updates are still coming down the pipe.

Just my two cents though.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Copperhead lacks Google Play Services stock

Custom ROMs are not allowed to package Play services with their ROMs. Google Apps (GApps) can be flashed separately. In the end, it's the same as if you purchased a phone from say Samsung, it's just an extra step to take when converting your phone into a custom ROM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon