New app on wpf or uwp?

goodintentions

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Long time member here. Haven't logged on to here for years. Since I last logged on, I have founded an investment company. Been concentrating all my energy on it.

Anyway, recently, I started having an idea for an app. I'm thinking it will be for internal use in my company and eventually we could publish it to send out to the wild. I'll be writing the app myself. Meant to be used on windows platform.

So, the question is this. For long term, is wpf still a go-to platform or is uwp proven enough? One thing about wpf that never stopped bothering me was the fact that it was never designed to support touch screen. All my apps in wpf I had to write my own code to support using it on touch screen devices with ease. Eventually, I want my people to be able to use this app in the field on our tablets and laptops with touch screens. So, from this perspective, uwp is the go-to.

But after doing a search, there's still a lot of hate for uwp out there. A lot of programmers still swear up and down that they would rather cut off their own arms and eat their own relatives before they touch uwp with a 10 foot pole. Ok, that was an exaggeration, but you get the point.

Simply put, is uwp here to stay or could MS kill off uwp in the near future? Are we safe to develop or all our LOB apps with uwp?

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Simply put, is uwp here to stay or could MS kill off uwp in the near future? Are we safe to develop or all our LOB apps with uwp?

I believe Microsoft is sticking with UWP for the long haul. The latest design guides for apps do look great and like David said, there are new devices coming out which can benefit from UWP. And personally, I believe in the future of them. Build it and users could come...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss