What is your final Windows Phone?

anon(9275303)

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Last Windows phone for me was the Alcatel Idol 4S. Other than the camera, a very good phone. But the camera, some OS bugs, and the lack of a few particular apps finally pushed me to switch to Android in June 2017. Been happy there since.

fat8893

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Currently using my Lumia 950 XL as my daily driver. However, that won't be my final Windows Phone device as I had set my eyes on the legendary Lumia 1020.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
What was the last Windows Phone you used (or are still using?)

For me, it was the HP Elite x3. As good as it felt and looked, the OS experience had become so bad, I had to finally make the switch over to Android.

Lumia 950 was my last Windows phone. Overall, pretty disappointing device after spending 2 years using a 1520, although I really loved continuum and used it daily for years. So many missed opportunities, Microsoft. So many....

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Switched to W10M after years on android...bloat, bugs, ads, rapid battery drain, etc. which drove me to Win10M in 2016 when I switched from Sprint to TMo. Purchased an Idol 4S on sale and enjoyed everything except the camera. After 8 months of use the battery started failing, randomly dropping from 50% to low battery. Moved backed to android with V20 and start having same old android issues. F that. Moved back to W10M in August 2018 with new 950XL purchased on ebay for $250. Still working great today and continues to be my daily driver. Hoping for a small ARM W10 device with capability to text and make calls. Otherwise, I will settle for a free iPhone from my employer.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Switched to W10M after years on android...bloat, bugs, ads, rapid battery drain, etc. which drove me to Win10M in 2016 when I switched from Sprint to TMo. Purchased an Idol 4S on sale and enjoyed everything except the camera. After 8 months of use the battery started failing, randomly dropping from 50% to low battery. Moved backed to android with V20 and start having same old android issues. F that. Moved back to W10M in August 2018 with new 950XL purchased on ebay for $250. Still working great today and continues to be my daily driver. Hoping for a small ARM W10 device with capability to text and make calls. Otherwise, I will settle for a free iPhone from my employer.

Yeah, I was the same, came from android originally. I'm hoping you can somewhat avoid ads these days, but that's what's always struck me about the system, it's like a bad website, the whole thing is funded by ads, the apps and the OS itself.

Well that and the UI. Nothing is centrally organised particularly well. Unfortunately, it's all I've got when support goes to poop. I couldn't really do apple either, so going to have to lineageOS.

Narek Torosyan

May 31, 2019
Visit site
I didn't have a Windows phone when Microsoft was pushing the OS very hard.
In the last years, I got a 640 XL and instantly loved the WP OS. (Not the phone, it's slow.)
If Microsoft reboots WP with a Windows on Arm-based kernel, I might even get a Microsoft phone for regular use.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 950 was my last Windows phone. Overall, pretty disappointing device after spending 2 years using a 1520, although I really loved continuum and used it daily for years. So many missed opportunities, Microsoft. So many....

I miss my Lumia 1520 also.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I was the same, came from android originally. I'm hoping you can somewhat avoid ads these days, but that's what's always struck me about the system, it's like a bad website, the whole thing is funded by ads, the apps and the OS itself.

Well that and the UI. Nothing is centrally organised particularly well. Unfortunately, it's all I've got when support goes to poop. I couldn't really do apple either, so going to have to lineageOS.

Haven't heard of lineageOS... Did some research and it appears to be successor to Cyanogen. Bingo! I used to run cyanogen on my Samsungs. Loved it when I could get it installed and functioning properly. Rather do that than Apple.

David Barnes5

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 830, an overpriced midrange phone, but still the last Nokia-branded Microsoft Lumia. The software updates ruined it for me, and that’s why I bought it, because it was 10 ready. Edge never worked properly, then the lack of app support did it in. Even Bill Gates had an Android phone and MS was putting out Android apps before apps for 10 mobile. I finally threw in the towel and got an Honor 7x. Have all the MS apps on it. Runs MS Exchange and O365.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
My 830, 650, 950 reside in a dark place. Pulled out the 950 (last to purchase) a couple of weeks or so ago only to find out the enthusiasm for the platform has all but vanished. Too much of the same old that we had gripes about in the past are still present, essentially the OS never got to a point of maturing as MS gave up before allowing it to do so.

On Android now being very happy having no desire to replicate anything WP whatsoever.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 830, an overpriced midrange phone, but still the last Nokia.. .

That's spot on... . the "affordable flagship" I still keep mine on house WiFi. for YouTube music & browsing. It was a nice little phone though. I thought it worked better on W8.1M than W10. The back camera doesn't work anymore, unfortunately. I found it was much better on 8.1 than WM10.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
That's spot on... . the "affordable flagship" I still keep mine on house WiFi. for YouTube music & browsing. It was a nice little phone though. I thought it worked better on W8.1M than W10. The back camera doesn't work anymore, unfortunately. I found it was much better on 8.1 than WM10.

Agreed, nice little phone and yes it definitely worked better running W8.1M. Was my second most/longest used Wp/WP (Ativ S takes the crown here) w/camera holding its own quite well. Aside from being gimped running W10M it's still fully functional.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The Lumia 1520 currently. Although it's a media device only. No phone or texting in use. Contemplating on how to get another 950 xl though too. They are great devices for media consumption. Phone calls, messaging, or other essential apps just can't even compare to Android or even Apple anymore .... Is really sad to see Microsoft give up so easily.

Pete Woodward

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
My wife & I have just moved from Lumia 830 (her) and Lumia 950 (me) to Android 9.0. On both of our Windows phones, we had been having increasingly frequent problems with apps and with the cameras, so we decided to finally shift. We are still both fully into the Microsoft ecosystem so our first installation was the Microsoft Launcher. Although we liked the intuitive, 'pc-like' UI of Windows mobile, we do now appreciate the option to have a very clean start screen. The key factor, however, is function over form. We now have four generations of Windows phones that various members of our familyhave owned over the years, sitting in a drawer; All Lumias: 520, 625, 830 & 950. The 520 I have been using for years as a (very robust) alarm clock that can handle being knocked into the tiled bedroom floor most mornings, the 625 just died, but I use it as a paper-weight, the 830 we haven't yet decided on its repurposing, and the 950 has now replaced the 520 as an alarm clock (and occasional media player ). However, we are going to offer the 830 & 950 to our local red cross if dcotors abroad can still use them. RIP Windows mobile, gone but never forgotten, but we're all forced to seek green pastures. Before embarking on the Windows mobile journey we had Android phones, so at least these days we can keep our involvement with Google to a mimimum! 😊

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Lumia as a alarm clock? I haven't downgraded my 830 or 950XL to that extend yet. Haha!
That's because I have one of these babies, a Nokia 6303 classic. It last more than a couple of months on a full charge!!
c76cab6c10e4bc80c03efba93aad61b0.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa