Surface W8 Pro will sell, but not overthrow iPad

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think the RT version will be a niche product and Pro will be seen as a replacement for laptops/ultrabooks. People will still buy iPads, alongside the Surface Pro. The Pro version will be seen as a necessity and iPad an accessory (like an MP3 player or mobile phone). And you know what? I think MS and Apple are okay with that. I truely believe the two are working together to get rid of Google.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I somewhat agree with that. The RT will have a hard time competing with the iPad considering it will probably lack of quality apps for the Metro interface and it will take time to populate the marketplace with them.

Now the Pro version is something else. Full Windows desktop experience plus Metro tablet= WIN! It will be like owning a MacBook Air Touch! :confused: :cool:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
And why get the RT version when you can get both with the Pro? It's like, when asked, most people would opt to pay more for unlimited data, even if they don't come close to using 2GB.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think it will overthrow the iPad, a case that doubles as a keyboard? Who would've thought, that's absolutely brilliant.

But how long before the iPad gets the same accessory? I'm willing to bet a 3rd party will come out with one, even before the Surface is released.

Last edited:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
A third party cannot integrate the kickstand though. That is a genius design feature IMO.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Yeah thats cool. But I don't know if an integrated kickstand would be a deciding factor to buy tablet A over tablet B.

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The RT will eventually catch up in apps because consumers will buy it since it is light and thin. The Pro is thick and heavy and has more features but not many people will buy it due to its thickness and weight.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The RT will eventually catch up in apps because consumers will buy it since it is light and thin. The Pro is thick and heavy and has more features but not many people will buy it due to its thickness and weight.

The Surface W8 Pro is thicker and lighter than the Surface RT, yes. But who's to say that Nokia or Samsung won't come out with a lighter W8 Pro version? The Surface isn't going to be the only W8 tablet out there. I don't see a reason why OEMs can't integrate cover KB and kickstand on their devices.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd get the Pro directly from Microsoft just to avoid all the crapware OEMs love to add.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No MS store here either, but online would work. I usually order PC hardware online anyway, from newegg.com.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
No MS store here either, but online would work. I usually order PC hardware online anyway, from newegg.com.

Oh thats true. I keep forgetting there's an online MS store. DUH! Thanks for reminding me :D

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Depends. And being that both tablets have full desktop capabilities, you van use a lot of apps through the web. Google chrome? Angry birds? Facebook? Words with friends? See where I'm going with it?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Depends. And being that both tablets have full desktop capabilities, you van use a lot of apps through the web. Google chrome? Angry birds? Facebook? Words with friends? See where I'm going with it?

Now you just confused me right there. I don't think it has been verified that RT will have desktop. I'm going off the notion that RT will only have Metro and the other versions will have both.

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't want any of these companies to go away. I like what each of them has to offer for different reasons. I like that there are different flavors out there for everyone. It provides for companies to develop. Imagine always standing in line for the same bread day after day. Nothing changes. Is that the world you would want? If so, you are living in the wrong country.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I don't want any of these companies to go away. I like what each of them has to offer for different reasons. I like that there are different flavors out there for everyone. It provides for companies to develop. Imagine always standing in line for the same bread day after day. Nothing changes. Is that the world you would want? If so, you are living in the wrong country.

Woah woah woah! I didn't say that's I want. I said I think that's what they want. Choice is good for us consumers, bad for them (MS & Apple). Google disrupted their business models by providing a free mobile OS. Its as simple as that.

ModeratorOMD

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I think the RT version will be a niche product and Pro will be seen as a replacement for laptops/ultrabooks. People will still buy iPads, alongside the Surface Pro. The Pro version will be seen as a necessity and iPad an accessory (like an MP3 player or mobile phone). And you know what? I think MS and Apple are okay with that. I truely believe the two are working together to get rid of Google.

As for desktop computing, Windows still reigns supreme. Yes, you see a lot more people with Macs nowadays, but if it weren't for Windows on them, I don't think people would buy very many of them.

There's nothing stopping Windows 8 from being a blockbuster. It's the tablet everyone's been waiting for, because there hasn't been a real tablet until now.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The Surface W8 Pro is thicker and lighter than the Surface RT, yes. But who's to say that Nokia or Samsung won't come out with a lighter W8 Pro version? The Surface isn't going to be the only W8 tablet out there. I don't see a reason why OEMs can't integrate cover KB and kickstand on their devices.

Maybe because of the batteries. As far as I know, the Intel processors aren't as power efficient as the ARM ones, so you need a larger capacity battery, and that, of course, takes up more space.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte