Surface Pro vs RT

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about this today, because I'm looking to replace my convertible laptop with a Surface, and I can't help but think that as nice as the Pro's functionality would be, I don't need the horsepower in my daily life and for the price difference I could program MCUs on a $300 Wal-mart special e-machine with Windows 8 next year.

Only thing that's making me think otherwise is that I really really really want the full HD screen.

Anyone else having an internal debate as to what they need vs want with these things(that aren't even to market yet)?

Maybe an RT will keep me content until 2013 with Intel's Haswell hits the streets.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Get what meets your needs. I spend all day at work on a desktop, and a good part of what I do a home is easier on a desktop (video & photo editing, etc.) . But for browsing, checking mail, watching Netflix, controlling my Xbox, etc., the Rt will work nicely. Good price, fast start and great battery life. Work for me.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I think i have decided that i will get an rt. I have spent the past month using an ipad and more recently a galaxy tab 2.0 7" my main computing devices and the only thing i have needed to use our desktop the office for is websites that use flash. There have been two that are completely tablet incompatible. And on a windows rt tablet, i could have just opened those up in desktop ie. I'm seeing more and more that i really don't need a full x86 system my daily driver. Our current desktop will be more than sufficient for the very rare occasion i need an x86 system.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The geek in me wants the Pro.

But I'm getting a new desktop PC soon anyway. I do some pretty graphics intensive work, so a tablet without a high end graphics card isn't practical for me.

So I may get the RT. Since it will have Office, it will already be more than capable enough to handle what non-graphics tasks I throw at it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Pro, only one of the two stated to have stylus support.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Is that confirmed?
One cannot buy a working stylus for RT?

AutoDesk has a Sketchbook app on the RT side. I would hope RT slates could use a stylus.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The rt could use any stylus designed for use on the ipad or tablets, just notions like the surface pro has with palm block or like Samsung's pen.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
The reasons I have to get a Surface Pro are the digital ink (mainly to annotate stuff when reading my ebooks) and the full HD screen (purely a want).

Main reasons to go with RT is it does absolutely everything else I want + it's CHEAPER. My desktop is only 6 months old, so I'm guessing HP is not really all that necessary for a tablet.

Being a MedStudent still makes the price factor a really decisive one.

I like the proposal seen up there. Get a RT now, and then a Surface Pro when they hit next year with Intel's new next-big-thing. (Hahaha if only I had the money)

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Pro absolutely. I rather buy more powerful stuff so it holds for a few years, and because of the compatibility of software too. Always rather had x86 than ARM.

4hab

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I'll take the RT. It is more interesting, because it is the first ARM-Windows and Im excited, what will be possible with this Windows version. Pro can do everything. Thats nice, but kind of boring too. I like to see the growth of an completely new eco system and I want to be a part of that growth.

Besides, Surface RT is thinner and less heavy than the pro version. :)

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think I am going RT myself but price will decide which way I go. I really only need a RT Surface and that’s what I have my sights set on. But if the Surface pro isn't much more I may go that route if the battery life is as good or equal to the RT.

CoopII

nrtv20

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Depends on Apps

If the new app store is identical on the Pro and RT then I will get the Pro or something similiar to a transformer tablet on x86. If the RT starts to get more apps I will go that direction. I will not be a pre-order buyer this time around but I do want one and will decide a few months after launch.

rohitharsh

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
First of all we do not know about battery life of either RT or Pro nor do we know anything about price.
Having said that RT should suffice for casual computing and also some spreadsheet work as it has Office RT too.
My girlfriend will be getting the RT and I will get the Pro :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
and I can't help but think that as nice as the Pro's functionality would be, I don't need the horsepower in my daily life

For your decision the question of "Horsepower" is almost irrelevant.

All WinRT apps (apps built for the metro style Windows 8 touch user interface) will all work great on a Surface RT. It is highly unlikely that you'll ever encounter a WinRT app which will leave you wishing for more "horsepower".

The only real question is weather you can get by without access to full blown windows applications, as none of them will run on Surface RT. Furthermore, most of your tablet computing needs should be fulfilled at the outset, as you won't find many 3rd party apps for you RT tablet at the beginning.

If those limitations aren't a big issue for you, go with RT. If you are looking more for a laptop replacement, you definitely need PRO, but due to it's support for windows applications, not because of it's higher computing performance.

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I'D be happy if I could see what sensors will be on the RT and what apps will be available from the get go. What I need most are Spotify and a really good GPS drive app. I'm satisfied I can wait on most other apps but I really need these to start. I want to leave all these legacy apps behind legacy is the ball and chain that's been holding the OS back for the last decade.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos