Blocking contact and changing number in Whatsapp

shoeshine stan

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
I want to block a contact on WhatsApp, then delete this chat and change my number.

If after that I remove this contact out of my WhatsApp blocked list (unblock), to remove it from my system, will that contact be able to write me on WhatsApp again?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
If you're going to change your number, only the people with your new number will be able to contact you. Same principle applies to whatsapp.

Congrats on your first post :)

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Well his concern is valid I think. When you tell WhatsApp that you change your phone number (to keep groups and what not active) this person may get that number still if they still have the old chat on their end.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Wow thanks, but how would WhatsApp know that it's you? the app only works with your number? So I thought getting a new number meant starting over lol

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow thanks, but how would WhatsApp know that it's you? the app only works with your number? So I thought getting a new number meant starting over lol

Verified by code received by sms or provided by voice call if sms not working.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Verified by code received by sms or provided by voice call if sms not working.

That much I know :p just wondering how WhatsApp would know that the person behind the new number is the same person that had the old number and might want to be in the old chat groups. Seems kind of intrusive

shoeshine stan

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
That much I know :p just wondering how WhatsApp would know that the person behind the new number is the same person that had the old number and might want to be in the old chat groups. Seems kind of intrusive

Seems intrusive indeed if that's actually the case. If the old chat on the other person's phone is enough to contact someone who has a new number.

I hoped that after a number change only the person with the new number can get back in touch with chats and only then they can reply again.

The question is if the Whatsapp Servers connect old chats even without having the correct number in the contacts list or only connect to a certain number (in this case the new one so the person without the new number can't contact through the old chat).

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I guess the only way to find out, is to wait for OP to respond :/ or get a new number. I'm not getting a new number anytime soon lol, but I'll check among my friends

shoeshine stan

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
I've seen friends use the change number feature and it's stated so and so changed their number

Was that in a group chat? I read that this states only in group chats.

However, if the number change happens while the old contact is blocked, and after the number change the old contact is just removed from the blocked list it shouldn't show I hope. Would sound like a privacy issue to me.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry @shoeshine stan
That's about all I know. It's kind of odd this isn't spelled out anywhere.

If it's really important for you to know, maybe ask or just get a voip number briefly and try out your scenario! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99