Dell XPS 10

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen any reviews but it seems a little pricey for an RT device. You should be able to get a Surface w/ keyboard a little cheaper. Personally I'd recommend searching for a tablet that runs full Win 8.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't need Windows 8 at home for what my wife and I do. I have a machine at home we can use as a server to host full Windows installs. Windows RT serves are needs for web browsing, media, and document creation. I'd rather the battery life and cloud-based computing. Besides the XPS 10 has a 92% keyboard.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
you know, I wouldn't bother with win RT now. I read earlier today that Samsung said that they weren't going to release their ativ pc(with win RT, not the one with win 8) in the US because they didn't think consumers saw the value in windows RT and I think they are right. Why would you by an RT tablet when you can buy a tablet with an intel atom for the same price, like the acer iconia w510? Even if you are just using it for basic use, the atom tablets, like the w510 only get like an hour less than the arm tablets yet can do so much more...For example, even though you and your wife might do simple tasks, how do you know she wouldn't like to run turbotax to do her taxes on? What happens if she goes to a website and wants to download an application? Windows has an absolute crap-load of applications, far more than the windows store, ipad, android, and probably OSX combined... I'm not saying that you are going to use everything x86 has to offer, but what if you wanted to, you can't do it all on RT.

I'm just saying that when you can get more for the same price, why not get more?

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of Atom. If Vizio was more forthcoming with details, that is something I'd consider. I really like the low power AMD chips' ability to handle video.

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I've used an XPS 10 extensively. Very good build quality, thin&light, etc. I prefer its rounded edges to the angular approach of the surface - easier to hold IMO. The only drawback is RT and its limited Apps, but you already knew this.

I would also add the XPS 10 can be purchased with their excellent kb/battery. Solid key travel and it adds another 10 hours of battery. Finally you can get a complete care warranty for only like $40 bucks. You drop and smash it, Delp sends you a new one. Heck of a deal if you have kids or are accident prone.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I know the XPS uses the Krait, just like my 920 ;) My reply re: Atom was in context of an x86 tablet.

Okay, my employer is also a Dell reseller, so I may be able to get a discount on the product as well.

The limitations of Windows RT don't bother me. I'm a fan of cloud and distributed computing and am itching to set up a private cloud at home.

Thanks for the feedback!

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
NP...glad to help. I personally like this better than the Surface, but we all have different tastes. I'm fond of the keyboard dock with battery due to my travel schedules...all day battery life is pretty awesome!

bruce1099

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the Latitude 10 with Windows 8 Pro. Great device. Completely replaced my laptop. I don't experience any performance issues. I am having trouble with Chrome displaying properly. I bought the pen and all the accessories. So far I am really pleased.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
you know, its funny that you say that bruce because I have the envy x2 and I think chrome just runs like crap on win8. IE10 is so much better, especially when it comes to the touch interface. The other thing I am wondering about is the intel atom...You say that you don't have any performance issues, neither do I, it runs all of the major windows x86 programs I need, but all the reviews say that the intel atom is slow which I am not finding to be the case. I just find it funny...

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
you know, its funny that you say that bruce because I have the envy x2 and I think chrome just runs like crap on win8. IE10 is so much better, especially when it comes to the touch interface. The other thing I am wondering about is the intel atom...You say that you don't have any performance issues, neither do I, it runs all of the major windows x86 programs I need, but all the reviews say that the intel atom is slow which I am not finding to be the case. I just find it funny...

You will only notice issues on the Atom with graphics intensive games or programs...for the most part its adequate for tablet needs

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Hey Ridemyscooter86, you had any chance to play any games on the X2 yet? Or reply to my questions about battery in the other thread? Sorry man, I know your busy but I'm still on the fence about pulling the trigger for this device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh, games no, the battery, how it works is that the dock recharges the tablet and powers it, so if the battery in the tablet is only 40% full for example and the battery in the dock is also 40% full, it will either use the battery on the dock to recharge the tablet when not in use or it will mostly use the battery on the dock and slowly recharge the tablet when in use. Games I still haven't tried yet, I did just load office 2013 and it works just fine though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon