Can we get some pricing already?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
This is getting crazy. We are less than 6 weeks from D-Day (Oct. 26) and we do not have pricing on a single Windows 8 device. This was not a big deal on past Windows launches as price were expected to stay the same because the products were mostly the same. But with Windows 8 we are expecting one new product category (ARM devices) and two greatly expanded product lines (Hi power Core iX series tablets/convertables and low power Atom/AMD powered tablets/convetables). We are so close to launch date that companies will have had to roll into production mode already for launch devices in order to build up an inventory and get devices shipped to their destination stores. The Best Buys and Amazons and the like will have already placed orders for launch devices, and would have needed to know MSRP to make ordering desicions. So why keep the consumer in the dark? Why not make some announcements and let the marketing machine begin to build up some hype. There are a large number of people that don't follow technology news that that don't even know a new version of Windows is about to launch.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
They're going to pull an Apple and announce pricing right before release

Company's NYC announcement is on October 25. They're going to blow it out and dominate the news cycle.

You'll have:
Windows 8 launch party
Surface pricing, release the next day
Windows Phone 8 full announcement, release that next week
Xbox Music announcement, release the next day

Perhaps a darkhorse Xbox 720 / Office announcement as well

tayfelix

May 4, 2012
Visit site
25 Oct and BUILD gonna be full blast... Everyone gonna talk about MS like mad people. And tech news will flood about MS. Ehhehe. Looks like most RT tablets cost 599USD. Hope surface RT is lower... Eying on that..

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I really think that the market only has room for either RT tablets or Atom tablets to succeed. If Atom is price competitive and a good experience, people will pick these tabs because of the greater capabilities. If either of those elements are missing, RT will win the low price segment. If Atom is priced too close (within $150) of Ivy Bridge machines, people will likely elect to go with entry level Ivy Bridge machines vs. Atom machines.

I really hope that $350-$399 is the entry price for Windows 8 Tablets.

Side note: I think Intel should have changed the name of their entry level chips with the launch of Clover Trail if they are really that much better than previous Atom chips. The Atom name has a bit of a negative stigma due to its use on poor quality netbooks that were an awful experience. There are a decent number of people who see the Atom label and decide they don't want a machine based purely on that. I think they should market it as a Core i1 or core i2. It still denotes that it is a lower level of performance than the i3 and i5 series chips, but attaches a sought after name instead of a tarnished name to the chips.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I really think that the market only has room for either RT tablets or Atom tablets to succeed.

Not all sure about that.
Imo the ARM tablet market is unbelievably hard to get traction on. Amazon is delivering some amazing tablets for prices MS can't ever compete as Amazon is not selling hw or licensing it's software, it's selling platform where it can sell it's own content. Hardware is just a tool to them like Xbox and PS3 are for their companies so they can even sell the hardware for loss.
Ipad in a other hand has the premium tablet corner covered with overwhelming superiority on apps.

Atom i agree is big unknown. It all depends can Intel (or AMD) deliver adequate performance and battery life for full Windows 8.

Though to me at first it's still all about the i3, i5 and i7 tablets. You are getting some pretty great hardware for less or similar price as MacBook. To me having that i5 core in a 11-14" tablet with attachable keyboard made for creation and consumption is what i have been wanting for years.

I think Intel should have changed the name of their entry level chips with the launch of Clover Trail if they are really that much better than previous Atom chips. The Atom name has a bit of a negative stigma due to its use on poor quality netbooks that were an awful experience. There are a decent number of people who see the Atom label and decide they don't want a machine based purely on that. I think they should market it as a Core i1 or core i2. It still denotes that it is a lower level of performance than the i3 and i5 series chips, but attaches a sought after name instead of a tarnished name to the chips.

Totally agree. I laugh myself looking at some blogs that are not known for being too MS happy talking about Atom only on their Windows 8 articles. It always shows in the comments whenever you bring that Atom name and i can't blame people on it because those products really where bad.

Intel has a lot to proof with Clover Trail and i really hope they get it right.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Not all sure about that.
Imo the ARM tablet market is unbelievably hard to get traction on. Amazon is delivering some amazing tablets for prices MS can't ever compete as Amazon is not selling hw or licensing it's software, it's selling platform where it can sell it's own content. Hardware is just a tool to them like Xbox and PS3 are for their companies so they can even sell the hardware for loss.
Ipad in a other hand has the premium tablet corner covered with overwhelming superiority on apps.

Atom i agree is big unknown. It all depends can Intel (or AMD) deliver adequate performance and battery life for full Windows 8.

When I said that the market only had room for Atom or ARM, I was meant specifically in the Windows ecosystem. I should have said that. Both Atom and ARM are targeting the same market segment and taking two very different approaches. One, Intel, is trying to reign in a desktop class chip designs to work in a power limited, low budget environment. Meanwhile, ARM manufacturers are trying to beef up a low power architecture to deliver a satisfying experience in a more performance intense application. I still really believe it will come down to how well Atom chips (Clover Trail) are able to handle legacy applications. If they are garbage at it, as past Atom chips have been, then the market won't go for the compromises they ask (run hotter, more expensive, likely thicker and heavier) over ARM, if all they are really good at is the same things ARM Windows RT devices can do. However, if they are competent at legacy software, most people would gladly drop an extra $100 to get a full blown computer vs. a more iPad esque experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb