is windows phone dead

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Okay then, it's as alive as Symbian. :)
Symbian hasn't received any security updates in years. Windows sends them every month on Patch Tuesday at 1:00PM Eastern. Let's have this chat again next December for the trillionth time and see what's truly going down.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
My thoughts are that this is the 999,999th thread on this subject.

You beat me to it :)

Windows Phone is dead, not right now, but in a few months it will be. Right now it's in a comotosed vegatative state. Being kept alive by machines, owned by the few hangers on. Everyone else read the obituary and moved on.

Last edited:

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
You beat me to it :)

Windows Phone is dead, not right now, but in a few weeks it will be. Right now it's in a comotosed vegatative state. Being kept alive by machines, owned by the few hangers on. Everyone else read the obituary and moved on.

in a few weeks? where do you get that idea?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
in a few weeks? where do you get that idea?

That's a typo, sorry. Should be, in a few months. I fixed my post. Basically the time literally is running out on Windows Phone as a platform. It would be nice if MS can create a third ecosystem in the wake of Google's EU antitrust ruling, but I doubt they can and I don't think Andromeda will amount to much either.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I believe support for latest Windows 10 Mobile version ends December 2019. To me that's the official death date. Not sure where a few months is coming from.

qbenguy

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Strike 1: No more updates to the OS
Strike 2: No new devices to run the unsupported OS
Strike 3: No new apps to run on non-existent devices using an unsupported OS.

Yeah, it's over and done with. It was a good run, and there will be people holding on until the bitter end. My 950XL is now sitting in the drawer with the battery removed. I'll hang on to it as an emergency backup for now, but the days of it being my daily use device are long gone.

Thanks for sharing. What's your new daily device?

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. What's your new daily device?

I'm using an Essential PH-1 running Android 9.0 Pie. I really like the stock Android experience without all the OEM bloatware. And I typically get the monthly security updates within a few hours of Google releasing them. The phone is quick and responsive, and does everything I need without all the extra stuff I don't use.

qbenguy

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm using an Essential PH-1 running Android 9.0 Pie. I really like the stock Android experience without all the OEM bloatware. And I typically get the monthly security updates within a few hours of Google releasing them. The phone is quick and responsive, and does everything I need without all the extra stuff I don't use.

Looks like a great phone! A bit outside of my budget, or I'd consider it. I currently have a Lumia 925 which I love, but it is 5 years old. So I'm thinking of getting a Lumia 950.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Looks like a great phone! A bit outside of my budget, or I'd consider it. I currently have a Lumia 925 which I love, but it is 5 years old. So I'm thinking of getting a Lumia 950.

You can pick one up from Amazon right now for $234.32 which is quite a bit less than buying direct from Essential. Although the deal from Essential includes the 360 camera and case as well.

qbenguy

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
You can pick one up from Amazon right now for $234.32 which is quite a bit less than buying direct from Essential. Although the deal from Essential includes the 360 camera and case as well.

Thanks for sharing that. That is a lot better than what's on the Essential website. Do you think it's better than the Lumia 950's? I value your opinion knowing that you own a Lumia 950XL.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for sharing that. That is a lot better than what's on the Essential website. Do you think it's better than the Lumia 950's? I value your opinion knowing that you own a Lumia 950XL.

The 950XL has the better camera, especially in low light situations. But the Essential is getting monthly software updates that have been making its camera better each time. The Essential is really quick and has no OEM bloat software installed. It runs pretty much stock Android 9.0 Pie with just the Essential Camera app added. With the titanium banding and ceramic back, it's very durable, though I still recommend using a protective case to keep the front glass safe. The Essential has a very small camera notch, so if you are in the anti-notch camp you may want to take a longer look at it. They have also released the 360° camera and a hi-def audio adapter for the phone, so it adds to the hardware capabilities without needing to buy a new phone. And since it is on the Android-One program, you get security updates the same day that Google releases them. I've even had them come in hours ahead of a co-worker who has a Google Pixel 2 phone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The 950XL has the better camera, especially in low light situations. But the Essential is getting monthly software updates that have been making its camera better each time. The Essential is really quick and has no OEM bloat software installed. It runs pretty much stock Android 9.0 Pie with just the Essential Camera app added. With the titanium banding and ceramic back, it's very durable, though I still recommend using a protective case to keep the front glass safe. The Essential has a very small camera notch, so if you are in the anti-notch camp you may want to take a longer look at it. They have also released the 360° camera and a hi-def audio adapter for the phone, so it adds to the hardware capabilities without needing to buy a new phone. And since it is on the Android-One program, you get security updates the same day that Google releases them. I've even had them come in hours ahead of a co-worker who has a Google Pixel 2 phone.
One thing to watch for with the Essential is the horrible T-Mobile connectivity. It supports the proper bands but the execution is lacking. Check Android forums and you'll see it's a widespread problem. I couldn't get mine to work properly outside of wifi calling range.

qbenguy

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for all of that information. I appreciate it. I was looking at some reviews, and I like it in the Halo Gray with the matte finish. Amazon has a used model for $265.00 but it may have some wear to the screen. Not really feeling that.

I'd rather not switch at all to Android, but it sounds like the support for Windows mobile will come to an end in December of 2019. What would you recommend? Have you heard of the Nokia 6? How was your transition to Android? Thanks!

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I just got back from a 2 wk business trip (down to the Florida Panhandle) using just the 950XL as my only means of communications and it didn't pi$$ me off once, so I hope to hold out until MS, or some other manufacturer, introduces a W10 mobile device...fingers crossed.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
That's just 13 months, wouldn't you consider that a "few" or would you prefer "a baker's dozen"?

Nah, few is 2 to 3 months for me. I figure it'll still work after 12-19 for some time, so its actually more than 13 months. Who knows, MS may extend support for stubborn users like myself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss