What Windows 8 Tablet did you get? or gonna get?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
So guys since most of the Windows 8 Tablets have released. I wanna ask

what tablet did you get or gonna get?

I gonna get the Samsung Ativ SmartPC

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Still planning to get Surface.. seems that OS language can be changed, so could order one from Germany.. Or then I could wait for them to come to Finland, but that could be next year..

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking at the Lenovo Yoga 13, but it'll be a while before I can afford it. But I've also been seeing reviews of it mention that while it has a 128GB SSD that only 43GB are available due to the way it's partitioned. That seems kind of ridiculous to me, so maybe that problem will get resolved before I start seriously looking to purchase one... assuming it's not something they intended.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I picked me up an Asus Vivo Tab RT yesterday. Tigerdirect.com had a one day sale that had it at $499.99, got Office Depot to price match it. Asus is giving anyone who buys it before the end of November a free keyboard dock. So $499 for a 10.1" Tegra 3 Windows RT tablet with a dock that totals 16 hours of battery? How could I say no?

Rebelatheart

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Leaning towards the Thinkpad 2.

I would consider another clover trail powered tablet if it had a keyboard dock that converted the tablet into a pseudo laptop that i could fold up and take with me, vs the Thinkpad 2 dock which appears to be just a keyboard with a spot to sit the tablet in. The surface keyboard setup to me is the most ideal, but I want an RT sized tablet with the x86 compatibility if I need it.

Not digging the Asus or the Samsung clover trail tablets really.

benjiprice

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for 7" style tablets to come out. I hate my iPad2 because it's too big, but I really like the Nexus 7. I'd be happy with a Nexus 7 with WP8 on it.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Same here, as it stands right now. I really want a tablet with a pen for taking handwritten notes. I've looked at other ones that will be available sooner, and either they are too low resolution (Samsung), too expensive and not using Wacom technology (Sony) or don't offer as large of a SSD drive as I want (Lenovo), so I guess at this point I'll just wait for the Surface Pro 128GB version.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Waiting on the surface pro

Same here, as it stands right now. I really want a tablet with a pen for taking handwritten notes. I've looked at other ones that will be available sooner, and either they are too low resolution (Samsung), too expensive and not using Wacom technology (Sony) or don't offer as large of a SSD drive as I want (Lenovo), so I guess at this point I'll just wait for the Surface Pro 128GB version.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Much as I dislike Samsung and their preference for using the cheapest of plastic I don't see myself paying $1000 for the Asus Vivo Tab and since nothing else has the same features I think i'm leaning towards the Ativ.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Much as I dislike Samsung and their preference for using the cheapest of plastic I don't see myself paying $1000 for the Asus Vivo Tab and since nothing else has the same features I think i'm leaning towards the Ativ.

Yeah, I'm not sure what makes Asus think that their Vivo Tab by itself worth $799, and the keyboard dock worth an extra $200. I mean, I know it has an extra battery in it, but it shouldn't cost $200. Too bad, because I like the idea of the extra battery. Not only does it extend battery life, but it'll make the combined keyboard + docked tablet feel more balanced like a laptop. It won't be prone to falling over backwards.

And again, $799 for the tablet only? The Samsung SmartPC WITH the keyboard is $50 less!

The HP Envy X2, which I thought was expensive from the start, is actually still cheaper than the Asus Vivo Tab + Keyboard. The Envy X2 is sold only with the keyboard dock I think, but the base model ($849) may start with only 32GB of storage and probably doesn't include the stylus. Also, no one seems to be sure what digitizer it's using (Samsung and Asus are using Wacom).

Meanwhile, the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 and Dell Latitude 10 are more of in their own category (aimed at business). I was confused by this before, after reading a thread somewhere else, it seems the Lenovo may actually start at $629, but only have 32GB of storage, 1GB of RAM, and no stylus. I'm not sure what the $649 price I've been hearing is for, but for $699, you can get it at the Microsoft Store and it'll have 64GB of storage, 2GB of RAM, and the stylus included according to their description. Even so, the Samsung is on sale at Staples for $599 right now.

Moving on to the accessories for the Lenovo--Keyboard with stand is $120, and that is not a dock. I think the keyboard connects via bluetooth, and the dock is a separate item that I'm not sure how much it costs. Hopefully the xx% coupons Lenovo offers sometimes will help bring the price down.

The Latitude 10 seems to be available for pre-order on Dell's site for $699, but right now until sometime in January I think they're offering $50 off, for a base price of $649. I don't think there's a keyboard for it, but there is a dock available for a whopping $145. And that is a dock WITHOUT a keyboard. Seriously, if these OEMs aren't getting you on the tablet price, they're getting you on the accessories. The stylus isn't included either, it's an additional $49. This is the only tablet that offers a swappable battery. It comes with a standard 2-cell battery, but you can get a 4-cell (twice the battery life?) for $80.

TL;DR - So for Lenovo vs Dell, if you're getting the tablet only, probably a slight edge to the Dell. You're both getting the same features for $699 (64GB storage, 2GB RAM, stylus) but the Dell you can replace the battery yourself.

And for the hybrids (Samsung, Asus, HP) the Samsung seems to win it on price. It's $100+ cheaper than the other two whether you're getting the tablet only, or tablet + keyboard. It does weigh a bit more, seems to lack NFC and Samsung does use plastic that feels... sort of cheap (but it doesn't mean build quality is poor) but it is priced right IMO. Plus, it's the only one available right now, although it is hard to find.

I'm still hoping the Asus realizes their mistake and drops the price.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Just makes you wonder, they've spent months talking these devices up but in typical fashion are almost all not available, lacking features and overpriced. No one should be surprised that the ipad continues to dominate for a long time to come.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Just makes you wonder, they've spent months talking these devices up but in typical fashion are almost all not available, lacking features and overpriced. No one should be surprised that the ipad continues to dominate for a long time to come.

Well I think nearly every company said their tablet was going to be ready by the 26th, but then around the beginning of October there were reports that there would be delays because Intel's power saving software or something like that for the Atom wasn't ready.

But that's the reason, it makes you wonder--how come the Samsung is already for sale, but the others aren't if they all use the same chip? And I still can't believe there's no review on the Samsung.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well I think nearly every company said their tablet was going to be ready by the 26th, but then around the beginning of October there were reports that there would be delays because Intel's power saving software or something like that for the Atom wasn't ready.

But that's the reason, it makes you wonder--how come the Samsung is already for sale, but the others aren't if they all use the same chip? And I still can't believe there's no review on the Samsung.

I heard that rumour but again it just goes to affirm that the OEM's surrounding MS's products are incompetent. Its not as though W8 was just introduced and Intel has claimed they worked closely with MS so why was the fault discovered so late?

And look at Asus saying their Nexux 7 shipments are now at the 1 million mark, they announced, released and are making dosh, and here again we are seeing the same thing that happened when the ipad was released, no response from Microsoft. They are doing a good job of riding themselves into irrelevance.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Waiting for Surface Pro, but will entertain other Pro tablet/convertibles that may show themselves in the interim. Basically I want a tablet that can sub as a small laptop, that I can also "dock" into a Monitor/KB/Mouse at a desk for a full PC as well. I'll still have a full desktop at home for my gaming needs, but otherwise this will be my work/general purpose device that I can use everywhere else.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I installed Win8 on my computer and love it. The RT portion of Win8 can get slow at times. As an example 'legacy' Skype loads faster than the RT Skype....
As for the Surface Pro... They said 90 days after Surface RT and because so few have gotten their RTs, we're talking about a February release date. Haswell is rumored to start production in December and to be available in devices in April. For this, i'll just wait 2 months and see what comes out.

dzdj

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I ended up getting the Asus VivoTab and don't regret it at all. I still don't get why Microsoft decided to nix NFC on the Surface. You can tap and send from RT to Windows Phone 8!

spinedoc

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Samsung Ativ smart PC a couple of days ago and am loving it. The Atom CPU does slow down at times, but not often and really only sometimes with cpu intensive activities.

For those concerned about the plastic it is VERY well built, sturdy and not a hint of flex. I think Samsung uses plastic because they know how to implement it so it's sturdy and long lasting.

For now I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. Dreams of the ivy bridge CPU keep floating thru my head, but I am waiting to see the battery life on those, I'm currently spoiled with all day power on the Ativ. I'm also not sold on the 11.6" form factor, I don't know if it's too large to carry around, or if I'm just used to 3 years of the ipad. Also I hear ATT is going to get a LTE version.

spinedoc

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh BTW the stylus on the Ativ is pressure sensitive, it rocks in photoshop elements and in autodesk sketchbook, as well as being awesome in oneNote, word, etc.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I ended up getting the Asus VivoTab and don't regret it at all. I still don't get why Microsoft decided to nix NFC on the Surface. You can tap and send from RT to Windows Phone 8!

I think someone mentioned that the VaporMg casing interfered.

I bought the Samsung Ativ smart PC a couple of days ago and am loving it. The Atom CPU does slow down at times, but not often and really only sometimes with cpu intensive activities.

For those concerned about the plastic it is VERY well built, sturdy and not a hint of flex. I think Samsung uses plastic because they know how to implement it so it's sturdy and long lasting.

For now I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. Dreams of the ivy bridge CPU keep floating thru my head, but I am waiting to see the battery life on those, I'm currently spoiled with all day power on the Ativ. I'm also not sold on the 11.6" form factor, I don't know if it's too large to carry around, or if I'm just used to 3 years of the ipad. Also I hear ATT is going to get a LTE version.

Wait for Haswell, if you get one with an Ivy Bridge CPU at best you're probably only going to get battery life similar to what you get in current ultrabooks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb