My 950XL last shut down

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
So my 950XL did fail me last tuesday, I was just arriving home and unlock the phone to answer some notification and for my 'horror' half the screen was like 'tv noise'. I knew right way that that's was a hardware failure but I did try anyway all the 'try to make it worck again stuf', soft reset, hard reset, but like it was expected, nothing worked out. So, since the Surface Phone ou Andromemeda or wathever is gona be called if it will came the day that is actually released, after almost 9 years of WMP and WP, sadly, ists time to move on. I picked up a P20 Pro and after 2 days I'm feeling more and more anger at MS. While i do love the hardware, i hate android big time. I instaled all the MS services on it, especially the MS launcher because I hate the way android looks and MS launcher is a bit more nice, clean, maybe that was part of the problem, now i get some lag, the software dos not work fluid as you expect from a new phone, an then ther are way to mucht menus that you have to go thru just o change little stuff. I'ts nice to have some of the app that WP lost thru the years butt WP was just so mucht easyer. So maybe I'm doing somthing wrong, I don't know it any of you have the same problem expecially with the launcher. Shame on you MS for making me move way from something i really like.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the loss, I've been that path before.
That half screen white noise.... I had that with my 1520 before it totally died. I cannibalised it for parts for two other units of 1520s in the family...

That was more than two years ago, and I switch to a 950XL. So far its holding up, the camera is still excellent. But its looking more likely day by day I'll be looking a bugged-eye android as replacement

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I had my first Windows mobile 6.5 in 2008, Samsung Omnia, and since that I did had about 7 phones between WM and WP, and now its weird for me to move to something very different and that now you ate basically obligated to chose fron two 'brands', its like to buy a car and only have two companys to choose from, it's kinda mind-boggling.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the demise of your 950XL, tough losing an old friend you were comfortable with.

I own the P20 & P20 Pro running EMUI 9.0 w/stock launchers on both. Can't say I have experienced any lag whatsoever or the lack of fluidity as you so stated... owned P20 Pro since June 2018 and P20 since Feb 2019, Pro is still running as setup out-of-box having not noticed any performance degradation in that time. Possible maybe you've gotten a rouge app causing issues? Have you tried a hard reset starting afresh? Can't really see a setting that would cause such per se other than...

Could enable "developer mode" and reduce the windows animations as this can make a huge difference. Personally wouldn't recommend turning them completely off but changing from 1x to 0.5x works well.

To enable developer mode and access...

- go to settings
- go to system
- go to about phone
- hit the build number like 5 times or more eventually the developer mode will appear
- you will see developer options back one page in settings where you clicked on about phone at bottom

scroll through developer mode options and look for windows animations (defaults are 1x), reduce each to 0.5x as shown in screenshot of my P20...

animation_settings.jpg

I'll agree the menus/settings can be a little daunting and intimidating if one is unfamiliar with the platform... I've been using Android for years starting in 2008/09. Started off w/Windows Mobile Professional (6.0) in 2007, Android 2008/09, Blackberry 2010/12, Windows phone/Phone 2012 to 2016ish but started the switched back to Android in 2015 after W10M failed to meet my needs. Still have three WP's but they rarely see the light of day.

Any way good luck :smile:

PS... if not done so already check out Windows Central's sister site Android Central...

https://www.androidcentral.com/

Last edited:

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the demise of your 950XL, tough losing an old friend you were comfortable with.

I own the P20 & P20 Pro running EMUI 9.0 w/stock launchers on both. Can't say I have experienced any lag whatsoever or the lack of fluidity as you so stated... owned P20 Pro since June 2018 and P20 since Feb 2019, Pro is still running as setup out-of-box having not noticed any performance degradation in that time. Possible maybe you've gotten a rouge app causing issues? Have you tried a hard reset starting afresh? Can't really see a setting that would cause such per se other than...

Could enable "developer mode" and reduce the windows animations as this can make a huge difference. Personally wouldn't recommend turning them completely off but changing from 1x to 0.5x works well.

To enable developer mode and access...

- go to settings
- go to system
- go to about phone
- hit the build number like 5 times or more eventually the developer mode will appear
- you will see developer options back one page in settings where you clicked on about phone at bottom

scroll through developer mode options and look for windows animations (defaults are 1x), reduce each to 0.5x as shown in screenshot of my P20...

I'll agree the menus/settings can be a little daunting and intimidating if one is unfamiliar with the platform... I've been using Android for years starting in 2008/09. Started off w/Windows Mobile Professional (6.0) in 2007, Android 2008/09, Blackberry 2010/12, Windows phone/Phone 2012 to 2016ish but started the switched back to Android in 2015 after W10M failed to meet my needs. Still have three WP's but they rarely see the light of day.

Any way good luck :smile:

PS... if not done so already check out Windows Central's sister site Android Central...

https://www.androidcentral.com/

Thanks for the tip, that actually did the trick, it seems faster now, although I'm pretty sure that the problem is some glitch on the MS launcher. I had a Windows mobile 6.5 in 2008, Samsung Omnia, after that, Omnia7, Luimia 620,625,640,925,930,950xl. Even that the change was a question of time, thanks MS, i'ts a painful one. I'm still confident that ending the consumer phone market was a very bad move that will come to bite MS *** in the near future.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, that actually did the trick, it seems faster now, although I'm pretty sure that the problem is some glitch on the MS launcher. I had a Windows mobile 6.5 in 2008, Samsung Omnia, after that, Omnia7, Luimia 620,625,640,925,930,950xl. Even that the change was a question of time, thanks MS, i'ts a painful one. I'm still confident that ending the consumer phone market was a very bad move that will come to bite MS *** in the near future.

You're welcome glad we could be of some help. Definitely could be a launcher issue as I've read many complaints about EMUI being finicky when using such, one of the reasons I chose to run stock and I'm happy enough doing so.

Both my early Windows Mobiles were HTC's (P4000/Touch Diamond) WM 6.0/6.5, not the best experience that's for sure. Returned in 2012 with the Samsung Ativ S running Windows 8.0. Think this was my most favourable Windows phone experience as it worked great in daily use being a smooth operator, its downfall was Microsoft's "change of direction" to W10M that left the Ativ S out in the cold. Moved onto the L1020 (awesome camera) but it too got left behind plus was in that realm where it was outdated from the start so to speak. Onto the 830, 650, and 950 after that which we still own.

Yeah for me it has already bit them in the butt personally. I have little to no interest whatsoever in anything MS does these days for two reasons, what transpired on the phone front and Windows 10 for PC. The latter has been an utter nightmare only recently showing signs it is getting better... Using a PC now is out of necessity rather than "wanting too". Pretty much tossed the majority of their services off any device I own too with the odd one seeing the occasional use, soon though it'll be none. Essentially MS began to lose me in early 2015 with a downward swing ever since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs