Why Microsoft's Mobile Efforts Failed

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
MS failed, not WP. There is a difference.

Do you think if Steve Jobs was in charge of Windows phone division, it would have failed? I don't think so.

Forget about apps, there was so much scope for improvement in the strategy itself. A phone with continuum without a portable 10" touch display or something, are you kidding me? How am I supposed to use that feature? I cannot carry a 22" monitor with me everywhere. I mean what was Microsoft's thinktank even doing?

People could have used that portable display as a e-reader or may be to write on it with surface pen. At least it made some sense.

The iPhone came out followed by Android and took over the market. It hasn’t changed 10 years later. I had a Windows device, a Palm, a BlackBerry....all good devices but it didn’t matter because they couldn’t compete. BlackBerry owned the business model but consumers decided they wanted something too. The timing was just right.
Some day the next thing will come along and all this will start over again.

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
The iPhone came out followed by Android and took over the market. It hasn’t changed 10 years later. I had a Windows device, a Palm, a BlackBerry....all good devices but it didn’t matter because they couldn’t compete. BlackBerry owned the business model but consumers decided they wanted something too. The timing was just right.
Some day the next thing will come along and all this will start over again.

Consumers did not decide. Microsoft did. Many people still wanted to use Windows phones. Look at countries like Germany, England, India. WP market share expanded to as high as 10% in those countries.

If WP was allowed to sprint, it would have left Android and iOS way behind. But it's wings were clipped just at the right time.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Consumers do not decide. They just follow. The important question is where you want to lead them? Think about it...

I agree, it’s a two way street.
Apple produced a device but had to show (market) how it could be used by consumers. It didn’t happen immediately but when it did it exploded. My point being at that time Microsoft and BlackBerry, for instance, didn’t have time to switch gears. You can’t develop and change technology overnight. The fight was over. Apps, music, etc became the norm.
Interesting conversation. Steve Jobs was brilliant. Who will be the next one to lead the way?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99