is windows phone dead

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
No, but Microsoft will switch off it's life support system in a few weeks time. Then it will breathe its last and it will be dead. Such a shame, so unnecessary and sad.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
It's not dead, but it is in the ambulance doing 90 mph to the nearest hospital and the EMTs are about to shock it. I don't think it's going to help.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Strike 1: No more updates to the OS
Strike 2: No new devices to run the unsupported OS
Strike 3: No new apps to run on non-existent devices using an unsupported OS.

Yeah, it's over and done with. It was a good run, and there will be people holding on until the bitter end. My 950XL is now sitting in the drawer with the battery removed. I'll hang on to it as an emergency backup for now, but the days of it being my daily use device are long gone.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
dear gawd, not another "is windows phone dead" thread.... this horse has been beaten till it's a puddle of mush... and yes I will be holding my X3 till the bitter end...

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Please look up the definition of the word "dead". Nonfunctioning now and permanently!
Mine works great and I have no plans to change from this beauty.

Last edited:

jmreuter

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
Best analogy would be Monty Python. Windows Phone sits up and says "I'm not dead yet!". Then Microsoft clubs it over the head again.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
My thoughts are that people are going to give the literal definition of "dead" to make themselves feel better but the answer is yes, it's done, just like Symbian and BBOS.

I think "Words matter". Literally and actually. Knowledgeable people use them to communicate accurately and politicians/ marketing people mis-use them to further their own purposes. Common people exaggerate for effect, to promote their point of view. Dead = No longer alive, no life, non -functional.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Sort of. I still use a 950XL as a daily driver and it works great. I have a V20 for back-up and turn it on every couple weeks to make sure it's updated and that's about it. I travel a lot and prefer W10M because the battery lasts longer. Being able to prevent apps from running in the background is a HUGE deal to me. Anyway, I will use my 950XL to the bitter end and hopefully at that time I can choose something other than android and apple.

Tsepz_GP

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I think "Words matter". Literally and actually. Knowledgeable people use them to communicate accurately and politicians/ marketing people mis-use them to further their own purposes. Common people exaggerate for effect, to promote their point of view. Dead = No longer alive, no life, non -functional.
Okay then, it's as alive as Symbian. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3