03-02-2019 08:10 PM
71 123
tools
    Thanks for sharing. What's your new daily device?
    11-18-2018 11:41 PM
    Strike 1: No more updates to the OS
    Strike 2: No new devices to run the unsupported OS
    Strike 3: No new apps to run on non-existent devices using an unsupported OS.

Yeah, it's over and done with. It was a good run, and there will be people holding on until the bitter end. My 950XL is now sitting in the drawer with the battery removed. I'll hang on to it as an emergency backup for now, but the days of it being my daily use device are long gone.
    11-18-2018 11:42 PM
    I'm using an Essential PH-1 running Android 9.0 Pie. I really like the stock Android experience without all the OEM bloatware. And I typically get the monthly security updates within a few hours of Google releasing them. The phone is quick and responsive, and does everything I need without all the extra stuff I don't use.
    11-19-2018 12:39 AM
    I'm using an Essential PH-1 running Android 9.0 Pie. I really like the stock Android experience without all the OEM bloatware. And I typically get the monthly security updates within a few hours of Google releasing them. The phone is quick and responsive, and does everything I need without all the extra stuff I don't use.
    Looks like a great phone! A bit outside of my budget, or I'd consider it. I currently have a Lumia 925 which I love, but it is 5 years old. So I'm thinking of getting a Lumia 950.
    11-19-2018 01:47 PM
    Looks like a great phone! A bit outside of my budget, or I'd consider it. I currently have a Lumia 925 which I love, but it is 5 years old. So I'm thinking of getting a Lumia 950.
    You can pick one up from Amazon right now for $234.32 which is quite a bit less than buying direct from Essential. Although the deal from Essential includes the 360 camera and case as well.
    11-19-2018 02:31 PM
    I believe support for latest Windows 10 Mobile version ends December 2019. To me that's the official death date. Not sure where a few months is coming from.
    That's just 13 months, wouldn't you consider that a "few" or would you prefer "a baker's dozen"?
    11-19-2018 02:45 PM
    You can pick one up from Amazon right now for $234.32 which is quite a bit less than buying direct from Essential. Although the deal from Essential includes the 360 camera and case as well.
    Thanks for sharing that. That is a lot better than what's on the Essential website. Do you think it's better than the Lumia 950's? I value your opinion knowing that you own a Lumia 950XL.
    11-19-2018 02:59 PM
    That's just 13 months, wouldn't you consider that a "few" or would you prefer "a baker's dozen"?
    So if support is planned to end December of 2019, sounds to me like I shouldn't consider buying a Lumia 950. Advice, and feedback appreciated.
    11-19-2018 03:01 PM
    Has anyone considered a BLU phone as a Windows replacement?
    11-19-2018 03:03 PM
    Thanks for sharing that. That is a lot better than what's on the Essential website. Do you think it's better than the Lumia 950's? I value your opinion knowing that you own a Lumia 950XL.
    The 950XL has the better camera, especially in low light situations. But the Essential is getting monthly software updates that have been making its camera better each time. The Essential is really quick and has no OEM bloat software installed. It runs pretty much stock Android 9.0 Pie with just the Essential Camera app added. With the titanium banding and ceramic back, it's very durable, though I still recommend using a protective case to keep the front glass safe. The Essential has a very small camera notch, so if you are in the anti-notch camp you may want to take a longer look at it. They have also released the 360° camera and a hi-def audio adapter for the phone, so it adds to the hardware capabilities without needing to buy a new phone. And since it is on the Android-One program, you get security updates the same day that Google releases them. I've even had them come in hours ahead of a co-worker who has a Google Pixel 2 phone.
    11-19-2018 03:44 PM
    Has anyone considered a BLU phone as a Windows replacement?
    The BLU phones were a mess, I had 2 of them. They're cheap for a reason.
    11-19-2018 04:03 PM
    The 950XL has the better camera, especially in low light situations. But the Essential is getting monthly software updates that have been making its camera better each time. The Essential is really quick and has no OEM bloat software installed. It runs pretty much stock Android 9.0 Pie with just the Essential Camera app added. With the titanium banding and ceramic back, it's very durable, though I still recommend using a protective case to keep the front glass safe. The Essential has a very small camera notch, so if you are in the anti-notch camp you may want to take a longer look at it. They have also released the 360° camera and a hi-def audio adapter for the phone, so it adds to the hardware capabilities without needing to buy a new phone. And since it is on the Android-One program, you get security updates the same day that Google releases them. I've even had them come in hours ahead of a co-worker who has a Google Pixel 2 phone.
    One thing to watch for with the Essential is the horrible T-Mobile connectivity. It supports the proper bands but the execution is lacking. Check Android forums and you'll see it's a widespread problem. I couldn't get mine to work properly outside of wifi calling range.
    11-19-2018 04:06 PM
    Thanks for all of that information. I appreciate it. I was looking at some reviews, and I like it in the Halo Gray with the matte finish. Amazon has a used model for $265.00 but it may have some wear to the screen. Not really feeling that.

I'd rather not switch at all to Android, but it sounds like the support for Windows mobile will come to an end in December of 2019. What would you recommend? Have you heard of the Nokia 6? How was your transition to Android? Thanks!
    11-19-2018 04:11 PM
    I just got back from a 2 wk business trip (down to the Florida Panhandle) using just the 950XL as my only means of communications and it didn't pi$$ me off once, so I hope to hold out until MS, or some other manufacturer, introduces a W10 mobile device...fingers crossed.
    Kevin Rush, fatclue_98 and Joe920 like this.
    11-19-2018 04:36 PM
    Nah, few is 2 to 3 months for me. I figure it'll still work after 12-19 for some time, so its actually more than 13 months. Who knows, MS may extend support for stubborn users like myself.
    11-19-2018 11:47 PM
    I'd rather not switch at all to Android, but it sounds like the support for Windows mobile will come to an end in December of 2019. What would you recommend? Have you heard of the Nokia 6? How was your transition to Android? Thanks!
    I really wasn't looking forward to switching to Android myself. Mostly because the limited exposure I've had with it was with my step-son's Samsung phone which has it's own custom launcher and apps installed. It just seemed too clunky and convoluted for me compared to W10M. But once I actually got my Essential and updated to Android 9.0 Pie I was pretty impressed how nice stock Android was compared to the Samsung devices.

If you can hang on to your current W10M device or even pick up a newer model for under $200 then it would probably be worth holding out a little longer. But if you think you are ready to make the switch to Android I would highly recommend you do a little research into whether or not the device you are interested in will be updated to Android 9.0 or if you would be stuck with Android 7.x or 8.x on the device. Even the latest and greatest Samsung devices will likely not be upgraded until some time next year. There are only a few devices (Google Pixel line and the Essential) that are already running Android 9.0, and the Nokia 7 is expected to be the next to get the update. Nokia has confirmed that the 6.0 and 6.1 will be updated as well, but they haven't given a target date yet.

List of devices expected to get Android 9.0 Pie
    11-20-2018 04:29 AM
    That's a price that's hard to beat but it looks like it may have gone up. Unless I'm looking at a different page. Would you happen to have a link for the $234.32 price? Thanks!
    11-21-2018 10:12 AM
    I figured the Lumia would have a better camera, seems that way for the entire line. When I've compared my Lumia 925 to other phones, the camera specs are usually better on the Lumia side. But if you're saying that there have been improvements made to the camera on the Essential, it could be worth trying it out.

I am trying to teach myself how to shoot digital, and the manual options on the Lumia allow me to learn before investing in a DSLR camera. But there might be some apps on the Android side that may still let me do the same. The camera may not be a deal breaker. It sounds like you've found a way to work around it, and that didn't stop you from moving on.
    11-21-2018 10:18 AM
    One thing to watch for with the Essential is the horrible T-Mobile connectivity. It supports the proper bands but the execution is lacking. Check Android forums and you'll see it's a widespread problem. I couldn't get mine to work properly outside of wifi calling range.
    Thanks. At one point I was thinking of switching to T-Mobile, but decided to stick with AT&T.
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-21-2018 10:23 AM
    The BLU phones were a mess, I had 2 of them. They're cheap for a reason.
    Thanks. The more I learn about the Essential phone, the more I think I'll scratch the BLU phones off of my list.
    11-21-2018 10:25 AM
    That's a price that's hard to beat but it looks like it may have gone up. Unless I'm looking at a different page. Would you happen to have a link for the $234.32 price? Thanks!
    The price and availability changes day to day, so it doesn't surprise me that the price has gone up again. Just keep checking and you will probably find the price come back down soon.
    11-21-2018 03:58 PM
    The price and availability changes day to day, so it doesn't surprise me that the price has gone up again. Just keep checking and you will probably find the price come back down soon.
    Thanks. I've been looking on eBay, and there are some that are fairly priced.

How has your transition gone from Windows to Android? I see there's a Microsoft Launcher app that seems really well made. Have you installed it? I'm also concerned about transferring my contacts, and data. I guess I'll have to visit an AT&T store.
    11-21-2018 08:52 PM
    Thanks. I've been looking on eBay, and there are some that are fairly priced.

How has your transition gone from Windows to Android? I see there's a Microsoft Launcher app that seems really well made. Have you installed it? I'm also concerned about transferring my contacts, and data. I guess I'll have to visit an AT&T store.
    Transferring my contacts was super simple for me. I just had to login to my Hotmail account on my PC via a web browser and then export my contact list as a .CSV file. Then I logged in to the GMail account I setup for Android and imported that file to my contacts. Took only a few minutes.

I tried the Microsoft Launcher, and it works pretty well. I switched back to the stock Android launcher after a week or two and just have my phone set-up with a minimalist home page now. I only have the Phone, Messaging, Edge, Duo and Camera icon on the lower quick bar. Nothing else on the home page besides a daily wall paper.

As far as getting used to Android goes, I think it was a fairly smooth transition. I still miss the Live Tiles, but there are plenty of Widgets available if you really want something similar.
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-22-2018 04:26 AM
    What's your thoughts
    Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Technically "windows phone" was discontinued and replaced by Windows 10 Mobile. What are YOUR thoughts?
    11-22-2018 09:43 AM
    Transferring my contacts was super simple for me. I just had to login to my Hotmail account on my PC via a web browser and then export my contact list as a .CSV file. Then I logged in to the GMail account I setup for Android and imported that file to my contacts. Took only a few minutes.

I tried the Microsoft Launcher, and it works pretty well. I switched back to the stock Android launcher after a week or two and just have my phone set-up with a minimalist home page now. I only have the Phone, Messaging, Edge, Duo and Camera icon on the lower quick bar. Nothing else on the home page besides a daily wall paper.

As far as getting used to Android goes, I think it was a fairly smooth transition. I still miss the Live Tiles, but there are plenty of Widgets available if you really want something similar.
    Re: Regish,
    I'm sure the opposite would be true too? Does Google/Android make it easy to move your contacts from Google/Android? Respectfully, your description of your Android Start screen sounds like a major step backwards from the design and user interface of Windows Mobile Phone. I understand that how each of us set up our individual start screens is a personal choice. My personal choice is to continue using Windows Mobile Phone (Windows 10 Mobile) as long as I can. Hopefully by then there will be more choices available.
    Best Wishes
    Last edited by Kevin Rush; 11-22-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    11-22-2018 09:46 AM
71 123